The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter changing offer to Falmouth - what can we do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Julesinos
When she applied for the course via UCAS there were tick boxes for Exeter campus/Falmouth campus/either. She chose Exeter only because she had been to Falmouth to visit and didn't want to go there. Her offer letter was for the University of Exeter (no mention of Falmouth).

When she got results, she was confirmed a place at 'University of Exeter' (no mention of Falmouth). She accepted. She has then, a few days later got a confirmation letter which says she will *only* be accepted at Falmouth. This is the first mention of Falmouth. Exeter appear not to be in clearing so the Admissions Office is not open at the weekend. So she can't even talk to them, get released from Exeter and go into clearing. This strikes me as disgraceful all round.

Call them up as soon as the admissions office opens on Monday.

Most admissions offices aren't open at the weekend, so I doubt very many clearing places are being taken up this weekend if that is something you're worried about.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Sorry, course is Politics and International Relations. I don't know code and she has now had to leave home for work.
Interesting. When I look this course up on the Exeter website, it's showing as being offered only at the Streatham campus (ie Exeter itself). The course codes are L292, L293, L294 depending on which option you go for.

See here.

I think your niece needs to get on to UCAS first thing tomorrow. They will be able to track the changes on her application, so that they can confirm: which course she actually applied for, which she was accepted for, and when, and (most important) what changes the university has made and when, to give rise to this email she just received. Did she meet her offer in full? Was there any question about that? If she didn't meet her offer, it could be that the uni thinks it made a mistake in confirming her place after all and is now trying to put it right, but this is very late in the day and they should have explained themselves to her. In any case, as she is above the ABB threshold there really shouldn't be a problem in taking her for the course she actually applied for - assuming that she did enter the correct etc. That said, for 2014 the prospectus only shows Streatham campus, so I'm wondering whether they've changed her course too, because there is Politics and International Studies, code L290 or L291 which is offered only at the Cornwall campus.

So, in summary - which course code did she enter on UCAS originally? She can check this by looking at the Welcome letter she would have got when she applied. Which course code was showing as her conditional offer - she can check this by looking at the letter UCAS would have sent her after she made her firm and insurance choices. Has she had an AS12 letter confirming her place, and if so what code is shown there? If it was not L290 or L291**, Exeter are playing a naughty game and UCAS needs to help your niece sort it out. A morning on the phone tomorrow coming up, I think :frown:

**And, just to add, if the course code had changed from the original one she applied for, that should have shown up as a "Unconditional Changed Course" - UCC - offer on her Track and she would have had to explicitly accept it (and Exeter would only have been able to do this if she did not meet her original offer).
(edited 10 years ago)
Politcs and International relations seems to be at Exeter while Politics and International Studies seems to be at Falmouth..

ooops Minerva well ahead! yes agree needs to get on the phone as this really doesn't sound right
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Minerva
Interesting. When I look this course up on the Exeter website, it's showing as being offered only at the Streatham campus (ie Exeter itself). The course codes are L292, L293, L294 depending on which option you go for.

See here.

I think your niece needs to get on to UCAS first thing tomorrow. They will be able to track the changes on her application, so that they can confirm: which course she actually applied for, which she was accepted for, and when, and (most important) what changes the university has made and when, to give rise to this email she just received. Did she meet her offer in full? Was there any question about that? If she didn't meet her offer, it could be that the uni thinks it made a mistake in confirming her place after all and is now trying to put it right, but this is very late in the day and they should have explained themselves to her. In any case, as she is above the ABB threshold there really shouldn't be a problem in taking her for the course she actually applied for - assuming that she did enter the correct etc. That said, for 2014 the prospectus only shows Streatham campus, so I'm wondering whether they've changed her course too, because there is Politics and International Studies, code L290 or L291 which is offered only at the Cornwall campus.

So, in summary - which course code did she enter on UCAS originally? She can check this by looking at the Welcome letter she would have got when she applied. Which course code was showing as her conditional offer - she can check this by looking at the letter UCAS would have sent her after she made her firm and insurance choices. Has she had an AS12 letter confirming her place, and if so what code is shown there? If it was not L290 or L291, Exeter are playing a naughty game and UCAS needs to help your niece sort it out. A morning on the phone tomorrow coming up, I think :frown:

UCAS are open today until 1600 hours. http://www.ucas.com/about-us/contact-us
Reply 24
Original post by TheSownRose
UCAS are open today until 1600 hours. http://www.ucas.com/about-us/contact-us
True - though she has gone to work now, so may not be back in time. Also, this is one where UCAS will need to talk to the uni, and perhaps involve more senior staff at UCAS, so Monday morning may work better in any case.
May I just point out that things seem a little more complex than this.

Next year (2014) there is a Politics and International Relations (not Studies) course running in Falmouth

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/politics/cornwallpolir/

http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/122399/politics-and-international-relations-cornwall-campus?Query=4519&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&page=1&providerids=842&ret=results

At least it is only 100 miles away. If Nottingham ever gets wind of this trick, students might be off to China!
Reply 26
Thank you so much guys. I am so grateful to you.

Minerva, I've sent your reply to my niece for when she gets home from work. She'll be on the case first thing tomorrow. You have been so much help.

For the record, her conditional offer was AAB or A*BB in any subject combination. She got A*BB so fulfilled the criteria. For the same grade, she would now have been secure in a place at all the other 4 universities she origially applied to via UCAS. Unfortunately she put Exeter as her first choice. (OK, maybe lucky it's not China!)

Where did the ethics go in University Admissions? I used to run an Admissions Office back in the day (pre-email, just imagine!). It was a matter of pride in all the staff that they did the best by the potential students. Anyone from Exeter out there listening????
Reply 27
Original post by nulli tertius

Next year (2014) there is a Politics and International Relations (not Studies) course running in Falmouth
Interesting - didn't come up on the search I did.... the only option I found was the Streatham campus version.

Anyway, the applicant needs to establish exactly what course was applied for and what was offered, and the sequence of events, as I have suggested above. Things do change from year to year, of course, so 2014's prospectus may not be a full re-run of last year's.
Reply 28
This probably wont be of any help, and I know it must be very very frustrating, but I live down in Cornwall, about half an hour from Penryn/Falmouth and I can vouch that all the students down here all say they don't regret coming. It seems small but there is a lot to do, and there are many young students down here too. Falmouth has a lovely atmosphere and student life as well. However I can see that if she didn't apply to come down here then it's frustrating. Have you had a look at falmouth?
Reply 29
Original post by Katie_96
This probably wont be of any help, and I know it must be very very frustrating, but I live down in Cornwall, about half an hour from Penryn/Falmouth and I can vouch that all the students down here all say they don't regret coming. It seems small but there is a lot to do, and there are many young students down here too. Falmouth has a lovely atmosphere and student life as well. However I can see that if she didn't apply to come down here then it's frustrating. Have you had a look at falmouth?

She did thanks, Katie, but she hated it (nice for holidays though!) which is why she made sure to tick the Exeter campus only choice when applying. I am suspecting that Exeter are oversubscribed on this course because of A-level results and are moving candidates to Falmouth to fill places there. But they have not done it in on open and honest way.
Reply 30

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/politics/cornwallpolir/

http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/122399/politics-and-international-relations-cornwall-campus?Query=4519&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&page=1&providerids=842&ret=results

At least it is only 100 miles away. If Nottingham ever gets wind of this trick, students might be off to China!

so they have they want AAA-- AAB For Exeter
and AAB- BBB for cornwall campus . This is for 2014 they are asking .
had no idea they had diff grades for diff campus .
Anyway if her offer they gave her was met and she asked for Exeter then she should be going there , are they being naughty ? hope she gets it sorted it's very bad of them to do this to her .Off course there could be small print somewhere which says they can do this
Reply 31
She did thanks, Katie, but she hated it (nice for holidays though!) which is why she made sure to tick the Exeter campus only choice when applying. I am suspecting that Exeter are oversubscribed on this course because of A-level results and are moving candidates to Falmouth to fill places there. But they have not done it in on open and honest way.

Hate to say it but i think you are right :frown:
Reply 32

I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, it is quite quiet compared to Exeter and big cities. Exeter really are not the best with applications, according to my form tutor a student of hers applied to do maths well before the closing date for applications, with predicted grades higher than needed with a fairly decent personal statement and they rejected her, and after several calls they admitted they'd filled the course well before the deadline. So if they don't give you an answer first time just keep ringing, they don't like to give a blunt answer on the first call.
Original post by Alix-21
so they have they want AAA-- AAB For Exeter
and AAB- BBB for cornwall campus . This is for 2014 they are asking .
had no idea they had diff grades for diff campus .
Anyway if her offer they gave her was met and she asked for Exeter then she should be going there , are they being naughty ? hope she gets it sorted it's very bad of them to do this to her .Off course there could be small print somewhere which says they can do this

When they ran law at both Falmouth and Streatham a few years ago, they had different entry grades. They stressed it was the same course yarda, yarda, yarda. What they didn't say was that the best academics were in Exeter and the Falmouth students watched the lectures on a video screen.
Reply 34
When they ran law at both Falmouth and Streatham a few years ago, they had different entry grades. They stressed it was the same course yarda, yarda, yarda. What they didn't say was that the best academics were in Exeter and the Falmouth students watched the lectures on a video screen.
History V100 also has different entry requirements depending on the campus, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing applied about the academics.

Tsk.
Reply 36
Original post by Minerva
Interesting - didn't come up on the search I did.... the only option I found was the Streatham campus version.

Anyway, the applicant needs to establish exactly what course was applied for and what was offered, and the sequence of events, as I have suggested above. Things do change from year to year, of course, so 2014's prospectus may not be a full re-run of last year's.

Yep they change grades so damn often . Am i right in thinking that AAB and A*BB equal same ucas points but if they ask for AAB then A*BB is not always accepted as the same as they want at least 2 grade A ?
Reply 37
Original post by Alix-21
Yep they change grades so damn often . Am i right in thinking that AAB and A*BB equal same ucas points but if they ask for AAB then A*BB is not always accepted as the same as they want at least 2 grade A ?
Yes - there's no obligation for a uni to compromise on that, and some don't.
Reply 38
They aren't. The 2014 prospectus still has the course in question showing at the main Exeter campus. It's important to appreciate that in this case we are talking about entirely separate courses with different codes, which may well have different entry requirements as the History courses do - see my post earlier.
If she has filled everything in correctly for Streatham AND she has definitely met all the conditions of her offer AND the course is still being taught in Exeter, then the university has an obligation which it must fulfill.

I would suggest threatening them with both legal action and a large dollop of adverse publicity if they try to send her to Falmouth. Either or both should concentrate their minds!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending