The Student Room Group

What do you do when you can't be bothered to revise??

For the past 2 weeks, I've been trying to revise for A level maths S1 and nothing seems to be going right because I really can't be bothered.
Instead, I end up up procrastinating on tsr or by watching tv which is really worrying because I have already failed this year with terrible grades.
I am resitting the year in the hope that this won't happen again.

My question: what do you when you can't be bothered to revise?
How do you motivate yourself?

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't really have any advice but I'm in exactly the same position!
Gym.
Reply 3
Original post by lauraaaaa
I don't really have any advice but I'm in exactly the same position!

same here I have been trying to get some pre-study done for a-level but cannot seem to get started! if anyone has any advice ,please post!!!
Just get on with it? :lolwut: 1st world problems really do plague this forum.
Reply 5
Usually put a cd on, some say it distracts you but for me it makes it more enjoyable, and revising with a cd is better than nothing (unless you really can't take anything in which makes it a bit of a waste of time, this doesn't sound so good now I've put it like that)
If you've got friends that won't distract you and you feel will genuinely help then invite them over and say I really need to revise for x amount of hours but then we can go to the cinema or wherever.
replace song lyrics with bullet points of revision.
YouTube videos are good because you don't have to read anything :smile:
Different things work for different people and all that
Procrastinate on TSR :biggrin:
Original post by Infinity_4652
For the past 2 weeks, I've been trying to revise for A level maths S1 and nothing seems to be going right because I really can't be bothered.
Instead, I end up up procrastinating on tsr or by watching tv which is really worrying because I have already failed this year with terrible grades.

Think of failing again if you don't revise this year?

You might want to make a revision timetable or set a regular revision time (e.g. 4-6pm) or something to get into a routine.
The main thing with me is wanting to make my parents proud. I have lovely parents who have always been incredibly supportive and caring of me. They were also willing to help me with my exam revision approaching June (when I did my GCSEs) just by doing simple things such as buying me revision guides, having patience with me while I was stressed, testing me on my German vocab and listening to me ramble on about ancient Egyptian medicine. I therefore wanted to do well in my exams to make then proud. I feel that after their loyalty and patience with me, I owe it to them to at least try my best.

I also wish to make my lovely grandparents proud, as they have always been therefore me through my whole life. As of yet, none of my cousins in either side if the family have gone to university; although they have gone on to do other great things, I think my grandparents would very proud to have a grandchild who is academically talented amongst their other grandchildren, especially as my dad's parents are quite traditional and would appreciate a grandchild who tried very hard at school and therefore was able to access good university education.

Obviously every now and then I really didn’t feel like revising, so I would go for two hour walks every-other-day, which was lovely as I got fresh air. I tried sometimes to make revision a bit more interesting by doing it with my friends, and they were therefore able to help me in any areas which I struggled. It’s also nice to do some baking approaching exam period, you can stop revising for an hour or two, and it gives you something nice to eat whilst you revise.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 9
Listen to music or play games on my phone. Or just spend time here :smile:. But this year I'm trying my hardest not to procrastinate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Infinity_4652

I was in the same position last year! All I did was thinking about how devastated I was last year on results day and kept replaying the horror in my head!
I learnt not to do too much in one go! set yourself targets and rewards for once you've achieved it! help others study and it will help you!
you have to be in thew right mind set to do revision, without it your just wasteing your time!
and never leave revision to last minute you must revise after every lesson!! It truly helps

I went from UUC to AAA!!! (Gotta love saying that!)
Reply 11
One time I was complaining to my flatmate that I didn't want to go to the gym and he said 'when I feel like that, I make myself go anyway because I know I'll feel worse if I don't.' Apply that to revision- the nagging at the back of your mind won't go away until you make a start :smile:
Reply 12
Something else.
Physical activity (no, not sex... well whatever works) seriously though when I was revising for my AS exams, after 30 minutes of revision i would "reward" myself by kicking a football about the garden for 5-10 mins. It really helps you focus on revision afterwards if you do something active!
Reply 14
Drinking tea and yoga mainly
When I can't be bothered to revise what I usually do is badly in my exams. Work hard, play hard
Reply 16
Make sure you create a plan where you revise several subjects a day. Start revising at least a month before your first exam. Revise in 1 hour sessions with 5 minutes breaks before each session. Eat well, get some fresh air daily and get enough sleep. PS Hide your computer so you won't get distracted by stuff on the Internet.
Reply 17
Original post by deathhead
When I can't be bothered to revise what I usually do is badly in my exams. Work hard, play hard

Basically this, I don't like revising but I always think of the end product, the success.

Admittedly I haven't really started revision properly yet, but I busted my butt for AS so i'm taking a break.

To be blunt OP I don't think you have the time to not be bothered to revise, I'm guessing your retaking some AS exams along with your A2 ones. If I was you I'd be doing 3 hrs work a day now (it's gonna be a long year for everyone) .Increasing this to 5 hrs once term starts, then 8 hrs during exam period
Thanks everyone!! Really helpful advice! :smile:

I will hopefully try my best to be motivated when revising and not end up procrastinating! :tongue:
If you hate revising y u in academia tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending