The Student Room Group

IB Freshers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 81
Original post by marieserena7

You don't prepare. It might seem contradictory to the scary reputation of IB, but the truth is there's not much you can do anyway. You have no idea what is going to be taught and in what order, so just enjoy the last few weeks of your holidays and calm down. However I do recommend that you read your English books if you're doing Lit. :yes: Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
You don't prepare. It might seem contradictory to the scary reputation of IB, but the truth is there's not much you can do anyway. You have no idea what is going to be taught and in what order, so just enjoy the last few weeks of your holidays and calm down. However I do recommend that you read your English books if you're doing Lit. :yes: Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Hi guys!

I'm starting the IB in a weeks time and the subjects I'm taking are:

HL - Mathematics, Chemistry, Spanish
SL - English, History, German

To be honest I'm so excited about it and also (which is a little evil of me, but whatever), I'm waiting for all the lazy bums to drop out of Maths HL :closedeyes: True story: A boy a year ahead told me that in his year, in September there were 12 people in the class, and by May only 2 (including him) survived :biggrin:

Good luck to us all! x
Hey,

Started IB this week...and the work is already coming flowing in !
Reply 85
Good luck to all ye who start the IB, may God have mercy on your souls.

Nahh I'm joking it isn't that awful! But I know its stressy and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me - now that I'm free from it forever!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kirimin
Good luck to all ye who start the IB, may God have mercy on your souls.

Nahh I'm joking it isn't that awful! But I know its stressy and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me - now that I'm free from it forever!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is pretty awful :tongue:

I'm also here for questions. I'm an IB tutor for English and history Higher level!
Original post by Calllu-m

I'm also here for questions. I'm an IB tutor for English and history Higher level!

I'm taking History HL :smile:
Do you have any tips on how to excel in it ?? Would really appreciate it :wink:

I gave you tips earlier :smile: I was the one who told you how hard it is!

But analysis is as important as facts and historiography can mean the difference between a 6 and a 7.
I gave you tips earlier :smile: I was the one who told you how hard it is!

Oh yeah :biggrin: sorry didn't saw your name :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91

Hehe I think now that I've finished I look back on it more fondly(?) :P

Oh and I probably should mention I did
HL bio chem and english
SL psych maths and spanish ab initio

So you can ask me about them :smile: (although preferably not english or spanish!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kirimin

HL bio chem and english

So you can ask me about them :smile: (although preferably not english or spanish!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same, I actually find myself thinking I ENJOYED my EE.

I did HL English, History Geography
SL French B, Math Studies and Biology
Reply 93
Yeah same, I actually find myself thinking I ENJOYED my EE.

I did HL English, History Geography
SL French B, Math Studies and Biology

:O :O :O

Same actually....

Oh god the horror D:
Im not sure yet what to do and i start in a week!! Any help pls i am doubting between:
English HL
SpanishHL
French HL
bussiness SL
maths SL
Env.systems SL

OR to take something like this coz i love biology but hate Chem!!
English HL
Spanish hL
Biology HL
Business SL
French SL
Maths SL
i am really good in the three languages thats why i took them but then i think that for a career biology isnt gonna be any help here, its just gonna be a subject i am gonna study for 2 years and thats it. Thnx
Original post by Kirimin

HL bio chem and english

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi, was biology really difficult to study? Because i loooove biology but many times i find it difficult to study soo much. if u see my first post it says i would be taking biology as HL and for the unis i need a good entry requirement. So pls what do u suggest me to do take bio HL for not?? i start the ib in like a week. Thanxx
Original post by alwaysdream_hs
hi, was biology really difficult to study? Because i loooove biology but many times i find it difficult to study soo much. if u see my first post it says i would be taking biology as HL and for the unis i need a good entry requirement. So pls what do u suggest me to do take bio HL for not?? i start the ib in like a week. Thanxx

I'm halfway through the IB, and I took HL bio as well as SL chem. I'd say HL bio isn't difficult if you have a good head for systems and how things fit together, there's also a good deal of vocabulary, but it isn't as much about using formulae and things like physics, but more about memorising processes and vocabulary. If you think you can deal with that then I'd say go with it, there are only a couple difficult chapters, the rest are pretty easy. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by alwaysdream_hs

Hi :smile: I think the thing with biology is that you need to go over it little and often. I would ask your college if they would let you swap if you didn't like it after a couple of weeks because it will be better to study something you love than something you hate.

Feel free to pm me with any questions about it and I'm starting to set up an IB revision site so I'll post the link to that later (currently on phone)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you all like IB so far ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was exhausting in the beginning and I was struggling to cope with the amount of work I was getting for SL English (my teacher was piling HL work on us) but thankfully, I've adjusted now and it's not *that* bad although there's a lot of studying to do. Good luck everyone, how are you all finding it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending