The Student Room Group

Alcohol... You people like this stuff?

Scroll to see replies

I hate rum and coke eww, so I'm with you on that. Some alcoholic drinks are nice whereas some are not so nice. .
I'm 18 too and really hate the taste of it :/ I'm designated driver all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thoroughly enjoy the taste of alcohol such as beers, ales, cider, red wine and especially rum! However it's not to everyones taste and certainly there are time where I will just drink to get drunk rather than for the taste meaning I will end up drinking something cheap and nasty with a high alcohol content all night.

I would say the taste of alcohol is something that I appreciate more now than i did when I first started drinking. Certainly I used to hate the taste of a bitter beer or stout, now I can't get enough, same with dark chocolate. Perhaps age has something to do with it as you get older maybe your sense of taste changes and bitter things become less harsh and more enjoyable.
Cider is the best way to get yourself into the game.

Try a sweet one, like Brothers Toffee Apple Cider, which has a nice sweet taste to it !
Reply 24
Alcohol is such a **** drug, tastes like **** and the effects are pretty poor too.

It's funny how some people will drink Alcohol but not any other drugs, they think just because it's legal that its safe or safer than other drugs.
Original post by BritBoyWonder
I had a sip of this so nice,my new candy :candycane:

of what?
I'd say at first, anyway, most people don't drink it for the taste.

It does grow on you though, really hated cider at first and now I really enjoy it.

Vodka will always be completely vile though, spirits in general tend to be disgusting and are only drunk if one intends to get fairly carparked. :tongue:
Original post by KD35
Alcohol is such a **** drug, tastes like **** and the effects are pretty poor too.

It's funny how some people will drink Alcohol but not any other drugs, they think just because it's legal that its safe or safer than other drugs.

Although I disagree that alcohol taste ****, I agree with your sentiment.
Original post by Miracle Day
of what?

Kopparberg strawberry
Original post by Miracle Day
Try Kopparberg strawberry and lime and Hooch. I'm similar to you, but I love these drinks :drool:

that koppaberg is very nice!!!
Original post by ScottScott
How old are you, out of interest?

Your taste buds change over time. I never used to like certain alcoholic drinks (proper ale being one of them), but now I enjoy them a lot (proper ale being one of them).

I used to dislike some fruit (bananas being one of them), and now i love certain fruit (bananas being one of them)
Original post by rugbyladosc
I used to dislike some fruit (bananas being one of them), and now i love certain fruit (bananas being one of them)

My experience of Bananas have only been positive.

Pork, on the other hand....
Reply 32
To be honest when I first started drinking Ales and Lagers I would almost skip the tongue, and slowly I got used to the taste. Although that's not really something I would recommend.

I started off at the age of 13 (at home of course) hating every drink you offered me. But at 19 now, I will drink almost anything you give me (not fosters though), especially Bourbon. Just keep trying different drinks now and then, you might find yourself getting used to it, or finding something you enjoy.
I used to hate the taste of most alcohol and could only bear alcopop types so like WKDs and Smirnoff Ices, then as I got older I acquired a taste for rosé and wine and now it's pretty much all I drink. Recently I've drank a few lagers and didn't mind it (I can remember drinking Carling a few weeks ago) but then again that could be because I was quite drunk. As for spirits - I still can't stand the taste and don't know if I ever will, I avoid drinking them most of the time and only do so for fun so if my friend has "I bet you can't do a shot of this" or something like that :tongue: If you don't like alcohol it's not a problem, don't drink it.
Reply 34
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:

Vodka will always be completely vile though, spirits in general tend to be disgusting and are only drunk if one intends to get fairly carparked. :tongue:

Not if you get genuinely good quality stuff. Russian Standard is on the lowest end of what I'd consider drinkable when neat. But if you pay £20+ for a 70cl bottle then you ought to get something pretty special.

Same with whisky. I would dream of mixing most good whiskies with anything other than a few drops of water.

As for the OP: whoever mixed your drink probably put too much spirit in compared to the mixer and would have been using cheaper spirits which taste worse. White rum is foul though, so I have every sympathy with you there! It's important for you to learn that all alcoholic drinks have good and bad quality products, unless you put quite a bit of money towards buying something you're unlikely to get anything good. Plus, alcohol is something of an acquired taste. As anyone who's tried wray and nephew will testify, ethanol doesn't taste good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Definitely grew on me. I started off with blue WKD with dinner when I was about 13 (haha :laugh: ) and now I can drink with the rest of 'em... even starting to adjust to shots after a year at uni :tongue: Try Southern Comfort and lemonade, it's so nice :sogood:
Original post by Runninground
I haven't drunk alcohol before and I was getting a lot of people asking me why I don't drink. I didn't really have a reason for this, and considering i'd never tasted it I thought it was a bit strict of me to decide not to drink it.

So an opportunity came up recently and I thought i'd have a Coca-Cola and rum. I love coke but when you add rum it makes almost undrinkable. I honestly don't know how you can enjoy it. I then tried a vodka and lemonade, thinking that vodka may have less of a taste, but that was also not too nice.

I gave it one last stab and I had a cocktail with tequila in. This was OK but still, it's not something that I would enjoy to drink. It's not something you can take big mouthfuls of!

(Obviously they were not all one after the other!)

So does the taste of alcohol grow on you or something? I really don't understand how people can get addicted to this stuff- I can't even see why people would drink it in a restaurant instead of something that tasted nice. I was expecting it to be really good considering how much people obsess over it, but it was a bit of a disappointment!

I know quite a few people who don't like alcohol for the taste. I was the same at first because I hate coke in general. Honestly though Malibu and like a lemonade drink (Sprite, 7up, Schweppes) etc is a great drink if you don't like the taste of alcohol. Every person who i've given it to that doesn't like alcohol usually likes it. But that's no an option if you don't like the taste of coconut.

To be fair, I started off drinking alchopops (WKD, Bacardi Breezer) and I grew to like the taste of other drinks. You should try those maybe to start off with? It just tastes like drinking fizzy pop.
Original post by Manitude
Not if you get genuinely good quality stuff. Russian Standard is on the lowest end of what I'd consider drinkable when neat. But if you pay £20+ for a 70cl bottle then you ought to get something pretty special.

Same with whisky. I would dream of mixing most good whiskies with anything other than a few drops of water.

Ah, well that'll be my problem then :lol: I shall take your word for it. I can only really afford Sainsbury's Basics as a student and I can confirm that it is utterly detestable but decent with Fanta. :redface:

Never even tried whisky to be honest, but one of my mates has a small collection and is in love with stuff.
Never really been a big fan of beer. I love cider though (probably the Irish in me coming out?). Magners all round!!:^_^: I seriously cannot stand wine however. Tastes awful :puke:
Reply 39
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:
Ah, well that'll be my problem then :lol: I shall take your word for it. I can only really afford Sainsbury's Basics as a student and I can confirm that it is utterly detestable but decent with Fanta. :redface:

Never even tried whisky to be honest, but one of my mates has a small collection and is in love with stuff.

I've never had the misfortune of trying sainsburys basics, when I do buy cheapish vodka I go for the one which is a bit more expensive. It's a bit rough, but not too bad. I've heard that basics gives horrendous hangovers too. Considering it's only about a pound cheaper than the second cheapest I'd say it's worth spending a bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest