The Student Room Group

4 years of Alevels??

I have done AS twice before. First year I didn't get the grades I wanted I got BCDU and I didn't like two of the subjests.. Second year I started AS again but I left half way through the year and got a job. Now I have finally made my decisions in life and I want to study Alevels and I am very determined to get high grades and my predicted grades from college are all BBBB. Will I still be able to apply to uni eventhough I have taken 4years to do my alevels???? (I know most people only take 3 years at max) help please?? will unis accept me if I get all 4B's at AS level???

Scroll to see replies

I dont see why you can't apply to Uni :dontknow:
Reply 2
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I dont see why you can't apply to Uni :dontknow:

Do unis usually ask how many years you took to do Alevels ? Am I just okay to say I am a RESIT student??
Original post by Bigbang13
Do unis usually ask how many years you took to do Alevels ? Am I just okay to say I am a RESIT student??

I'm not sure if you have to specifically say it, but I know people who spent 3 years doing A levels and had no problem applying and getting into Uni. Also, one of my brother's friends is completing his 4th year in A levels and he's applying to Unis this year.
Reply 4
Thank you very much..Just calms me down a bit because I was worried cause all the work I am putting in this year will be a waste if I don't get to uni. I am 18 now so Uni hopefully when I am 20.. Do you think 20 is too old for uni?
Thank you very much..Just calms me down a bit because I was worried cause all the work I am putting in this year will be a waste if I don't get to uni. I am 18 now so Uni hopefully when I am 20.. Do you think 20 is too old for uni?

Not old at all. Most people are 18/19 so the difference is negligible. Have in mind that there'll also be people who did gap years and whatnot and'll be in their early 20s.
Reply 6
Uni's are probably quite likely to still accept you, don't think they will question it.
You can addd what you got your AS' in as that is extra UCAS points still even though some aren't as good as you hope!
Good luck, a lot of people go back in life to do uni later on, whatever suits you!

I started my AS levels in September 2000. I began studying AS French, AS Spanish, AS Law and AS History.

Half way through the year I realised I hated Law and History so I dropped them, so I ended up with just grades in AS French, and AS Spanish.

then September 2001-summer 2002 I did A2 French, A2 Spanish, and I took up AS Classics.

I then stayed on a third year from Sept 2002 till summer 2003 and re-took A2 French (because I wanted a better grade), did A2 Classics, and took up GCSE Italian.

So I ended up with A levels in French, Spanish, and Classics.

And then I worked full time in a commercial estate agents for a year, from summer 2003 till summer 2004.

And then I started uni in September 2004. I was 20. I turned 21 in December 2004.

So I, too, was 20 when I started uni, and I did A levels for 3 years. I had no problems whatsoever when it came to applying to uni or getting in.
Reply 8
Original post by keirajodi
Uni's are probably quite likely to still accept you, don't think they will question it.
You can addd what you got your AS' in as that is extra UCAS points still even though some aren't as good as you hope!
Good luck, a lot of people go back in life to do uni later on, whatever suits you!

Thank you for the advice. I just didn't want Unis thinking I have been wasting time for 2years in AS. But now I have started to knuckle down and made up my mind so hopefully I will Get all B's
Reply 9
will unis accept me if I get all 4B's at AS level???

Are you applying to get in after the first year of studying a new set of AS's ? Or did you mean you have already achieved grades at AS and 4B's are your predicted grades for your whole A level? Sorry I didn't understand. I am probably the only one who doesn't. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Acrostics
Are you applying to get in after the first year of studying a new set of AS's ? Or did you mean you have already achieved grades at AS and 4B's are your predicted grades for your whole A level? Sorry I didn't understand. I am probably the only one who doesn't. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I AM 18 now. I did AS first time I got BCDU.. I resat the year but I left half way through cos I just wanted to earn money and too much money side tracked my education.. Now I have finally decided what I wanted to do I am at college doing My AS again Bio,Chem, Geology and E.S and my predicted grades for summer is 4B's.
Reply 11
Original post by keirajodi

Do you think I have any chance if I achieved my predicted grades of B's.??
Reply 12
Do you think I have any chance if I achieved my predicted grades of B's.??

Oh okay. All you have done is repeated yourself but somehow I understand what your are saying now. So what would you like to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh okay. All you have done is repeated yourself but somehow I understand what your are saying now. So what would you like to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biochemistry or Biomedical Science ..
Reply 14
Biochemistry or Biomedical Science ..

Do they have to know you have studied the same subjects for 4 years? I know what it will not be as significant if you have extensively utilised those years with work experience and becoming as involved with experience with research and taking time for relevant lecturing opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Do they have to know you have studied the same subjects for 4 years? I know what it will not be as significant if you have extensively utilised those years with work experience and becoming as involved with experience with research and taking time for relevant lecturing opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea what you just said mate. :/ Plus I changed Alevels.
The only unis I know for a fact which care about retakes are THE BIG 3, Oxford, Cambridge and London School Of Economics.

I don't think anyone else really cares about retakes really?
I have done AS twice before. First year I didn't get the grades I wanted I got BCDU and I didn't like two of the subjests.. Second year I started AS again but I left half way through the year and got a job. Now I have finally made my decisions in life and I want to study Alevels and I am very determined to get high grades and my predicted grades from college are all BBBB. Will I still be able to apply to uni eventhough I have taken 4years to do my alevels???? (I know most people only take 3 years at max) help please?? will unis accept me if I get all 4B's at AS level???

Some universities will reject A levels that are completed over a duration greater than 2 years, I know Bath does, for example.

Chances are that that's a restriction only held by the upper cohort of universities though, and probably not all of them either
Reply 18
No idea what you just said mate. :/ Plus I changed Alevels.

Haha. Sorry. In simple terms did you use your time wisely. In that time have you just studied Alevels or organised and gone on work experience as well. It would put you at an advantage even if you have been studying Alevels for 4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some will see it as a problem, but the majority won't and your best bet is to phone up and ask any places you are interested in what their views are, then you will be able to make a properly targeted application.

Quick Reply

Latest