The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Don't mess up calculations!:wink:

I forgot my millions and billlions D: and that was worth 2 marks, not a wopping 13 or so :tongue:
Original post by Robbie242
I forgot my millions and billlions D: and that was worth 2 marks, not a wopping 13 or so :tongue:

:eek::lol:

Tbf. I dunno whar else I could have done in my history exam... Bar one question where I wrote too little probably on the thing...
Reply 262
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:eek::lol:

Tbf. I dunno whar else I could have done in my history exam... Bar one question where I wrote too little probably on the thing...

Probably that then haha. I actually am really thankful for a TSRians advice on the history exam (I took a risk on it) and it worked out as 90% as opposed to 64% dw just resit or remark one of them and you'll get it or you can keep it as a B which is fine
Reply 263
I think some subjects had it worse than others, I feel I did well with AAD, but IT was ridiculous to get a D in, I got an E in the coursework and I was top of the class.
Probably that then haha. I actually am really thankful for a TSRians advice on the history exam (I took a risk on it) and it worked out as 90% as opposed to 64% dw just resit or remark one of them and you'll get it or you can keep it as a B which is fine

But that would only have been 24 marks... And I would have had at least 15:lol:

The others I thought I smashed :lol:

I'm definitely remarking... If nothing happens, I'll leave it as a B!
Reply 265
Original post by inneedofhelpp
i was predicted an A for economics for both papers; markets in action and global economy and was getting As all year but some how managed to get a B and a C

Did anyone else experience unexpected results in economics OCR??

YES!! Predicted A in both, and got C and D... getting both remarked. I'm not even joking when i say Economics is my strongest subject, i got near full marks in all the past papers and i found the exams a breeze. very suspicious.
Reply 266
I got a big mixture... AABCE.. so was happy with some, and not happy with the others.. :s-smilie:
A lit more than 24 students were kicked out last June for exam results in my college.....literally almost half the year....anyone with more than one fall, U or more than three E's I think....
Deleted post
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by I like school
I actually did get an A but seriously that was the hardest paper I have ever sat, all the practices I did I breezed but that one I felt like it was weird questions and the second one was about one of the leaders right? (can't remember which one) and I just felt that it was super specific and odd. The other paper I did horrendously on though, felt like a hard year for history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :smile: Yeah that't true, it was Mazzini unexpectedly. I did okay-ish on it - just being harsh on myself. I thought the Period Studies paper was odd, the question about Wolseys rise to power was just weird, never seen a question like it before. Before I get carried away, did you do the paper from Henry-Mary?
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx
hey, I just got my a levels back and heading off to uni.

just to let you all know that my AS last year was very bad compared to what i was capable of. i got ABCD and dropped the C.

my whole school pretty much did bad aswell, but its not because of the harsh marking, its because the jump from GCSE to AS level is so large! thats the reason why year 12s generally do badly.

and to let you all know, AS grades dont really matter! better start softening up your teachers because the predictions is what counts! with grades ABD I got predicitons ABB which was enough to get all 5 offers from universities such as Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds! I was even offered grades AAB, even though my predicitons wern't that!

through retakes and re-thinking my revision stratagy, my results yesterday were AAA. so its very important to remember that its not the end of the world!! I went from a very low D to an A.

and year 13 is easier than year 12. take year 12 and your AS results as a learning curve. you spent year 12 trying to figure out how the examiners do or dont like things, time to put it into practice in year 13!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE FOR NEXT YEAR!! :biggrin:

Wow, that's pretty good. I'm in the same boat you were in with my As being A,B,D, and E :frown: Want to drop off the E and carry on with the rest. The thing is I don't want to resit any except maybe a History module (if it doesn't go up with a remark) to get it to an overall B. Also, planning on working a lot harder next year, to get them to A/A* (I have high hopes!)
Wanted to ask, do you think it's ok, if I still apply for Cambridge using one of my choices? I feel like I can do it ...
Oh my god yes the grades were really harsh this year, I ended up with BCDD, the 2 D's being in two of my favorite subjects :frown:
Reply 272
Is it wise to recheck the AQA physics paper for unit 2? I was only 2 marks of an A
It's possible this year was marked more harshly, but AS students do say this every year. There's a big jump between GCSE and AS so students often don't do as we'll as they hoped. Not because they didn't try hard but because the format of papers and style of questions are a lot different to GCSE.

When I got my AS results 2 years ago, almost a third of the whole year got chucked out because they didn't get what they needed (equivalent of 4 Ds) to get into year 13, and this was in a decent(ish) grammar school. Additionally some were allowed to resit the whole year, they were students that tried hard, they just fell down mainly because of exam technique.

So I can't really speak for this years marking or papers, because I haven't sat this years exams, but I think part of it could just be because of the big jump up from GCSE. Most people, (myself included) didn't do as well at AS as they expected. But then in A2, you're more used to the style of assessment and can work on exam technique, and resit some AS modules that you didn't do so well in. So most people do better at the end of A2 than they did at AS, so don't worry if you didn't get what you were hoping for. :smile:
I got a B in S1 as well but expected an A, I think the marking was harsher in general.

Arsey did mention that the mark scheme for S1 is harsh
Original post by livinglife123
Wow, that's pretty good. I'm in the same boat you were in with my As being A,B,D, and E :frown: Want to drop off the E and carry on with the rest. The thing is I don't want to resit any except maybe a History module (if it doesn't go up with a remark) to get it to an overall B. Also, planning on working a lot harder next year, to get them to A/A* (I have high hopes!)
Wanted to ask, do you think it's ok, if I still apply for Cambridge using one of my choices? I feel like I can do it ...

the only people I know yo get offers from oxford or cambridge got all A's in their AS.sometimes, oxbridge isnt for everyone, but there are plenty of other good unis out there!

ADVICE: retake is much better than remark! a remark may have 1 or 2 UMS gain (or loss!) and the overall grade at AS doesnt matter! retake to get lots more UMS, because its the total UMS that makes your overall a level grade at the end of year 13.
so your choice: extra 2UMS marks, or extra 30?

also, A* is only possible if you have an A at AS and 90% at A2. noone can get an A* overall if they have a B at AS, even if they get 100% at A2!
Reply 276
It might just show the difference between GCSE's and A Levels. I found they expected a lot more detail at AS level- almost an entirely different exam technique. I remember I was pretty shell shocked at the time, too. I finished my first year of college with CCEU, so I can empathise.
yes in some ways the AS marks were quite harsh. People in my school were predicted A's and B's and ended up with C's, D's and U's which is really upsetting to watch as some of them were my mates :/. But I put it down to the exam board as they change and alter their grade boundaries every year and this year the grade boundaries could have been slightly higher than they were last year. Though it is very disheartening getting bad results and trust me I have experience in that, you will be fine and your grades shouldn't stop you from doing the career you want to do. All you have to do is to work a lot harder next year to pull it up as well as retaking a few exams/modules.
Reply 278
people that didn't deserve high grades got them for example, someone got A in an exam which they revised last minute for, and someone who worked there ****ing ass off for weeks got a D
WARNING; IRREVELANT POST.

Why do TSR users insist on using a possessive 's' for grades? Multiple grades are a plural, not a possessive. Primary school children know that.

Quick Reply

Latest