The Student Room Group

Skimmed or semi-skimmed

They both have the same protein content but I'm just wondering what's best to drink if I'm trying to get a lot of protein in my diet but not a lot of fats or sat-fats. If I was to drink a pint of either each day which should I choose? I'm wondering this because i can get 15 odd grams of protein for only spending 40p in Morrisons haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JimmyGatz
They both have the same protein content but I'm just wondering what's best to drink if I'm trying to get a lot of protein in my diet but not a lot of fats or sat-fats. If I was to drink a pint of either each day which should I choose? I'm wondering this because i can get 15 odd grams of protein for only spending 40p in Morrisons haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Skimmed has the least fat content - although (this may just be me), if I have skimmed my taste buds want to kill me. Also, you could get away with semi-skimmed.
Skimmed tastes like watered down cat piss.
Reply 3
Skimmed milk tastes like water but has less fat.
Reply 4
Semi-skimmed is generally healthier as it contains good fat. Skimmed is good if you're on an intense diet, but I don't really recommend it.
Both tastes the same to me. But my dad buys blue so I just drink that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't skimmed milk have more protein by volume?
Dont think ive ever drank skimmed. Semi all the way!
Reply 8
I like the taste of both equally. If I'm trying to minimise the amount of fat I put on from a high protein diet am I better drinking a pint of skimmed or semi?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Can't remember exactly but I think a pint of semi skimmed milk has something like 20% of your daily sat fats in it. Could be more actually! This worries me haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Kilroy8
Skimmed tastes like watered down cat piss.

Well said
Can't remember exactly but I think a pint of semi skimmed milk has something like 20% of your daily sat fats in it. Could be more actually! This worries me haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's 20% of your daily saturated fat in it. But I'm pretty sure skimmed milk has higher protein due to volume. If you're lightweight and do a lot of cardio exercise, you can use skim milk as your primary protein source and don't need to invest to whey protein powder like some of the heavier, less active bidybuilders do.
Reply 12
I like the taste of both equally. If I'm trying to minimise the amount of fat I put on from a high protein diet am I better drinking a pint of skimmed or semi?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you like them both I would recommend skimmed
Reply 13
Original post by Truecanadian
I don't think there's 20% of your daily saturated fat in it. But I'm pretty sure skimmed milk has higher protein due to volume. If you're lightweight and do a lot of cardio exercise, you can use skim milk as your primary protein source and don't need to invest to whey protein powder like some of the heavier, less active bidybuilders do.

I'm not really a lightweight and I do next to no cardio haha. Not fat either. Go to the gym 3 times a week and do weights. I asked my mum about buying protein powder before and she wasn't having it (waste of money bla bla) so I'm trying to get a decent amount of protein from milk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I'm not really a lightweight and I do next to no cardio haha. Not fat either. Go to the gym 3 times a week and do weights. I asked my mum about buying protein powder before and she wasn't having it (waste of money bla bla) so I'm trying to get a decent amount of protein from milk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely it's going to make more sense to get protein from meat and veg rather than milk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah protein from milk is the next best protein next to whey. Tuna and eggs are good too, but if use those as your primary protein source you'll probably consume too many calories, too much fat, and too much mercury lol
Reply 16
Skimmed milk? You mean that white water they sell?
Reply 17
Original post by musketeer
Surely it's going to make more sense to get protein from meat and veg rather than milk?

Well I'm going to get it from both haha! But I live with my parents so they make dinner and maybe on a Monday night I'll have a bowl of pasta with a tomato sauce which has little protein, so milks a good option!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Well I'm going to get it from both haha! But I live with my parents so they make dinner and maybe on a Monday night I'll have a bowl of pasta with a tomato sauce which has little protein, so milks a good option!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good lord. I give up the the face of such stupidity.
Reply 19
Original post by musketeer
Good lord. I give up the the face of such stupidity.

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest