On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Freshers 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by ChristyG1995
Geology is exactly the same, UCAS said the course is due to start on the 1st, but i checked the welcome week timetable and there is a sort of introduction thing as far as i can tell on the 26th at the NOC, then my first week starts on the 30th

Have you seen we start on the 30th sept and we go on a field trip to Lulworth on the 5th oct

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Is anyone else annoyed by the changes to the U6 unilink route? I would have been able to get a bus from the stop by my halls (Liberty Point) to the NOC but it doesn't go there any more. It stops at West Quay. Now I have to work out where I can change routes and whether the bus times match up. :unsure:
I am confused. How do you know which courts are you allocated to? Mine only says glen eyre main building!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugg
Have you seen we start on the 30th sept and we go on a field trip to Lulworth on the 5th oct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i did see that, its awesome that we are getting into field trips already, what halls are you staying at?

Where'sPerry?: Im also staying at Liberty point and will be going to the NOC, do the changes make getting there just more inconvenient because we have to get to West Quay, or are there other problems? i didnt know anything about the changes until you mentioned them
Im also staying at Liberty point and will be going to the NOC, do the changes make getting there just more inconvenient because we have to get to West Quay, or are there other problems? i didnt know anything about the changes until you mentioned them

It's just more inconvenient I think. We need to get onto the U6 and change at some point onto the U1. The best place to do it is probably West Quay, but I'm going to try to figure it out on Sunday 22nd (the day the timetable changes) :redface:

It just seems like such a stupid change. The Unilink service is primarily for university students so it seems ridiculous to make a whole campus less accessible to its target audience.
Original post by Where'sPerry?
It's just more inconvenient I think. We need to get onto the U6 and change at some point onto the U1. The best place to do it is probably West Quay, but I'm going to try to figure it out on Sunday 22nd (the day the timetable changes) :redface:

It just seems like such a stupid change. The Unilink service is primarily for university students so it seems ridiculous to make a whole campus less accessible to its target audience.

I guess we aren't too far from West Quay anyway so that's okay, it gives me a chance to get a coffee on the way to the NOC to keep me awake given the early starts haha, yeah i will need to figure it out, im arriving at liberty point on the 22nd so i will have to do that at some point as well :smile:

yeah it does seem a bit stupid, but if it just means a 10 minute walk to the bus stop then i guess it could be worse
I guess we aren't too far from West Quay anyway so that's okay, it gives me a chance to get a coffee on the way to the NOC to keep me awake given the early starts haha, yeah i will need to figure it out, im arriving at liberty point on the 22nd so i will have to do that at some point as well :smile:

yeah it does seem a bit stupid, but if it just means a 10 minute walk to the bus stop then i guess it could be worse

Yeah, hopefully it's a very simple changeover! If it is, I guess I have no issues with it :tongue:

Edit: Just remembered that I have a question which I'm hoping someone can help answer; can non-students attend any of the Fresher's events? If so, which ones?
(edited 10 years ago)
Is anyone else annoyed by the changes to the U6 unilink route? I would have been able to get a bus from the stop by my halls (Liberty Point) to the NOC but it doesn't go there any more. It stops at West Quay. Now I have to work out where I can change routes and whether the bus times match up. :unsure:

The U1 is literally like a 3-5 minute walk (if that) from Orions Point. :smile: And I wasn't aware that they have changed the route!
Original post by 1platinum
And I wasn't aware that they have changed the route!

The uni had planned these changes since March. Bluestar only decided to tell us all about them in the last couple of weeks.

I had spoken to the uni's COO and head of estates about the changes - routes/timetables/fares. Apparently they're all fine by it all, so that's that.
The U1 is literally like a 3-5 minute walk (if that) from Orions Point. :smile: And I wasn't aware that they have changed the route!

Ahh okay I didn't know this. It looks further on the network map because it's very stylised I guess :tongue: Thanks!
Reply 790
Yeah i did see that, its awesome that we are getting into field trips already, what halls are you staying at?

Where'sPerry?: Im also staying at Liberty point and will be going to the NOC, do the changes make getting there just more inconvenient because we have to get to West Quay, or are there other problems? i didnt know anything about the changes until you mentioned them

I am staying at Richard Newitt court, Glen Eyre. Bit far from NOC but it isn't too bad! Yeh iris cool we get to go on the field trip so soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh okay I didn't know this. It looks further on the network map because it's very stylised I guess :tongue: Thanks!

And from that stop to NOCS it should only be about 15-20 minute max to NOCS. And around that sort of time up to Highfield. :smile:
And from that stop to NOCS it should only be about 15-20 minute max to NOCS. And around that sort of time up to Highfield. :smile:

That sounds good, but I spoke to my mum about it earlier and she seems to think you have to cross a 4-lane major road to get to the U1 stop, do you know if that's true? I really have no idea where she gets this stuff :lol:
That sounds good, but I spoke to my mum about it earlier and she seems to think you have to cross a 4-lane major road to get to the U1 stop, do you know if that's true? I really have no idea where she gets this stuff :lol:

Yeah there is a 4 lane major road but it's not as major as it sounds! Most people are able to cross easily or if you want there is a safer place to cross just up the road. :smile:
Yeah there is a 4 lane major road but it's not as major as it sounds! Most people are able to cross easily or if you want there is a safer place to cross just up the road. :smile:

Okay, thank you! :biggrin:
I think your first day should be the 30th. UCAS said my course started on the 1st too, but I have lectures timetabled for the Monday of week 1 :dontknow:

The 30th? Ahh, I don't know what to do!
I'm not sure whether to turn up on the Monday or the Tuesday.
My timetable is the same, I have lectures on Monday week 1.
But why would they put the 1st on ucas and everything?
At least I know I'm definitely going in on Tuesday 24th, I'll ask around and see what most people seem to be doing.
Good excuse to start talking to people I suppose XD
Original post by EmilyT1994
The 30th? Ahh, I don't know what to do!
I'm not sure whether to turn up on the Monday or the Tuesday.
My timetable is the same, I have lectures on Monday week 1.
But why would they put the 1st on ucas and everything?
At least I know I'm definitely going in on Tuesday 24th, I'll ask around and see what most people seem to be doing.
Good excuse to start talking to people I suppose XD

I have no idea, but on UCAS they had me down as a postgraduate! So I don't completely trust its accuracy :tongue: I'm sure the lecturers/staff can confirm what day we should be starting, too :yep:
I have no idea, but on UCAS they had me down as a postgraduate! So I don't completely trust its accuracy :tongue: I'm sure the lecturers/staff can confirm what day we should be starting, too :yep:

Oh lol, that's not a good start XD
Yeah I will just ask =)
Has anyone had their optional modules added to their timetable yet?

Also, has anyone from the school of Ocean and Earth science bought the books from their reading list? They're mega expensive and I can't find them online cheaper (I can barely find them at all)
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anyone had their optional modules added to their timetable yet?

Also, has anyone from the school of Ocean and Earth science bought the books from their reading list? They're mega expensive and I can't find them online cheaper (I can barely find them at all)

My 1st semester optional modules for Geology are on my timetable now, and im not buying any books till i see how many are in the library at the NOC, if there are enough i will stick with them, photocopy pages i need too and such, because as you said, the books are very expensive, if they are in short supply i will probably buy my own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending