The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9920
We bid £28m for Fellaini and Baines.

Now we've signed Fellaini for £27.5m.
Original post by Over2you
Contareo - good signing. Why wasn't all this crap done earlier for crying out flipping loud. I genuinely don't understand why this guy spent all summer chasing Baines then. Poor, poor, poor!

But Fellani for £27 mil.....

:biggrin:
I think this is why we didn't get any business done

7abio Coentrao, Sky Sports aren't calling it off yet.
Reply 9924
I'm confused. Have you guys bought Fellaini?
At least we kept Kagawa and Rooney, should have really loaned out Zaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Wenger's spent about 60m net since 1996 man. Given the resources at this disposal, which by the way are self generated unlike some others, he's still showing remarkable restraint. Look at how many youth products we have in the XI for a start, Szcz, Gibbs, Jenkinson Wilshere with others like Ramsey/Walcott brought in young and trained. If we're buying success then so are BVB/Bayern as they're the same.

Walcott was still close to £10 million, was it not? That's still pretty pricey for a teenager (and more than Manchester United paid for Ronaldo, two and a half years earlier). Moreover some of those "youth products" only had a year as youth players.

Anyway, this argument again. When you were competitive, you still splashed the cash when needed, as all successful clubs do. The only reason why spending has declined in recent years is, as you know only too well, the burden of the stadium. This has brought a corresponding decline in trophies won and league position,

Should Arsenal get back to being competitive I have no doubt that they will splash the case, when needed, once more.

Practically every single club that's had success as "bought success" in some way or another. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just one does get irritated by certain Arsenal fans or admiters criticising teams, such as Manchester United, for "buying success".
Coentrao deal being off would be the icing on the transfer-deadline cake. I'll never, hopefully, experience this day again.
Original post by Deshi
I'm confused. Have you guys bought Fellaini?

Fellaini is done. Coentrao on a season-long loan is up in the air.
Lol you couldn't write this.
Original post by Stopmessing
Lol you couldn't write this.

I keep asking myself, is this real life?
Original post by Aky786UK
Coentrao deal being off would be the icing on the transfer-deadline cake. I'll never, hopefully, experience this day again.

We don't even need him. From one bench to another. Desperation all I can say.
If the Coentrao deal sheet was into the EPL by 11, then United have until midnight to finalise the paperwork.

It is all happening.
Original post by River85
Walcott was still close to £10 million, was it not? That's still pretty pricey for a teenager (and more than Manchester United paid for Ronaldo, two and a half years earlier). Moreover some of those "youth products" only had a year as youth players.

Anyway, this argument again. When you were competitive, you still splashed the cash when needed, as all successful clubs do. The only reason why spending has declined in recent years is, as you know only too well, the burden of the stadium. This has brought a corresponding decline in trophies won and league position,

Should Arsenal get back to being competitive I have no doubt that they will splash the case, when needed, once more.

Practically every single club that's had success as "bought success" in some way or another. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just one does get irritated by certain Arsenal fans or admiters criticising teams, such as Manchester United, for "buying success".

Great post mate. But there is a stigma to 'buying success' that's not fair on Wenger given his philosophy and faith in youth. In my opinion, Mourinho, Mancini, PSG buy success but Fergie, Bayern havent even if they have spent lots when needed. Think the term is too sloppy, but Wenger is a million miles away from Mourinho. He's spending to supplement his project whereas spending is Mou's project.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9934
Twitter saying Coentrao's wife just Tweeted "HALA MADRID".

I'm just laughing at all this, brilliant.
In the midst of the ridiculousness of this day, made me realise how important it was to hold onto Rooney. Can you imagine this day AFTER he had left us for Chelsea?!! Rooney staying, Fellaini joining (and hopefully improving his game) and Moyes' ability to hopefully be more inventive with the team, gives me hope.
This day has to be worse than Martin Tyler screaming in that Sergio Augero goal 2 years ago :frown: I can't remember for the life of me when I've had this much stress on my head for a Man Utd deadline day. to rub salt in the wound, Arsenal sign Ozil.
Original post by Aky786UK
In the midst of the ridiculousness of this day, made me realise how important it was to hold onto Rooney. Can you imagine this day AFTER he had left us for Chelsea?!! Rooney staying, Fellaini joining (and hopefully improving his game) and Moyes' ability to hopefully be more inventive with the team, gives me hope.

I can't agree with this anymore - 100% Our squad would have looked seriously depleted without him in our side.
BTW totally off topic but don't we need to create another Manchester United thread? Approaching the 10000 posts soon.
Good thing this thread's coming to an end so we can put the transfer window behind us.

All in all, Fellaini and Coentrao in, Rooney and Nani stayed, not the worst transfer window ever in terms of what we've got. How Woodward went about it, on the other hand, is another thing altogether..

Latest