The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know exactly when the grade boundaries come out?
Original post by HPAG
Often parents do push their kids to "become doctors" or "golfers" (Tiger Woods parents) but I really do doubt they would achieve if they are not capable. James talks about how he is self made comes from middle class but not pushy parents. But he is not taking into account that self made is also a result of values built into a person by external influences.

The most important point though which is probably also what is stressing out others is the attitude that somehow because it is unfair that the underprivileged perform below par (I agree it unfair) that the privileged are dumb kids who are not capable and will fail and are mediocre doctors /lawyers. Please !! It is not their fault that they had the opportunities and parents that helped them perform to the best of their capabilities.

Please don't intertwine my point of view with James'. I don't care what his views are and what he previously wrote, I just didn't agree with the point about pushy parents not being a problem. I'm not talking about parents that help their students find their aptitudes and then give full control over to them (with some firmness so that time isn't completely wasted); this isn't pushy. I'm talking about those parents with high expectations that don't let their children forget how much pressure lies on their schooling success, who do actually force textbooks and ridiculous study hours down their throats - because these kids won't perform to the best of their capabilities, despite how it may seem that they do because of A levels and how limited its ability to measure true success and aptitude.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3742
Original post by Arva
There are lots of fair points here, I agree with most of what you say. The system is far too dependent on mark schemes (these of course work in subjects like Maths, Chemistry etc) in subjects where they don't belong so much. For every Economics paper I did I felt I was just jumping through hoops to tick the examiner's checkbook as many times as possible.

I still find it hard to wrap my head around the notion that we shouldn't make them more challenging because worse schools would suffer more, but maybe it would be a bad idea to make them more challenging after sorting the disaster that is state education (for the most part) in this country.

Although it's irrelevant to whether his policies are good or bad, Gove is indeed a bit of an arse.

Yes precisely!
I agree that there need to be reforms (And remember when I say they need to be less exam-orientated I do not necessarily mean easier) but Gove cannot in any way insist that schools adhere to making their students perform harder and under more rigid circumstances while the government continue to erode at education by insisting ~austerity is the key to everything~ while ignoring a need to invest in the poorer students. It's just paradoxical.

Invest in the students, make sure the system is even slightly more equal, and then reform A-Levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AspiringGenius
I think I will be ok with chemistry but only because I've got high scores in other units which make it a bit more leniant. AQA Chem uijfeiudsjvk.

UCL is good for chemistry? wat
Reply 3744
Original post by kevloui
LOL I like how this has turned on me. But that person was the only person who brought up true evidence and was neither for nor against either side. Which is where I stand.

The posts which aggressively attack the first persons statement about classes being a big influence on where we end up, sounded biased from the point of view of a private school student. I dont think I'm the only one who thinks so either.

All in all... the gove need to fix up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude that was a joke because you said his post was "the only reasonable, unbiased one", having posted on the subject yourself. :smile:

The first person's statement was not that classes are a big influence on where we end up, the first person's statement was this, for the record.

So many pompous privileged oiks oinking and oinking over their multitude of A*s, which is actually the result of coming from a pathetically insecure middle class family and having over-zealous parents rather than being a superior walk of life and making everyone else feel like worthless scum.
Original post by Ndella
Haha coincidence :smile:

Kent looks pretty good for History - there are soo many topics to choose from, and it's not to far from London. I think Reading looks good as well, and the grade requirements aren't too hard to achieve as long as I make a real effort in year 13. I have no idea where else to apply for, I'm not Oxbridge material lol. What about you? :smile:

I'm thinking about applying for Kent too, I also like East Anglia and Sheffield, although the latter is wishful thinking haha! The way I feel at the moment I'd be grateful to be accepted to anywhere. I'm not Oxbridge material either, I'm average at most :L
Reply 3746
Original post by Padouken
Please don't intertwine my point of view with James'. I don't care what his views are and what he previously wrote, I just didn't agree with the point about pushy parents not being a problem. I'm not talking about parents that help their students find their aptitudes and then give full control over to them (with some firmness so that time isn't completely wasted); this isn't pushy. I'm talking about those parents with high expectations that don't let their children forget how much pressure lies on their schooling success, who do actually force textbooks and ridiculous study hours down their throats - because these kids won't perform to the best of their capabilities, despite how it may seem that they do because of A levels and how limited its ability to measure true success and aptitude.

Don't worry Padouken, we understood your point :biggrin:
Original post by Alii_786
To people collecting A2 results and awaiting on uni for their decision:
What are you guys going to do first, log in to track to see what happened or are you guys going to go and collect results first?
I personally won't be able to resist, as I'll be so tempted to log into track :redface:

I will definitely NOT be logging into Track, because I'd rather get it all over and done with with my results. If it says declined on my firm and then I have to wait to get my results it's gonna drive me crazy :frown:
I still don't believe in this strategy. People's best work comes from their own desire to learn a particular subject or range of subjects. If people just learn something because they're told by their parents that it's the only way forward, similar to house chores, then sure, they'll reap results, but they'll eventually hit a wall. I think it is a problem, because a lot of kids go into a profession or area of study that they wouldn't of considered had it not been for their pushy parents; you end up with mediocre doctors and lawyers etc, but their aptitudes could have been put to better use somewhere else.

I'm not saying you believe in pushy parents, I'm saying that it can be a problem, especially if the child didn't have a choice.

And yea, with reference to the other guy's post, A levels majorly suck.

Pushy parenting works. It might not be the best method, but the children of pushy parents tend to be much smarter than average. True, the ones with pushy, rather than supportive, parents might not all end up at Oxbridge or the top of their field, but it still works.

Original post by venenecinema
I had responded to your original comment and I apologise for being so blunt now but you could definitely have worded it better - you did come across as being incredibly butthurt. I agree with SOME of this, I watched my state school turn into an academy and become increasingly starved for resources. The number of people who dropped out at GCSE is ludicrous.

Academies have more funding than non-academy state schools.
Reply 3749
UCL is good for chemistry? wat

No if you read the previous posts he's gone for medicine but reckons his chemistry exams have gone ok.
Reply 3750
Original post by Arva
Dude that was a joke because you said his post was "the only reasonable, unbiased one", having posted on the subject yourself. :smile:

The first person's statement was not that classes are a big influence on where we end up, the first person's statement was this, for the record.

Haha it's all good man, that first guy just seemed angry lol
Reply 3751
Original post by shaminn
Boundaries should be released on the 14th, so Wednesday. If i'm not mistaken, it should be around Midnight, but it depends on whether someone who has access to them can broadcast them to all of us (which usually does happen on TSR!)

Midnight on wednesday night (so basically thursday morning) or midnight as in very early wednesday morning?
Can't sleep! Might just do an all nighter for the next 3 days!!

Just can't stop thinking about it!
Original post by kingdoo
Oh hey nice to meet you are you wanting to to Leicester then? Are you applying for 2013 or 2014?:biggrin:

Nice to meet you too :smile:

Leicester is my firm for 2013 for English.
Original post by popnit
No if you read the previous posts he's gone for medicine but reckons his chemistry exams have gone ok.

My badness.
Original post by JFA 95
And lest we forget Gove is the most privileged and elite, indifferent prick to ever tread the Earth.

Michael Gove was adopted into a lower-middle class family, and won a scholarship to fund his way through private school. He is not a privileged, posh muppet - every privilege he has, he earned through being intelligent and hard-working. Your post was good, but it comes across as foolish when you put such uninformed, slanderous views across.

And Gove's changes won't do anything. Changing exams and schools at a structural level has miniscule effects. The greatest changes can be made at a school level - hence why some schools thrive on the current system and others flounder. Despite what people on both sides of the debate might say, Gove's changes will not bring rigour back into the system, or take us back to the 1950s.
Reply 3756
Original post by wolf-pack
I'm thinking about applying for Kent too, I also like East Anglia and Sheffield, although the latter is wishful thinking haha! The way I feel at the moment I'd be grateful to be accepted to anywhere. I'm not Oxbridge material either, I'm average at most :L

Oh yes, I also considered UEA, I'd hate to live in Sheffield for 3 years though, judging from what my dad said, it's virtually the countryside lol:biggrin: but I guess it must be good in terms of the syllabus and stuff :smile:. I know how you feel, I'm worried I won't be taken seriously, but the weird thing is that I'm not worried about results day yet, I'm too relaxed! Ugh, my sixth form are favouring the oxbridge wannabes :rolleyes: its a bit annoying now.
Original post by Ollymurslove
Is that for all exam boards??

Original post by Hookie
Midnight on wednesday night (so basically thursday morning) or midnight as in very early wednesday morning?

Midnight, from Tuesday night, INTO early Wednesday morning. Yes this will be the case for EVERY exam board, it may be the case that some exam boards will release boundaries at 8AM on Wednesday morning, whilst others may by Midnight.
Original post by needtosucceed=)
yep definitely sure! check exam boards websites, they'll tell u the same thing.

practical resits are free?! so if ur in AS and resat an AS practical during the year its free. you only have to pay £20 if during year 13 you chose to resit any year 12 practicals. no matter how many u resit its £20, per subject.

I think some of it must be an 'admin charge' for the office's effort or something then... I guess the higher price does discourage people from retaking everything loads though, which is a good thing...
Practical coursework can be retaken as much as you want as long as your teacher agrees (i.e. only occasionally, and then only once...), I was more talking about practical exams like for dance/ drama/ PE/ language oral exams, where an external examiner must come in specially for you/ the school has to record it + send it off + have it marked specially (i.e. more effort than for normal exams).
I think it must vary a lot depending on the school - for some people resits are free (some of my friends who go to other schools/ go to my school but come from a disadvantaged background so wouldn't be able to afford them) whereas for others we are charged loads. :dontknow:
Anyone recieved emails from their university yet??? I got one from my uni which kind of got me depressed as it didnt hint of a "congratulations you're in" email but more of a what to do if you don't meet the offer but it also said what to do if you have met the offer

Maybe I'm being pessimistic here but it's hard not to be :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest