The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emkiiie
thank you both! :wink: I oughta find a Catholic church as soon as I get to London.

Ooooh, London, eh? Which end? :ninja:
Reply 5521
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ooooh, London, eh? Which end? :ninja:

Southeast, as I'm going to Goldsmiths this September. Now I'm googling Catholic churches around there and central London :-9
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emkiiie
Southeast, as I'm going to Goldsmiths this September. Now I'm googling Catholic churches around there and central London :-9

Oooh, I did my Masters at Goldsmiths. Tiz a great uni - am sure you'll be happy there. Good luck with finding a church! I was gonna recommend a great priest in West London but you're the wrong side of town :p:
Reply 5523
Oooh, I did my Masters at Goldsmiths. Tiz a great uni - am sure you'll be happy there. Good luck with finding a church! I was gonna recommend a great priest in West London but you're the wrong side of town :p:

oh great to see an alumnus here! I'm thinking of visiting Westminster Cathedral first, then maybe a few more local churches round the place. Thanks a lot for the help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emkiiie
oh great to see an alumnus here! I'm thinking of visiting Westminster Cathedral first, then maybe a few more local churches round the place. Thanks a lot for the help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Westminster Cathedral is always a good starting place :yep: Goldsmiths had quite an active Catholic Soc from what I heard (not that I ever went :colondollar: ), so you should check that out too :yes:
Reply 5525
Original post by emkiiie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely look into the chaplaincy. They're quite likely to have an RCIA programme for students too, so you could go through all that with people your own age.

(just in case you don't know, RCIA = Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults - the course that adults wanting to join the Catholic Church go through :yep:)
Why is there a catholic and christian soc- aren't u all christians?
Reply 5527
Also, the final Mass is on at the moment. Homily is just starting!

http://wydcentral.org/live/
Reply 5528
Original post by Aula
Definitely look into the chaplaincy. They're quite likely to have an RCIA programme for students too, so you could go through all that with people your own age.

(just in case you don't know, RCIA = Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults - the course that adults wanting to join the Catholic Church go through :yep:)

You mean one on campus? That would be apparently convenient and comfortable with people of my age, but i'd rather separate my religious life from college life if possible. Thanks for the information tho... I should check it out as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5529
Original post by DCFCfan4eva

Catholicism is a specific denomination of Christianity. We do some things that others don't agree with, like pray with Saints and follow the Pope as the leader of God's church on Earth. Then there's the more technical things, like transubstantiation and justification.

Basically, this is a space where we can talk about things like the above to our hearts content :h:
Reply 5530
Original post by emkiiie
You mean one on campus? That would be apparently convenient and comfortable with people of my age, but i'd rather separate my religious life from college life if possible. Thanks for the information tho... I should check it out as well.

Yep. I don't know whether it'll be specific for Goldsmiths or if it'll be the University of London one. If it's the latter, then I've heard very good things about it.

It's up to you, of course, but personally I found being involved in the Catholic society at university very helpful for my faith: being surrounded by people of my own age and going on retreats and talks aimed at students. I'd definitely look into it. In all likelihood you'll meet different people there to who you'd meet on your course and in halls :yep:
Reply 5531
Hmm... This is now my third post in a row :colondollar:

Guys, post more please :colonhash:

Hmmm, Krakow COULD be doable, I guess. I'm presuming the best way to go is through a parish? That could be, um, interesting if so, given my non-church attendance :frown: Hopefully Fr S's parish might go and I can scrape into that group :ninja:

Krakow in 2016 it is :awesome:

Now to start saving up so I can afford to go :teeth:

See you all there?

What Aula said. You don't REALLY want a Catholic invasion of X Soc now, do you? :p:

Original post by Aula
Hmm... This is now my third post in a row :colondollar:

Guys, post more please :colonhash:

Sorry, was at the Proms :colondollar:

Krakow in 2016 it is :awesome:

Now to start saving up so I can afford to go :teeth:

See you all there?

How much am I looking to save? Bearing in mind I'm trying to go to Israel next year? :ninja:

Cath Soc WYD meet FTW :woo:
Reply 5533
Sorry, was at the Proms :colondollar:

All day? :hmmm:

How much am I looking to save? Bearing in mind I'm trying to go to Israel next year? :ninja:

Cath Soc WYD meet FTW :woo:

I don't really know. Madrid was around £1000 with my diocese, I imagine 2016'd be similar?
So you start saving up again post Israel :h:
Have a 'pilgrimage' account :mmm:
Original post by Aula
All day? :hmmm:

Prom started at 4.30pm and finished around 10.15pm. Except everyone clapped for bloody ages and then there were speeches and everything :nothing:

So basically all day. SO. MUCH. WAGNER :emo:

Btw, I'm running off Up North tomorrow with my mum. Not sure I've ever been that far North before. I may not survive :no:

:teehee:

I don't really know. Madrid was around £1000 with my diocese, I imagine 2016'd be similar?
So you start saving up again post Israel :h:
Have a 'pilgrimage' account :mmm:

Cool, that sounds potentially doable. Need to start saving some of my DLA each month in preparation :colone:
Reply 5535
Prom started at 4.30pm and finished around 10.15pm. Except everyone clapped for bloody ages and then there were speeches and everything :nothing:

So basically all day. SO. MUCH. WAGNER :emo:

Btw, I'm running off Up North tomorrow with my mum. Not sure I've ever been that far North before. I may not survive :no:

:teehee:

How far North? :sly:

The north is okay, depending on where you're going.

I survived 4 years in Durham...

Cool, that sounds potentially doable. Need to start saving some of my DLA each month in preparation :colone:

:colone:
Original post by Aula
How far North? :sly:

Preston and Lake Windermere. That's like, Up North, right? :ninja:

The north is okay, depending on where you're going.

I survived 4 years in Durham...

I'm one of these "everything above Watford is The North" people though :teehee:

:colone:

:ahee:

Think of the Christian society as the fast food society, and the catholic society as the McDonald's society :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Think of the Christian society as the fast food society, and the catholic society as the McDonald's society :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:ahee:

Though now you've put the Fast Food Rockers song in my head. Even I don't sink to such depths :no:

:p:
Hi everyone

Just thought i'd introduce myself and get to know everyone in this thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending