The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lp386
Doubtful - I'm not aware of any other college that asks for one. I think (from my extremely limited knowledge of data protection law) that they can use your data for reasonable purposes, so I think Trinity's just covering their backsides here just in case.

For your purposes, if you haven't been asked to fill in a form, you don't have to fill in a form, and your application will be valid.

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I wasn't even aware of these forms until I spoke to other applicants. Only reason I asked is because the two people I know applying (to Trinity and Homerton) both needed to fill out some version of the form.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi all,

I've just applied for the MPhil in Modern European History, and have put John's as my first choice preferred college :smile:

Nervous about the application procedure, as it's much less clear than applying for undergrad :smile:
Application for Engineering from a French student,

Hi, I'm currently finishing off my SAQ for St Johns to read engineering.
Obviously in France we do not have AS level, but I had good results for my brevet (Mention Très Bien which is the equivalent of 16 +/20). For the bac, the requirement of A*AA roughly translates 17, 15 15 if I am correct (Any French students already there to help me??). This should be achievable as I am currently attaining these marks in Physics, Maths, and Chemistry and Physics. But two things worry me about my application. One is that on top of the marks for Science, French students are asked for the "Mention Très Bien" which means a mark of 16+/20 for the Bac as well as the marks for the individual scientific subjects. Although I do well in most subjects and think it is possible for me to obtain this "Mention" it would seem unfair to not be offered a place should I do not achieve the Mention Très Bien, perhaps because I do not do so well in French or Philosophy which would jeopardize the average score. These are subjects I am not applying to study. So I could get 18 18 18 in the required scientific subjects but not get the Mention Très Bien because of French or Philosophy. These are very sujective subjects, there is no moderation or recourse, and it really does depend on the mood of the corrector at that particular time!. The point i am making is that I could do well in the subjects required for, but not be offered a place (should I get this far in the application process) because I have not done so well in French and Philo. For the rest, Ie, Geography/History, English, Latin, German, Sport, Biology/Geography, Physics/Chemistry and maths, plus Speciality Physics, I am predicted to do well, but nobody can predict for French and Philo and every year we see the unfairest marks imagineable! This seems unfair when the request for GB students is confined to the Science subjects and they do not have to meet some other exam criteria. Sorry for this gripe:frown:. Anyway, I will remain hopeful.

My second question relates to practical experience/courses for Engineering. As I have been in France, it has not been posible for me to attend any "Headstart" course or similar. In France we are not allowed to go into Engineering companies for legal reasons until we are 18. And so I have conducted a series of experiments of my own to test certain aspects of engineering. St John's confirmed to me that I would not be disadvantaged for not having completed such a course. Can anybody on here enlighten me? How many Engineers had practical experience before completing the course, or had attende a Headstart or similar course.

If there are any French students reading this thread can you tell my why you chose Cambridge over the "Grande Ecole" system?

Thank you for reading the above and fingers crossed that I get offered an interview!!
Reply 1643
Does anyone know that do we send a stamped addressed envelope for them to acknowledge receipt of work? Other colleges ask for this.
Reply 1644
Original post by pwhite
Does anyone know that do we send a stamped addressed envelope for them to acknowledge receipt of work? Other colleges ask for this.

If they don't ask for it, you don't need to send it.
Reply 1645
Hey has anyone got any sort of reply from the college asking for data protection or a print off for UmS?? Because I have nothing!!! And other people from other colleges are saying that they have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reddish
Hey has anyone got any sort of reply from the college asking for data protection or a print off for UmS?? Because I have nothing!!! And other people from other colleges are saying that they have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Zilch
Reply 1647
That's reassuring thanks :smile: now only interview prep left - I Really need to ace the interview
Reply 1648
Has anyone heard anything from the college since sending in their SAQ. The deadline for written work if the 15th but I haven't been asked for any yet so not sure what to do. Also I haven't received any data protection forms or anything so I am a little worried. Thanks
Original post by gabyc
Has anyone heard anything from the college since sending in their SAQ. The deadline for written work if the 15th but I haven't been asked for any yet so not sure what to do. Also I haven't received any data protection forms or anything so I am a little worried. Thanks

Nah, just wait to see if you get an interview. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1650
Anyone know who we'll find out bout interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1651
I don't know about other colleges, but for Churchill College, they did ask me for a DP Form by mail, however, my friend who is applying to St John's hasn't received such request so far.
I haven't received anything about data protection forms or anything else from Cambridge/St John's since the SAQ confirmation email, either.
Reply 1653
When will St John's send out interview letters?
Reply 1654
has anyone heard from Johns yet they said this week but I can't wait much longer!
Reply 1655
Original post by gabyc
has anyone heard from Johns yet they said this week but I can't wait much longer!

I haven't heard anything either :frown: I guess we'll have to wait longer tho I'm not feeling confident about my chances

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just so you fellows know, I spoke to someone on the phone at Johns and she said that they hadn't sent out invitations.

That said, someone posted on TSR that she'd received an invitation to a Nat Sci interview.
Original post by Caecilius
Just so you fellows know, I spoke to someone on the phone at Johns and she said that they hadn't sent out invitations.

That said, someone posted on TSR that she'd received an invitation to a Nat Sci interview.

It's so confusing and doesn't help that they send invites out only by post! It'll be just our luck that there's a postal strike called this week.
Original post by Caecilius

I have an interview too for ChemEng via NatSci that came through the post today.
Wow didn't realise this thread existed!! I'm a history applicant this year desperately hoping that an envelope will come through the post tomorrow!!

Original post by <*(((><
I have an interview too for ChemEng via NatSci that came through the post today.

Mega Congratulations - what date is the interview for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending