The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4140
Original post by Debrawrh
I'm so nervous, I really don't know what to expect! :frown:

Don't worry it's not just you! :afraid::nooo::shock: Good luck for Thursday! :cute:
Original post by Andaxay
Imagine the night's sleep we'll have on Thursday! I'm going to lie in on Friday to make up for the lack of sleep!

That's if you've got into your firm or insurance :wink: (sorry to kill your hopes for sleep :biggrin: )

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
If anyone knows any grade boundaries already then I would appreciate a PM. dying with nerves and a few people have claimed on tsr to know some grade boundaries already
Original post by Unashamed Geek
I do CCEA geography but couldn't tell you what the boundaries are because I don't think they release them usually.

And I'm not sure about raw marks on each module but they definitely give ums scores.

What way is their site? Do you just log in and it says A, B etc?
What about times? Never been on their site.
does any one know when the university will have our result?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaetitiaAaronK
does any one know when the university will have our result?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently they got them over the weekend and decisions have already been made
Original post by kidomo
I expect a full set of A*s, anything less than that is reprehensible and shameful.

I'm from Asian family. I cannot bring shame to the family.[/
I've never understood this whole concept of asian parents expecting their kids to get straight A's because surely there are some stupid Asians??
Reply 4147
Original post by Hustler-1337
That's if you've got into your firm or insurance :wink: (sorry to kill your hopes for sleep :biggrin: )

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

Ahh, thankfully I'm only at AS this year! Can't imagine how nervous A2's are feeling D:

Good luck to you too! Bet you'll do fine too :smile:
Reply 4148
Original post by Frostyjoe

You log in and your list of subjects appear.. With the grade and how close you are to the next grade I think?

Then I think you can click on each subject for modules and marks etc.
The website goes live at 7am :smile:
Just to say I've not got tonnes of time atm to keep up with this thread but if anyone has any questions about universities, results*, clearing, adjustment, UCAS etc etc etc then just quote me and I'll appear like magic :ninjagirl:

*although I know this process from the uni side of things so don't ask me a bunch of Qs about remarks or UMS or grade boundaries because I honestly don't know enough about those things to answer accurately :smile:
Reply 4150
I'm afraid

and I don't understand WTF UMS is and how it'll apply to my AS's.
[QUOTE="Frostyjoe;43924903"]
Original post by kidomo
I expect a full set of A*s, anything less than that is reprehensible and shameful.

I'm from Asian family. I cannot bring shame to the family.[/
I've never understood this whole concept of asian parents expecting their kids to get straight A's because surely there are some stupid Asians??

It's to do with honour and pride of the family as for scenario 1: 2 Asian familys one gets 3 A*s the other gets 3 Cs. Now that will obviously hurt their honour and reputation and that's probably the reason why.

It will have your overall grade for each subject and then an expanding thing like the spoilers on this site except it'll be a + to the right, and if you click it the section will drop down to reveal your module scores.

And in response to the Asian thing, There's somebody I know who isn't top of the year type thing. She's just a normal student, so I don't get this stereotype that much because I haven't seen too much evidence of it in my life. Although apparently both her and her brother are good at tennis and piano because they got tutored in them.
Reply 4153
Original post by mahatma ghandi
If anyone knows any grade boundaries already then I would appreciate a PM. dying with nerves and a few people have claimed on tsr to know some grade boundaries already

Really? Could you link pages where people claim to know grade boundaries? Have you found out any yourself?
Reply 4154
Original post by MrChuckNorris
If I get CCC or CCD, what uni can I apply to through clearing if I want to do Business and Management?

Manchester met
Original post by 566
I'm afraid

and I don't understand WTF UMS is and how it'll apply to my AS's.

okay, here we go
UMS is like a different points system which helps both your AS and A2 combine into one final grade. say for example youre doing a 4 unit subject like psychology (not saying this is exactly the right numbers but its just an example)
say each unit is out of 100 UMS
so that makes the whole a level out of 400 UMS. the UMS you recieve in all 4 will add up to make a mark out of 400 in UMS, which will then be converted into a grade.
its just a form of standardization
Reply 4156
Original post by Icedstoat
"Up to thirty" haha, my GCSE maths class got to 36 or 37 at one point, some people were three to a desk.
But for A level, because fewer people take academic subjects, I wouldn't be surprised if class sizes are similar, mine are certainly as small as the privates near me.

Anyway, I think you are just simply wrong here: Universities go out of their way not to favour private schools, certainly at the elite end, through using admissions tests and the like. I've seen (but can't find on the internet) Oxford university figures for the proportion of state/private school students who get firsts, seconds etc. It's essentially the same for both, implying that neither has an edge, as both state and private schools do equally well once you get there. Unless you're arguing that having your coursework written for you better prepares you for university life.

Maybe slackers are kick-started into working harder, but I'm completely unconvinced that private schools hold any edge at all for diligent students, and I have a compariatively wide experience of such matters
I didn't say private students hold an edge over state students when applying to university. All I was saying is that overall better results come from private schools than state schools and money plays a part.
Original post by Huntx
Really? Could you link pages where people claim to know grade boundaries? Have you found out any yourself?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2427474&p=43925061

No I sent a PM but the OP didn't give anything away
Reply 4158
Original post by Ché.
Are there any Year 12s which are awaiting for their results - particularly in the Sciences and Languages!?

How did you think you had done generally?
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hoping for ABBB in BIO,CHEM, MATHS and GEO in that order, wbu?
[QUOTE="Dilzo999;43925011"]

It's to do with honour and pride of the family as for scenario 1: 2 Asian familys one gets 3 A*s the other gets 3 Cs. Now that will obviously hurt their honour and reputation and that's probably the reason why.

:ditto:

My Asian family will literally disown me if I get anything less than what they expect from their son. It is brutal, but at least it gets you far in life.

Latest