The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9020
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
LOL how about we give them Kagawa in exchange for Gundogan. Then go for Ozil to replace Kagawa. That would be some end to our transfer window :daydreaming:

Gundogan is injured and wont be going anywhere this window...
Original post by cost
Gundogan is injured and wont be going anywhere this window...

Yep I've heard but I wasn't being serious. Kagawa will stay this season for sure. He just needs a chance in his favoured position to get the best out of him.
i know we have a lot of talent, in terms of strikers, but i really do hope we sign Berbatov back, just so Chelsea can't buy him.

He looked almost world-class against Arsenal, a shadow of his former self, but still very dangerous, if he had the Chelsea midfield behind him...
Original post by mrmicrosoft
i know we have a lot of talent, in terms of strikers, but i really do hope we sign Berbatov back, just so Chelsea can't buy him.

He looked almost world-class against Arsenal, a shadow of his former self, but still very dangerous, if he had the Chelsea midfield behind him...

Are you being serious?

First of all we've got so many strikers and not enough positions in the team. And once Hernandez comes back it'll become even more competitive if it isn't already. Berbatov wouldn't even make the bench then.

And since when did Chelsea show an interest in him anyway? They look set to land Eto.
Probably won't see Kagawa until the Palace game.

Moyes is doing the right thing though. We have a tough start and he's keep his squad selection as tight as possible. We'll definitely see more of the Kagawas and Nanis after the City game.
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Are you being serious?

First of all we've got so many strikers and not enough positions in the team. And once Hernandez comes back it'll become even more competitive if it isn't already. Berbatov wouldn't even make the bench then.

And since when did Chelsea show an interest in him anyway? They look set to land Eto.

He's an arsenal fan and berbatov was shocking against arsenal. He's trolling. I don't get what people get out of this... He also said on our thread that torres was playing like he did at atletico vs you guys yesterday.
(edited 10 years ago)
Kagawa is going to have a tough time getting a lot of playing time with Rooney still here. Unless we play him on the left, but it seems to be Welbeck's position now.
I've just been thinking about Antonio Valencia and I would rather we play him at RB (whilst Rafael is injured) than Jones. Valencia has speed, stamina, strength and can put in a good tackle. Plus, he has played there before. Jones is a CB, it's like trying to play Vidic at RB. I just can't stand watching Jones in the final third.
Original post by Manchester United
I've just been thinking about Antonio Valencia and I would rather we play him at RB (whilst Rafael is injured) than Jones. Valencia has speed, stamina, strength and can put in a good tackle. Plus, he has played there before. Jones is a CB, it's like trying to play Vidic at RB. I just can't stand watching Jones in the final third.

Valencia has played RB before and has been pretty good at it. I don't like watching Jones at all. Watching him attack is just painful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Manchester United

Or we could just give Fabio a go. He should be given a chance to prove himself.
Fabio didn't even make the bench yesterday. Buttner was there. That surprised me.
We need to see how it goes through the season, it's gonna be a long season for you guys, I'm sure you'll get to at least the quarters in the CL and with the strength of the squad should go on good cup runs. People should get their fair share of appearances.
Reply 9032
With Schalke and Arsenal through to CL, and if Milan and Lyon go through it could mean Juve (also City) are in pot 3 for UCL group, with teams like PSG, Milan, Schalke, Athletico Madrid in pot 2 and BVB definitely in pot 3 as well, the chances of a tough group is very high this year.
Original post by rohitbd
With Schalke and Arsenal through to CL, and if Milan and Lyon go through it could mean Juve (also City) are in pot 3 for UCL group, with teams like PSG, Milan, Schalke, Athletico Madrid in pot 2 and BVB definitely in pot 3 as well, the chances of a tough group is very high this year.

Yup possibility of a nasty group is high. Would laugh if City had another tough group :laugh:
Original post by rohitbd

I don't get why there's so many tough groups now. Lyon won't go through. But then that's even worse as sociedad are in pot 4 as they've not been in europe since 04 or something like that. Could end up with United, PSG, Dortmund, Sociedad as a group. Sociedad would be whipping boys despite probably being able to make it out of 50% of the groups and you'd toss a coin with 2 of the three that'll go through.
Original post by Malevolent
Yup possibility of a nasty group is high. Would laugh if City had another tough group :laugh:

Bayern, PSG, City and sociedad would be :rofl: I reckon it's time for arsenal to get a group of death now. United as well they've had piss easy groups the past 3 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9036
Capital One Cup draw is tonight after Newcastle's match against Morecambe, and the Champions League draw for the group stage is tomorrow at 4:45pm. Any predictions/preferences? For the Capital One Cup, obvs a home tie against some lower league opposition would be nice, but I can see us getting a Prem side (as usual). Here are the pots for the CL group stage so far. I think pot 2 looks alright really, would only want to avoid Atleti and PSG from that. Obviously Juve and Milan could end up in there, wouldn't want them either, though Milan aren't too troublesome anymore. Pot three could be quite nasty with Juve, Dortmund and Leverkusen, or the latter in 4 with Napoli.

What I'm most surprised about is pot 1. Porto and Benfica? Really? Uefa's ratings are odd.
Original post by xDave-
Capital One Cup draw is tonight after Newcastle's match against Morecambe, and the Champions League draw for the group stage is tomorrow at 4:45pm. Any predictions/preferences? For the Capital One Cup, obvs a home tie against some lower league opposition would be nice, but I can see us getting a Prem side (as usual). Here are the pots for the CL group stage so far. I think pot 2 looks alright really, would only want to avoid Atleti and PSG from that. Obviously Juve and Milan could end up in there, wouldn't want them either, though Milan aren't too troublesome anymore. Pot three could be quite nasty with Juve, Dortmund and Leverkusen, or the latter in 4 with Napoli.

What I'm most surprised about is pot 1. Porto and Benfica? Really? Uefa's ratings are odd.

I think the UEFA points system is based on an aggregate of the last few years. Therefore, Benfica and Porto deserve to be in pot 1. Although, Atletico Madrid have won two Europa leagues recently.
Original post by jam277
Bayern, PSG, City and sociedad would be :rofl: I reckon it's time for arsenal to get a group of death now. United as well they've had piss easy groups the past 3 years.

I wish they'd stop seeding the group stages as they're a complete bore and in most cases a formality. You do get the odd exception e.g United not qualifying two seasons ago and yourselves failing to last season but 9 times out of 10 you can predict who'll get through before a ball has been kicked. Would be nice to have exciting ties from the first week instead of having to play the likes of Otulel Galati, Bursaspor and Cluj. Barca, United and Bayern in the same group? Tough ****. Won't happen though as it would mean UEFA losing revenue.
Original post by sr90
I wish they'd stop seeding the group stages as they're a complete bore and in most cases a formality. You do get the odd exception e.g United not qualifying two seasons ago and yourselves failing to last season but 9 times out of 10 you can predict who'll get through before a ball has been kicked. Would be nice to have exciting ties from the first week instead of having to play the likes of Otulel Galati, Bursaspor and Cluj. Barca, United and Bayern in the same group? Tough ****. Won't happen though as it would mean UEFA losing revenue.

I rather see top teams in the knock out stages than the likes of Bursaspor. Even though it's not as exciting in the beginning, would you really rather have Madrid vs Bayern in the group stages not the knock out rounds?

Latest