The Student Room Group

Should I get my Eng Lit paper remarked?

Background: I was predicted an A after getting an A* in my English literature GCSE, it's always been my strongest. I got A's all throughout the year in my AS class and an A in the mock exam too, I got my result today to find I had my first ever C in the exam (already have an A in coursework - counts for 60%).

It came as a huge shock because the questions that came on the paper, I LOVED, they were the exact ones I wanted. In class I actually did one of the q's and got marked as an A so I'm unsure how my grade could drop so much. I was full of ideas and wrote SO much I needed an additional booklet. I know it's unusual to go from a C to an A, but it does happen and I don't know if it's worth it.
Reply 1
If you thought you'd done that well, most definitely! But do be aware that remarks can push grades down as well as up :smile:
I would definitely consider a remark, I have the exact same problem as you but for history, I was getting A's in class past paper and got a C in the exam, but an A on my other paper, something surely is up!!!
Reply 3
Original post by 24hoursmiles
I would definitely consider a remark, I have the exact same problem as you but for history, I was getting A's in class past paper and got a C in the exam, but an A on my other paper, something surely is up!!!

This is pretty similar to me. In History I got an A in Unit 1, high B in Unit 2, A in Unit 4, but a C in Unit 3 (Summer exam). Are you Edexcel by any chance? I got into my university, but I feel that I did better than a C, I wrote more than ever, analysed more, more historians interpretations, everything better than usual :/
Reply 4
Hmph.

The thing with English Literature though, is that the answer is so subjective. There is no right or wrong answer, so it depends entirely on whether or not the examiner agrees with your writing. Unfortunately, subjects like English Literature is a little like playing Russian roulette; you win some, you lose some.

And the really ****ty thing is, once an examiner has marked it, they don't really like changing the grade because it looks rather unprofessional (someone is basically telling another education authoritative that they're wrong...). I've been through exactly what you're going through; I sat an exam, got the perfect question (literally did the same-ish question 2 days before as a mock and got an A*) yet was graded a C. I had it remarked and I gained a grand total of two marks.

It's not helpful I know, and I'm really sorry it's happened to you. But it's the ****ty thing about doing a subjective course; some examiners simply won't like the way you write, so all your points will be considered inferior.

If it's any consolation, last year I got an A in my coursework and unfortunately a C in my exam (my teachers were furious about it, they said they would have marked the paper as an A/A*). I lost hope and just resigned my fate to getting a B over all, but this year I achieved really high A's in both my exam and my coursework and have an A over all. So it's still possible to get an A overall despite the disappointing AS exam grade!

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Magenta96
Background: I was predicted an A after getting an A* in my English literature GCSE, it's always been my strongest. I got A's all throughout the year in my AS class and an A in the mock exam too, I got my result today to find I had my first ever C in the exam (already have an A in coursework - counts for 60%).

It came as a huge shock because the questions that came on the paper, I LOVED, they were the exact ones I wanted. In class I actually did one of the q's and got marked as an A so I'm unsure how my grade could drop so much. I was full of ideas and wrote SO much I needed an additional booklet. I know it's unusual to go from a C to an A, but it does happen and I don't know if it's worth it.

I would do it! If you're unhappy with a C and honestly think you did better than there is certainly no harm in trying, although I would suggest getting a photocopy of your paper back, getting your teacher to read through it and see if it's deserving of an A, then go for a remark. This way, you're much more likely to go up rather than down :smile:

Also, it's not unheard of one of my friends went from a B to an A* at GCSE after a remark. Good luck !!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by smile:D
I would do it! If you're unhappy with a C and honestly think you did better than there is certainly no harm in trying, although I would suggest getting a photocopy of your paper back, getting your teacher to read through it and see if it's deserving of an A, then go for a remark. This way, you're much more likely to go up rather than down :smile:

Also, it's not unheard of one of my friends went from a B to an A* at GCSE after a remark. Good luck !!!
:biggrin:

That's very true, I had a friend who was marked from a C to an A*. I just hope you don't get the stubborn examiners that I had last year! xD
Reply 7
Original post by smile:D

Also, it's not unheard of one of my friends went from a B to an A* at GCSE after a remark. Good luck !!! :biggrin:

yeah I think I will do this because I honestly think I had way too many good points to only get a C. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by MichaelB6
Hmph.

The thing with English Literature though, is that the answer is so subjective. There is no right or wrong answer, so it depends entirely on whether or not the examiner agrees with your writing. Unfortunately, subjects like English Literature is a little like playing Russian roulette; you win some, you lose some.

And the really ****ty thing is, once an examiner has marked it, they don't really like changing the grade because it looks rather unprofessional (someone is basically telling another education authoritative that they're wrong...). I've been through exactly what you're going through; I sat an exam, got the perfect question (literally did the same-ish question 2 days before as a mock and got an A*) yet was graded a C. I had it remarked and I gained a grand total of two marks.

It's not helpful I know, and I'm really sorry it's happened to you. But it's the ****ty thing about doing a subjective course; some examiners simply won't like the way you write, so all your points will be considered inferior.

If it's any consolation, last year I got an A in my coursework and unfortunately a C in my exam (my teachers were furious about it, they said they would have marked the paper as an A/A*). I lost hope and just resigned my fate to getting a B over all, but this year I achieved really high A's in both my exam and my coursework and have an A over all. So it's still possible to get an A overall despite the disappointing AS exam grade!

Good luck!
All of this is true. English Lit results are just as frustrating (in a different way) for English teachers as for the students.
Reply 9
Original post by MichaelB6
Hmph.

Good luck!

I agree. My teacher is an examiner for the same exam board I sat this exam for and I'd already practised the questions that came on the real exam and handed them in to him, he marked them as A's and now I've basically recycled the same points and added a ton of new, extra ones and gotten marked 2 grades down so it really is so subjective!
Reply 10
Original post by carnationlilyrose
All of this is true. English Lit results are just as frustrating (in a different way) for English teachers as for the students.

Since it's subjective, do you think my remark examiner might like my answer more than this current examiner and make my grade an A instead of the present C? I'll probably get a photocopy first and get my teacher to see if it's worth remarking anyway.
Original post by Magenta96
Since it's subjective, do you think my remark examiner might like my answer more than this current examiner and make my grade an A instead of the present C? I'll probably get a photocopy first and get my teacher to see if it's worth remarking anyway.

All I can say is who knows? They have been digging their heels in a lot lately and very few have changed at my school (if any, if I try to think) in the last couple of years, but if it's not a risk and you have the money, give it a go.

Quick Reply

Latest