The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know when aqa release grade boundaries?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Free School Meals?

You know what I mean.

Yes, FSM = Free School Meals.

Do I know? :tongue:

Original post by Qwertish
Yes, sorry, I skimmed most of the lest few pages :tongue:. I do think there is a strong causal link between wealth and academic success (at least pre-University), since rich parents can afford to get tutors and whatnot for their kids.

Intellect is a different issue, and the wealth is probably largely a by-the-way kind of thing that comes as a result of the intellect.

But most rich people don't employ tutors. Why is there a gradual correlation when only the top 10% can afford tutors?
If I have one more grandparent/parent/sibling/aunt/uncle/friend/customer/stranger remind me about Thursday I will snap.

Them: Oh you get your results Thursday don't you!?
Me: REALLY. I HAD NO IDEA.
Reply 3883
Original post by nat.2013

00:01 on Thurs 15th Aug. I think.
Original post by nat.2013

Wednesday.
Reply 3885
Original post by Dilzo999
Guys do the grade boundaries come out exactly at 00:00 on the 14th?

Normally, yes.
They normally get circled around TSR so you might get them by 01:00 as they're never uploaded to the board's website at that time!

Some (EdExcel) says they give theirs out at 8am, but you find them before somehow...

:biggrin::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lou_100
If I have one more grandparent/parent/sibling/aunt/uncle/friend/customer/stranger remind me about Thursday I will snap.

Them: Oh you get your results Thursday don't you!?
Me: REALLY. I HAD NO IDEA.

They just want to make it apparent that they'll always be there for you when you fail.
Lolwut? No. Most rich people earn more because their parents were also successful in their career or business and hence earned enough money to send their kids to a superior school.

Yes, because their parents' parents inherited enough money to send their kids to a superior school, the cycle goes on and harks back to hundreds of years in some cases. I'm aware of the term new-money as well. I'm aware it's not always as black and white as this, but in lots of cases it does seem to be...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3888
Original post by JamesTheCool
Okay, perhaps I saw something on TV as a kid that instilled a lasting motivation to study hard. At least I didn't get it from my bloody parents. :littleangel::laugh:
Also, I'm an only child which might explain a lot, as only children tend to be very hardworking and ambitious.

I love my parents and am proud of my achievements due to their support and value systems instilled in me by my parents. (Don't tell my parents I said that)

Only child, First child (3 or more kids), middle child (3 kids), I've heard arguments for all 3. Not for the youngest child though.

Well of course not all privileged kids are dumb. The reality is that people generally are dumb, which explains why the majority of state school kids either don't go to university and pursue miserable careers instead, or they go to 'lesser' universities (not to sound snobby). The only groups of people who make it to Russell Group universities seem to be the smart (being the minority), the spoon-fed (being the majority), and the smart and spoon-fed (being another minority).

Here you just sound like a fool with a chip on his shoulder. So I'll avoid commenting.
Original post by I'manegg
Haha right?! Forget all the worries that A Level's bring, we're gonna be rich superstars!

For sure! Forget uni, hello bright lights & big cities! LOL!
Original post by PythianLegume
But most rich people don't employ tutors. Why is there a gradual correlation when only the top 10% can afford tutors?

And also they can afford to pay for the best schools, which obviously give a much better formative environment to a kid than the on-the-rocks state school and will mean the kid does better academically even if they have average intellect.
Reply 3891
I seriously can't believe someone has a problem with private education and someone having meow opportunities than others. It's democracy not communism! What you complain about (not similar opportunities) was the same complaint in USSR and other communist parties. And communism would never work! When people earn money as wish to spend th on their children to educate them better - no one should stop them! It's perfectly fine to do it!
I have never had a perfect results day. There is always one or two units that i mess up on, which is why i am extremely nervous for Thursday.
Original post by awkwardusername
For my AS English Lit, my teachers said it was full marks and it dropped 1 mark when it was moderated :smile:
But my Media teacher gave me full marks in my AS coursework and it got moderated to a low C (I was FURIOUS!) so it really depends!

Yeah it's scary that it can also go down! I just hope it goes up a bit cos my coursework was quite low so I'm worried even if my exam grade is good, it'll lower it quite a lot, but I'm just hoping and praying it'll be okay!:smile: ah that sucks about the C thing! Well done for English though, that's amazing! Especially for coursework x
Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

You win sir! :rofl:

I misread it as butterflies at first...
Original post by anyap
I seriously can't believe someone has a problem with private education and someone having meow opportunities than others. It's democracy not communism! What you complain about (not similar opportunities) was the same complaint in USSR and other communist parties. And communism would never work! When people earn money as wish to spend th on their children to educate them better - no one should stop them! It's perfectly fine to do it!

I think you're confusing equal opportunity with equal outcome; communism strove for the latter, not necessarily the former. A communist society may not work (of course, that is subject to opinion) but a society founded upon egalitarian principles of equal opportunity certainly might.
Yes, because their parents' parents inherited enough money to send their kids to a superior school, the cycle goes on and harks back to hundreds of years in some cases. I'm aware of the term new-money as well. I'm aware it's not always as black and white as this, but in lots of cases it does seem to be...

It has nothing to do with inheritance of money, and everything do do with inheritance of intellect, which results in more successful people who will naturally earn more.

If you think the current upper and middle middle class inherited their money from their parents, then you're the one with the outdated pre-20th Century views.
Original post by awkwardusername
I did Gatsby, Kite Runner, Browning and Hardy at AS, and Faustus, Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber and Wuthering Heights at A2 :smile:
I'm sure you'll be fine! And if not, there's always the resit :smile:
Good luck to you too!

ahh we did Gatsby and Kite runner, yeah I guess I'm just scared cos I ran out of time so hardly wrote anything for the books, but there was more marks for the poetry side which I think went better so do you reckon that'll make up for it?:smile:
Think we might do Wuthering heights and Faustus at a2 :smile: & thank you!! So nervous :frown:
And also they can afford to pay for the best schools, which obviously give a much better formative environment to a kid than the on-the-rocks state school and will mean the kid does better academically even if they have average intellect.

But this difference exists even for children at the same school.

I agree that wealth can contribute by allowing you to buy housing in areas with better schools (although most schools are measured by their outcomes, which is a crude measure. I suspect many 'good' schools actually have equal or worse value-added than some schools in poor areas). I just don't think that wealth is one of the most significant factors in intelligence, compared to parental input, and even genes.
Reply 3899
Any idea what time exactly the Edexcel GCE A Level results will be released online on Aug 15th? Using results plus direct 2.0 or whatever.

Latest