The Student Room Group

AS Results & Studying Physics

In my AS levels I got A (Maths), B (Chemistry), C (Physics and Biology). For quite a while I've wanted to do Physics and drop Biology, and I was expecting to do a lot better.

My mum reckons if I've got a C in the subject I want to study as a degree then nowhere will even consider my application? (I got A in first module and D in second, C in coursework).

Although I will definitely be carrying on Physics next year (Maths, Chem, Physics), is there any point applying to do Physics at university, or should I be looking at doing something else?
Reply 1
I got a C at AS in my subject of choice and was given an offer, I was fairly close to a B which was mentioned in my reference, if you really want to do Physics still apply, your application will obviously be weaker but it's not impossible to get in.
Most universities (even those with lower entry requirements) are likely to want at least a B in the subject you are going to study. Top ones are likely to require an A. Having a C at AS won't stop you studying the subject, but it will make your application less strong. Are you likely to be predicted a B?

If you have some universities in mind, look on their websites to see what specific requirements they have. Most will state what grade they want in the subject to be studied for a course like Physics.

Another option is to consider doing a joint honours degree in Maths and Physics, as your Maths grade is stronger. Is this something you would consider?
Reply 3
Well obviously I'll be redoing the module in Physics that brought my grade down so much, and will speak to my teachers to get a prediction higher than C.

I have thought about doing Physics and Maths, but I haven't looked into it much, I had the impression that it'd be harder to get in but I'll definitely consider it. Thanks!
Reply 4
If anyone needs help in bio, chem , geo or physics contact retroteach32 on tutor hunt.
he has excellent grades and is offering help
I had an offer from Queens University Belfast to study Physics with Astro with BBB - BBCD at AS level with a B in physics. Got my results the other day and got BBC with the C being in physics and they still accepted me; though it was a pretty high C, so maybe that helped? The course is undersubscribed as well so maybe that helped me as well, but still go for it, what have you to loose?
I got an A in AS-Level physics, and I'm **** at Physics and would never be able to do a degree, so for someone who is getting a C I would seriously reconsider your options.
Reply 7
Original post by xodeneal
In my AS levels I got A (Maths), B (Chemistry), C (Physics and Biology). For quite a while I've wanted to do Physics and drop Biology, and I was expecting to do a lot better.

My mum reckons if I've got a C in the subject I want to study as a degree then nowhere will even consider my application? (I got A in first module and D in second, C in coursework).

Although I will definitely be carrying on Physics next year (Maths, Chem, Physics), is there any point applying to do Physics at university, or should I be looking at doing something else?

How much do you want to do physics? I think most physics degrees involve a lot more maths than physics a-levels so they will play to your strengths, but a C is a bit worrying. You did get an A in the first module so you clearly have a reasonable level of aptitude with physics, what went so wrong with the second module? I think you should see how you get on with the start of the A2 stuff and if you feel you can understand it and improve your grade then still apply for physics. You will probably get predicted a B as your overall AS grade is a C, you just need to show you can improve. I don't know what sort of unis you're looking to apply to but off the top of my head I believe that Liverpool, Cardiff, and Exeter are all russell group unis which accept ABB for physics students.
If it makes you feel any better, my brother was accepted at Lampeter with a D in the subject he went to study, so remember that reputable universities do consider things other than your grades.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending