The Student Room Group

realistic

I got ABCC at AS, and im applying to AAB/ABB universities, I dropped one of the C subects and am retaking the other, is it realistic to expect an offer?
The C i dropped was 1 UMS from a B
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I think it is realistic to expect an offer. Considering you did extremely well on your AS levels and redoing the C, you will be able to apply for top universities.

Just make sure to apply for a range of different grade universities. For example, perhaps the majority being ABB, a few AABs, and some BBBs.

That way, you will have a lot of options open for you.

Good luck and take care! :smile:
Original post by hatsuko
I got ABCC at AS, and im applying to AAB/ABB universities, I dropped one of the C subects and am retaking the other, is it realistic to expect an offer?
The C i dropped was 1 UMS from a B

It depends on your estimated grades. Make sure you have a range. Usual advice is something like 1 or 2 above your predictions, 3 at them and 1 or 2 below them.
Very realistic, I got AAB and applying to AAA's. Especially now you're re-doing you have more than a good chance of getting the grades.
Reply 4
Im predicted A*BC :/ but I think I can make the C a B
Original post by hatsuko
Im predicted A*BC :/ but I think I can make the C a B

That's a difficult combo. You may think you can make the C a B, and you could well be right - none of us here can know that - but your teachers are telling the universities that you are going to get a C. Make sure you have some lower grade offers in your choices. Technically, you should be looking at BBC for safety. If you are confident you can do better, you may be well advised to consider a gap year and applying with your grades in hand.
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That's a difficult combo. You may think you can make the C a B, and you could well be right - none of us here can know that - but your teachers are telling the universities that you are going to get a C. Make sure you have some lower grade offers in your choices. Technically, you should be looking at BBC for safety. If you are confident you can do better, you may be well advised to consider a gap year and applying with your grades in hand.

The C is in maths, which im resitting. Im pretty confident I can get an A in AS and hopefully a B in A2. The A* prediction is chemistry, and im applying for biochemistry, so its the main aspect of the course
Original post by hatsuko
The C is in maths, which im resitting. Im pretty confident I can get an A in AS and hopefully a B in A2. The A* prediction is chemistry, and im applying for biochemistry, so its the main aspect of the course

Well, you may be lucky. My advice remains the same. You might try calling the universities and asking them how they would view your application before committing yourself. As I say, A*BC is a really difficult combination. There is no limit other than physical ones on how many ABB candidates universities can take, but you don't fall into that bracket. Unless you are applying to universities which make their offers in points rather than grades, there is no averaging out process which will make you fall into that category.
Reply 8
My brother got ABCC at AS and got an offer for AAB.
Reply 9
Well, you may be lucky. My advice remains the same. You might try calling the universities and asking them how they would view your application before committing yourself. As I say, A*BC is a really difficult combination. There is no limit other than physical ones on how many ABB candidates universities can take, but you don't fall into that bracket. Unless you are applying to universities which make their offers in points rather than grades, there is no averaging out process which will make you fall into that category.

I actually found out today that im predicted A*AA when I looked at my references :/
Original post by hatsuko
I actually found out today that im predicted A*AA when I looked at my references :/

Well, that makes it a lot easier, although that's quite a leap from your AS grades.
Reply 11
Well, that makes it a lot easier, although that's quite a leap from your AS grades.

thats what I thought... its probably cause my A2 maths teacher knows im resitting AS
Original post by hatsuko
thats what I thought... its probably cause my A2 maths teacher knows im resitting AS

Well, assuming you've filled in the form correctly, the universities will know that as well.

Quick Reply

Latest