The Student Room Group

Living comfortably/healthy for under £15 a week

Currently only budgeting £15 a week (buying food from Tesco) I thought i'd share my weekly meal plan for anyone who is struggling to live healthily/comfortably on a low budget.

Shopping List:
Tesco Bread X 2 - 94p
Tesco Bananas - 5x12.2p - 61.2p
Tesco Onions - 2x15.8p - 31.6p
Tesco Round Lettuce - 50p
Tesco Royal Loose New Potatoes - 5x17.9p - 89.4p
Tesco 4 Pints Milk - £1
Medium Welsh Cheddar 150g - £1.50
Tesco Wafer Thin Ham 364g - £1.50
Tesco Value 8 Pork Sausages - 66p
Tesco Value Chips 1.5kg - 82p (CHIPS USED OVER 3 WEEKS) - 27p
Tesco Value Frozen Mince 950g - £3 (USED OVER 2 WEEKS) - £1.50
Tesco Chicken & Mushroom Pie - 66p
Tesco Steak & Kidney Pie - 66p
Tesco Value Tinned Peas X 4 - 80p
Tesco Value Pasta Sauce - 39p
Tesco Value Baked Beans - 24p
Tesco Value Red Kidney Beans - 21p
Tesco Value Tomato Soup - 24p
Tesco Value Gravy Granules - 20p

Total Cost - £13.09 (Excluding cost of butter/lard, rice and pasta but theyre extremely cheap).

Breakfast is the same every day - 3 Pieces of Toast with butter(lasts for ages)

Lunch is also the same - Ham Sandwich with 2 Pieces of bread and added lettuce and onion + banana

Dinner Numbers 1&2 (Have twice in the week) -
Sausage, Mash & Peas - 4 Sausages, 300g of potato & a tin of peas.

Dinner Numbers 3&4 -
Chilli Con Carne (without the chilli) - 150g of Mince, with a third of a jar of pasta sauce, half a tin of Red Kidney Beans served with 80g (weight when uncooked) rice.
[Note-Price of rice is not included as it's so cheap its pretty much negligible & bought in bulk.]

Dinner Number 5 -
Pasta Bolognaise - 150g of Mince, and a third of a jar of pasta sauce served with 100g (weight when uncooked) of pasta.

Dinner Numbers 6 & 7 -
Pie, 125g of Chips served with peas.

Snacks -
Toast - As I should usually have quite a lot of spare bread.
Beans on toast - Usually buy one can per week.
Beans on toast with grated cheese.
Cheese on toast.
Chips - Bag is usually used over 4 weeks but if I get hungry I can make chips and use over 3 weeks instead, not much difference in price.
Cheesy Chips.
Milk - Not exactly a snack but has a lot of protein.
Tomato Soup (+Toast).

Scroll to see replies

I admire your work but value foods are not always healthy - they have lots of additives which are not so great!

Go down your local market, wait patiently for closing time and get in!

Markets will be cheaper than supermarkets they dont have the same overheads etc.

I find broccoli, massive lettuces other veggies for only 50p
Reply 2
This thread is titled "Living comfortably/healthy", however you've spent all your £15 on food.

Don't forget rent, utilities, travel expenses,

I'm struggling with £180 a week. For me, it costs weekly:

£100 for rent.
£20 for bus fares.
£30 for utilities (our gas and electric comes to about £100-150 a week between the five of us).
£5 on phone bills.
£25 on food (we have to eat out for as cheap as we can get, our kitchen isn't usable).

I eat on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, I don't.
Reply 3
By 'living comfortably/healthily' I meant purely the food aspect, rent and overheads are a different story

However, I have an account on MyFitnessPal which is a calorie and macronutrients calculator which I input my food for the day and from the meals that I have; I rarely exceed my recomended fat, sodium & salt daily limits, while maintaining my weight and hitting enough calories

i feel the way that I'm eating is much better than my flatmates, they usually spend similar amounts if not more & most of them live on beans on toast for dinner or ready meals
(edited 10 years ago)
If you're struggling a lot, you could ask your uni about the Access To Learning fund, you could get up to 3,500 for the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You see this is a problem for me, at Uni I would like to continue gym but not sure if I have the budget to be spending money on good food :/
Reply 6
Original post by XMaramena

That sucks that you can't have proper meals on certain days. Shouldn't your landlord fix the kitchen problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
This thread is titled "Living comfortably/healthy", however you've spent all your £15 on food.

£100 for rent.
£20 for bus fares.
£30 for utilities (our gas and electric comes to about £100-150 a week between the five of us).
£5 on phone bills.
£25 on food (we have to eat out for as cheap as we can get, our kitchen isn't usable).

£100 for rent is quite steep. Where do you live?

£20 a week for bus fares is a lot. Can't you buy a bus pass which would work out cheaper?

£80-£120 a month per person for bills? You're either being ripped off or you're massively wasting energy. We each spent less than £40 a month for bills in our house last year (works out at about £10 a week).

£5 on phone bills can be avoided. Use Facebook as much as you can to contact people.

As far as food, don't eat out. Make your own food and buy supermarket brands where the quality isn't too different from branded products.
Original post by Rosssmith13
Currently only budgeting £15 a week (buying food from Tesco) I thought i'd share my weekly meal plan for anyone who is struggling to live healthily/comfortably on a low budget.

Shopping List:
Tesco Bread X 2 - 94p
Tesco Bananas - 5x12.2p - 61.2p
Tesco Onions - 2x15.8p - 31.6p
Tesco Round Lettuce - 50p
Tesco Royal Loose New Potatoes - 5x17.9p - 89.4p
Tesco 4 Pints Milk - £1
Medium Welsh Cheddar 150g - £1.50
Tesco Wafer Thin Ham 364g - £1.50
Tesco Value 8 Pork Sausages - 66p
Tesco Value Chips 1.5kg - 82p (CHIPS USED OVER 3 WEEKS) - 27p
Tesco Value Frozen Mince 950g - £3 (USED OVER 2 WEEKS) - £1.50
Tesco Chicken & Mushroom Pie - 66p
Tesco Steak & Kidney Pie - 66p
Tesco Value Tinned Peas X 4 - 80p
Tesco Value Pasta Sauce - 39p
Tesco Value Baked Beans - 24p
Tesco Value Red Kidney Beans - 21p
Tesco Value Tomato Soup - 24p
Tesco Value Gravy Granules - 20p

Total Cost - £13.09 (Excluding cost of butter/lard, rice and pasta but theyre extremely cheap).

Breakfast is the same every day - 3 Pieces of Toast with butter(lasts for ages)

Lunch is also the same - Ham Sandwich with 2 Pieces of bread and added lettuce and onion + banana

Dinner Numbers 1&2 (Have twice in the week) -
Sausage, Mash & Peas - 4 Sausages, 300g of potato & a tin of peas.

Dinner Numbers 3&4 -
Chilli Con Carne (without the chilli) - 150g of Mince, with a third of a jar of pasta sauce, half a tin of Red Kidney Beans served with 80g (weight when uncooked) rice.
[Note-Price of rice is not included as it's so cheap its pretty much negligible & bought in bulk.]

Dinner Number 5 -
Pasta Bolognaise - 150g of Mince, and a third of a jar of pasta sauce served with 100g (weight when uncooked) of pasta.

Dinner Numbers 6 & 7 -
Pie, 125g of Chips served with peas.

Snacks -
Toast - As I should usually have quite a lot of spare bread.
Beans on toast - Usually buy one can per week.
Beans on toast with grated cheese.
Cheese on toast.
Chips - Bag is usually used over 4 weeks but if I get hungry I can make chips and use over 3 weeks instead, not much difference in price.
Cheesy Chips.
Milk - Not exactly a snack but has a lot of protein.
Tomato Soup (+Toast).

nice freaking list, I am compiling a list of my own, but I won't buy the tesco value stuff as it is unhealthy and really doesn't taste too well, but even though tesco value isn't the healthiest you have so much diversity in your food that it is fine.

I wish you could make another list with slightly bigger budget, maybe £20-£30

I will post mine once I have finished it. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Bassetts
£100 for rent is quite steep. Where do you live?

£20 a week for bus fares is a lot. Can't you buy a bus pass which would work out cheaper?

£80-£120 a month per person for bills? You're either being ripped off or you're massively wasting energy. We each spent less than £40 a month for bills in our house last year (works out at about £10 a week).

£5 on phone bills can be avoided. Use Facebook as much as you can to contact people.

As far as food, don't eat out. Make your own food and buy supermarket brands where the quality isn't too different from branded products.

Oxford. We're paying £2000 a month for our 5 bed because Oxford Brookes oversubscribed their halls and bought out all the student properties in the city, leaving nothing for the rest of us and so the landlords are charging extortionate rates for crappy houses.

We have to eat out, we can't use the kitchen or have any food in the house.

The house is energy performance rated G, There's no double glazing, the main radiator for the house is right next to the thin front door and the boiler is an old rusty piece of crap that takes roughly two hours to heat up the water and radiators and the landlord keeps us on pay-as-you-go utilities so if we don't keep putting money in, everything runs out and shuts off.
Oxford. We're paying £2000 a month for our 5 bed because Oxford Brookes oversubscribed their halls and bought out all the student properties in the city, leaving nothing for the rest of us and so the landlords are charging extortionate rates for crappy houses.

We have to eat out, we can't use the kitchen or have any food in the house.

The house is energy performance rated G, There's no double glazing, the main radiator for the house is right next to the thin front door and the boiler is an old rusty piece of crap that takes roughly two hours to heat up the water and radiators and the landlord keeps us on pay-as-you-go utilities so if we don't keep putting money in, everything runs out and shuts off.

how comes? id be challenging that
Original post by jelly1000
how comes? id be challenging that

Because the kitchen is infested with cockroaches - in the cooker (turns out cockroaches don't burn), the fridge, the freezer (turns out cockroaches don't freeze either), in the kettle, the sink and they keep coming out of nowhere. We have to seal off the door with chemicals each night so they don't get into our rooms, but they still come up into the other guys' rooms. My room is the only one that hasn't had roaches in it, probably because I have an extra layer of chemicals soaked into kitchen paper that I stuff into the cracks in the door frame each night.
Because the kitchen is infested with cockroaches - in the cooker (turns out cockroaches don't burn), the fridge, the freezer (turns out cockroaches don't freeze either), in the kettle, the sink and they keep coming out of nowhere. We have to seal off the door with chemicals each night so they don't get into our rooms, but they still come up into the other guys' rooms. My room is the only one that hasn't had roaches in it, probably because I have an extra layer of chemicals soaked into kitchen paper that I stuff into the cracks in the door frame each night.

in that case id definitley be onto your landlord every day until they do something and the council as well as i believe they can take action if the place is infested like that
Er, it's not really that healthy as you don't seem to eat any fruit apart from bananas or many leafy vegetables??
Original post by jelly1000
in that case id definitley be onto your landlord every day until they do something and the council as well as i believe they can take action if the place is infested like that

We spoke to the council and they said "Sorry, but if you're not going to die tomorrow, we don't class it as a risk."

I couldn't believe it when I heard it either.
Reply 15
In October my dad brought me £100 of food, but it's annoying how much I still have to buy. He brought me fresh stuff such as meat and veg but that's all gone now. I've still got plenty of stuff like rice, pasta, noodles, chips, as well as basic stuff such as stock cubes, flour, soups, baked beans and some bread but nothing to have with them. Currently the only protein I have is tinned tuna ! On my fridge shelf I have; butter, chilli sauce, salad cream, plus we share milk. In the freezer I have: oven chips, frozen peas, Chinese/indian party pack food. I think I can ready-steady-cook it with what I have for another couple of days then I really do need to go shopping.
Reply 16

£100 for rent.
£20 for bus fares.
£5 on phone bills.

Complain to your landlord about the kitchen... That's ridiculous that you don't eat on tuesday, thursday and saturday...
Reply 17

How are your utilities £30 a week !?!?! Mine are about £5, although having the heating on may take it closer to £10.... we put £5 on electricity each roughly every 16 days. Gas is £1-2 each a week (without heating, probably more like £4-5 each a week with heating). And water is unmetered and works out at £1-2 each a week.

).
To be honest, your diet isn't that healthy. You're getting maybe 2 portions of fruit/veg a day. And those Tesco value sausages and pies are full of rubbish. Plus you seem to eat a lot of carbs, which is only good if you do a tonne of exercise.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18

i feel the way that I'm eating is much better than my flatmates, they usually spend similar amounts if not more & most of them live on beans on toast for dinner or ready meals

You're basically living off beans on toast and ready meals though. Just slightly healthier versions in some cases.

£100 for rent.
£20 for bus fares.
£5 on phone bills.

Try giffgaff, £12 a month for unlimited texts and data and 250 minutes

(unless you are tied to a contract, in which case I sympathise)

Latest

Trending

Trending