The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up drawing PSG and Dortmund and Napoli. With Moyes coming out and complaining about in the press conference. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9081
Original post by Stopmessing
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up drawing PSG and Dortmund and Napoli.

I think Juventus, Dortmund and Real Sociedad could be equally as bad, if not worse! But, overall, I think there are some quite nice teams we could get in there. I'd quite like a hard group though, makes it much more exciting. Better than playing the likes of Otelul Galati anyway!
Original post by xDave-
I think Juventus, Dortmund and Real Sociedad could be equally as bad, if not worse! But, overall, I think there are some quite nice teams we could get in there. I'd quite like a hard group though, makes it much more exciting. Better than playing the likes of Otelul Galati anyway!

Yeah true. Even we did get a tough group I'd love to see how our squad goes up against top European teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We tend to get easier groups in the CL. It's in the English competitions that we get horrible draws.
Reply 9084
Shakhtar... That's dull and a horrible trip.
Leverkusen, dunno enough to comment on them really. Watch out for Kiessling is all I know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Shakhtar, Leverkusen and Sociedad it is then. Happy with that.
Quite a tricky group compared to what we could have. Could be a lot worse though so I'm not complaining.
Reply 9087
Looks like Arsenal may not enter the knockout stages....

Also City might finally get out....
Fair group really. If we play anywhere near to our best, we have the capabilities to beat all teams home and away. Easier said than done of course.
analysis;

Chelsea couldn't have wished for an easier draw.

City should really walk get through that group easily, only Bayern there are a threat.

United and Arsenal both have potentially awkward games though, should be interesting for both of them.

Celtic are screwed lol
Pleased that's over! What a painfully slow process. But overall very happy with our group. Arsenal have the worst group possible (after Celtic). Chelsea one of the easiest. And Manchester City somewhere in between although they'll be more than pleased compared to the group they had last year.
I'd have taken that at the start of the draw. Donetsk, despite losing Fernandinho/Willian, have got a decent side that will be difficult to play on their ground. Leverkusen, intrigued by how they've evolved since 2002, and Sociedad are a new team but equally as intriguing and dangerous. Griezmann just one player that is good alongside with Vela, who played for Arsenal.

Arsenal, if they don't re-inforce their squad, could be in danger of not getting past the group stages. City should get through with Bayern and Celtic are out lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Our group is difficult and I'm slightly worried that overconfidence will hinder us. Shakhtar have done well in the Champions League over the last few years and despite losing some big players (Mkhitaryan, Willian, Fernandinho) they have brought in some exciting young talent from South America (Nem, Bernard, Fred, Ferreyra). Leverkusen and Sociedad are both strong teams and we will have to be at our best to get results against them.
Reply 9093
Cant wait to see celtic get stuck in though their fanbase is excellent , Decent draw from the english sides , istill believe arsenal will get though somehow immediatly ithink 7 points from them but they manage to do it all the time .
After watching that long process , i considerd what an actual really good signing felleni would be if u stick him in the CM role next to carrick , hees a huge player and can be dominant in a central role if he puts his weight around i also believe he is yet to peak and can oy get better .. ( This thought came about when PSG nearly enterd our group and my heart nearly shot out ) To be a threat i believe Manuel would increase our chances significantly , even though iwasnt convinced at allllll beforehand
Original post by mojojojo101
Our group is difficult and I'm slightly worried that overconfidence will hinder us. Shakhtar have done well in the Champions League over the last few years and despite losing some big players (Mkhitaryan, Willian, Fernandinho) they have brought in some exciting young talent from South America (Nem, Bernard, Fred, Ferreyra). Leverkusen and Sociedad are both strong teams and we will have to be at our best to get results against them.

The key thing is to have a more stable, stronger defence, similiar to what we had last year when SAF focused more on that in his selection compared to the year before when we got knocked out early on. Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Evra are hopefully going to be providing bundles of experience so if we can keep them fit, and add a midfielder (?) then I think that will massively help us. It's a tough group but I'd expect us to do enough to get over.
The group could be a lot worse. We'll be fine.
Reply 9096
It's an average group, not the worst teams but not the best teams. It'll be harder than our previous ones, but you'd still expect nothing less than first place.
Original post by NathanW18
The group could be a lot worse. We'll be fine.

Just like when you had Benfica and Basel?
Original post by Yolo McSwaggins
Just like when you had Benfica and Basel?

Mate Benfica are a Pot 1 team.

:wink:
Reply 9099
I think it is a difficult draw. All 3 teams are capable of beating us at their own ground. All in all I think 9 points from our 3 home games are necessary or else I start to fear.

Latest