The Student Room Group

should i take a-level chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Midlander
At A-level, maybe. At degree level and beyond it's about application of understanding which goes beyond factual recall. There is also a lot more to it than maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

TO be fair, the thread is about A-Level chem, not university level chem....
My advice: don't take it unless you have to.
At A-level, maybe. At degree level and beyond it's about application of understanding which goes beyond factual recall. There is also a lot more to it than maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but this person is only asking about A-level chemistry.
Original post by PythianLegume
I generally got As in end-of-topic tests in Chemistry despite not revising for them. It's not that I have some sort of eidetic memory, it's because I actually understand chemistry.

If you think it's rote learning, you didn't understand it.

Well that's clearly *******s, because there is **** loads you just need to learn, that are not to do with understanding. All the tests, all the menial uses, and all that crap.
Original post by PythianLegume
I generally got As in end-of-topic tests in Chemistry despite not revising for them. It's not that I have some sort of eidetic memory, it's because I actually understand chemistry.

If you think it's rote learning, you didn't understand it.

And I'm not saying it's purely just learning, I was merely saying that there is considerably less to have to understand than in other subjects.
Original post by CJG21
Yes, but this person is only asking about A-level chemistry.

Even at A-level pure factual recall won't go too far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CJG21
Well that's clearly *******s, because there is **** loads you just need to learn, that are not to do with understanding. All the tests, all the menial uses, and all that crap.

Well, why not try to understand why the tests work? And uses might make up 1 mark in a 100 mark paper. In general, I'd say that maybe 10 of the 100 marks in a paper are made up of recall like uses, colours, etc. All the rest can be learned, not memorised.
(edited 10 years ago)
Even at A-level pure factual recall won't go too far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't saying it was pure factual recall, I'm just saying there is quite a lot of stuff that just needs to be learned.
Reply 28
Personally, I would strongly advise against doing A-level chemistry unless:
1. You are exceptionally good at it
2. It's vital for your university course

The A-level is extremely difficult and uninteresting - I regret taking it massively!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
My advice would be don't take it if you don't need it, it's not easy especially if you have a crap teacher like I did in my two years of college.

If you want me to be completely honest, I don't think A-level physics is as hard as A-level chemistry, I found chemistry a lot harder mainly because there was so much material and formulas/equations/mechanisms to remember. The material for physics at A-level is really less but it's the understanding that's the difficult bit. If you understand all the concepts, you can do well in exams, without any exam paper practice. But with chemistry you need to practice a lot of exam papers.

My physics teacher and chemistry teachers at a-level were so bad, I practically self-taught myself both subjects. I came out with an E in chemistry and a C in physics.

Anyways, I'm just talking from my experience, it's just an opinion. My friends who are good at chemistry hate physics and my friends who are good at physics hate chemistry!
Reply 30
Original post by holl28
Personally, I would strongly advise against doing A-level chemistry unless:
1. You are exceptionally good at it
2. It's vital for your university course

The A-level is extremely difficult and uninteresting - I regret taking it massively!

Posted from TSR Mobile

couldn't agree more.....when I look at some of the AS students at my college taking chemistry, I think .. you don't know what you're heading for...
Chemistry is a hard a-level. For GCSE i got an A* and for AS I ended up with a C
I don't want to scare you but if your interest in the subject is genuine and you are willing to put loads of hard work into it then it can be an enjoyable subject.
Reply 32
Original post by niceguy95
yes, its easier than bio

bio is easy to learn but the exams are solid with relatively low grade boundaries. they provide answers which have no link to the original question lol

chem on the other hand, is slightly harder to learn, but involves loads of calculations, easier exams ith high grade boundaries

my experience

Totally agree with this. Chemistry is hard to learn initially, but the exams are nice. Biology exams are the worst exams ever- They ask you things not in the spec....
At our school we were told not to take chemistry unless it was specifically needed for our career path (e.g. medicine, vet science, pharmacy). Otherwise it's just too much work and not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest