The Student Room Group

Mid uni crisis, can I get some advice?

Hi, this is my first post and I couldn't find a better section to put this topic in but forgive me if I'm wrong. I joined primarily to ask this question but may end up sticking around.

I'm about to start my 3rd year on a Film and Video course but since the start of the second year I've been having doubts. We found out in the second year that our skillset award had been removed and despite complaints we didn't really learn anything all year. This was against my first year experience which was actually quite pleasant.

However, in first year I still felt like I was going down the wrong route and it's taken me ages (and a push from family and friends) to realize what a giant mistake I made by choosing this course. Since early A Level I've been using 3D programs and drawing sketches of things to design and my passion lies with games. In A Level my art teachers pushed me towards film, it's the main reason for why I'm on this course and although they might have seen potential for me to follow this path I didn't realize until over half way through my first year in University that everything I had been doing until then had mostly been through their choices and not mine, which makes me feel very foolish. (kinda almost like a dog doing a trick to get a treat, I guess I may be a bit of an attention seeker at times).

My predicament at the moment is now that I'm starting 3rd year I have a big decision to make, do I finish my last year and get a degree in a subject that I have no intention of following. Or do I switch my path and restart my tuition having these last 2 years wasted.

What's more, I'm discovering a lot of information that games "developer" courses are a waste of time according to the industry and computer science is far more respected. However, I was very interested in doing 3D art creation as well as programming so taking a computer science course only covers half of what I want to do. Likewise if I take a game art course (not developer) I wont be covering programming. I want to prioritize game art over game programming and so I'm attending an open day to my own university this Friday to sit in and listen on the Game Art course and to see what they offer. If I like what I hear I may book an appointment with the course leader to see if they can offer me advice.

My question at the moment is, is there a way I can skip the foundation year but still get the full degree, so that I'm not in education for another 3 years?

Or are there any suitable part time courses that cover what I want and that offer a reputable qualification?

My mum seems to want to support me on a part time course while I continue my current degree, however reputable online university courses such as Gnomon's don't offer qualifications. Would these courses be worth my time?

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can answer these questions.

--Axi5.
Reply 1
It's only one more year. Not much time at all. I say keep at it till you've done your last year and you'll have a degree under your belt. Then you have a much wider range of options to choose from. There is no point wasting the last 2 yrs.

Also, I'm not sure how it works but at this point in the year you'd only be able to find a course for next year, no? So might as well continue.

I'm not sure about the reputation of the online courses.

Maybe contact game design companies and ask what they look for? Ask if they think your degree would be suitable and maybe show them some work you have done?
Reply 2
Original post by Prosody
It's only one more year. Not much time at all. I say keep at it till you've done your last year and you'll have a degree under your belt. Then you have a much wider range of options to choose from. There is no point wasting the last 2 yrs.

Also, I'm not sure how it works but at this point in the year you'd only be able to find a course for next year, no? So might as well continue.

I'm not sure about the reputation of the online courses.

Maybe contact game design companies and ask what they look for? Ask if they think your degree would be suitable and maybe show them some work you have done?

Thanks Prosody that's a really good idea right at the end there! A friend of a friend of mine did something similar asking them to critique his work but I didn't think about asking exactly what qualifications they want (eegadz).

I think at the start of the course year there's like a time where it's possible to transfer to another course, however I'd be transferring into first year Game Art not 3rd year obviously. I'm not sure whether this time is available to me as I'm starting 3rd year I'm seriously late to the party haha.

Thanks for the advice I'll try contacting some people right now (:
Reply 3
Original post by Axi5
Thanks Prosody that's a really good idea right at the end there! A friend of a friend of mine did something similar asking them to critique his work but I didn't think about asking exactly what qualifications they want (eegadz).

I think at the start of the course year there's like a time where it's possible to transfer to another course, however I'd be transferring into first year Game Art not 3rd year obviously. I'm not sure whether this time is available to me as I'm starting 3rd year I'm seriously late to the party haha.

Thanks for the advice I'll try contacting some people right now (:

No problem, I hope it works out for you :smile:
Many, many people go through this moment - 'why am I here', 'what is this all for' etc - at some point during their degree, promise. Go and talk to your Personal Tutor or make an appointment with your student counselling service for a chat - you dont have to be 'ill' to use this service, its there for moments like this when you are feeling depressed, worried etc as well. You've only got 9 months to go - a half completed degree is utterly useless so grit your teeth and finish it. Even if it isnt what you really want to do for a career etc, at least you'll have 'a degree' - and the satisfaction that you did finish it.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
Many, many people go through this moment - 'why am I here', 'what is this all for' etc - at some point during their degree, promise. Go and talk to your Personal Tutor or make an appointment with your student counselling service for a chat - you dont have to be 'ill' to use this service, its there for moments like this when you are feeling depressed, worried etc as well. You've only got 9 months to go - a half completed degree is utterly useless so grit your teeth and finish it. Even if it isnt what you really want to do for a career etc, at least you'll have 'a degree' - and the satisfaction that you did finish it.

My thoughts exactly before my family and friends started pressuring me XD

Thanks for the advice I'll talk to someone in Uni about it! (:

Quick Reply

Latest