The Student Room Group

What’s one of the scariest things you’ve ever done?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Alpha brah
U mad bro?

Spoiler

of course, who hasn't?

Spoiler

My first skydive, felt surreal, like I was watching myself do it rather than actually doing it. It wasn't a tandem so even though I had two instructors with me I was on my own so It was all the more terrifying. Insane though :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by summer26
of course, who hasn't?

Spoiler

[video="youtube;8l40igQlAgM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l40igQlAgM[/video]
Walked through the alleyway near my house at 3 in the morning, alone.

That alley is ****ing scary. My heart was in my mouth :cry2:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Incredible, what grade would you put the most difficult parts of that hike?

Not difficult in the climbing sense. I've high fell walked for years including Broad Stand on Scafell (grade 3S) and Tryfan (Snowdonia) where Helvellyn is classed as grade 1.

It's not the physical effort needed but a cool head for heights and some balance because it is so easy to make a fatal mistake were you have to walk across 3" wide rusting iron girders with only the sheer cliff face and a thin rope to hold onto. Other sections have no rope and require a leap. Sort of like Adam and Eve on Tryfan.

Another scary bit is negotiating the tunnels when approaching the gorge from El Chorro. They are long and dark and you have to lay flat against the side wall to let the main line trains pass. You have to time your crossings of the bridges because there is no such luxury once you are on them. If a train comes along there is nowhere to go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Signed on for Jobseekers Allowance. Nothing scarier than dealing with their staff.
Reply 26
Original post by uberteknik
No! I did it long before it was posted up on youtube and became infamous.

I found it while reading an old Let's Go book (1992 I think) that was left on a shelf at the villa in Spain I stayed in.

The book did not say anything about how dangerous it was, so I turned up in trainers and shorts and just a small back pack with some water looking for an adventure.

The video does not show a really scary bit (just after the guy crosses the large water pipe which looks like a bridge) you have to climb down about 6 or 7 feet from the pipe onto the walkway and there are no steps and no handrails and it was blowing 30mph+ erratic gusts of wind at that height.

It's like 300 ft up and several people have died on it.

I think since the accidents, the Spanish authorities have closed both ends access to the walkway and are in the process of rebuilding it.

No harness...you're crazy!!! Why did you go through with it? Must've been an amazing.
Was working in a local health centre, I thought I was alone. I heard no one enter the building as I was listening to music. A doctor had popped in and left some time later, activating the security system with me in some other part of the building.

Obviously, as soon as he left, the motion detectors clocked me and the whole alarm system went off like an orchestra of squealing cats. I still didn't hear anything. The system thought there was a genuine intruder and so after the alarm hadn't been switched off after a minute or 2, an external alarm sounds (sounds like a school fire bell except 10x louder and a notification is sent to the local police establishment). Now you may think this is spicing up to quite a dramatic and embarrassing ending

Spoiler

I genuinely panic when I hear alarms. When you hear an alarm, only bad things are happening: you're on fire/being robbed/getting raped. I hate them.

Anyway, I hadn't yet noticed the alarms had been triggered, but as the song I was currently listening to began to fade, I made out the sound of the external alarm. I thought the local bank (just a few yards away) was being robbed. I looked outside and saw nothing.

Then it hit me.

I **** myself (not in the literal sense) and sprinted to the alarm code input device and disabled the alarm. It made me worry for quite a while and I wasn't sure of exactly what to do. I thought perhaps the police would show up and wonder what a 19 year old was doing in a health centre (which holds a lot of drugs) alone around midnight. I had to sit there and calm myself down for an hour or so and hope no one showed up, which luckily, they didn't.

Damn I hate alarms.
Not difficult in the climbing sense. I've high fell walked for years including Broad Stand on Scafell (grade 3S) and Tryfan (Snowdonia) where Helvellyn is classed as grade 1.

It's not the physical effort needed but a cool head for heights and some balance because it is so easy to make a fatal mistake were you have to walk across 3" wide rusting iron girders with only the sheer cliff face and a thin rope to hold onto. Other sections have no rope and require a leap. Sort of like Adam and Eve on Tryfan.

Another scary bit is negotiating the tunnels when approaching the gorge from El Chorro. They are long and dark and you have to lay flat against the side wall to let the main line trains pass. You have to time your crossings of the bridges because there is no such luxury once you are on them. If a train comes along there is nowhere to go.

Sounds fantastic, I'll definitely be visiting it when I can! Ah, I've done Tryfan, damn, grade 3S, impressive, actually I've met a few guys who have done a 'grade 6' which apparently means it's unimpeachable, but they did it anyway :p: If you've done 3S you may be better equipped for that walk/scramble than me.
as a child it was performing on stage for the first time, a solo as well, but now I can look back and laugh :smile:
married someone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learn about Freud. I'm kidding, don't wet yourself.

Kicked a "very bad man" in the balls for my friend. He works in the sex industry and he was taking advantage of her so I had to step in and save her ass. This is all very sugar coated so if anyone wants the gory details, feel free to PM me. I smashed his phone and netbook (she says that he calls them his "babies") and we slashed the tyres on his car which was an Audi A7 or something 7, I dunno, I've never paid attention to cars but I know this one was a gorgeous expensive Audi something 7.

It was absolutely terrifying. The only life I've ever had to save in the past was my own so because I had my friend to be responsible for, this was just something so new. The funny thing is the man didn't scare me, he put me through **** (long story, like I said, I'll pm anyone who wants to know because it's a bit much for public) but throughout everything, my only focus was on getting my friend out alive.
Reply 32
Got trapped in marshy land at a particularly dangerous estuary which was separated by loads channels that quickly filled up as the tide came up. Me and my friend had to jump a lot of channels to make it out, was a rather stupid thing to do in all honesty. Also use to go Urban exploring a lot. It was really creepy at night time in the abandoned places, and site security would sometimes catch us and try chase us off. Ohh, and my friend fell asleep for a second on the motorway the absolute idiot.

Crazy coincidence, but Warwicks climbing club is headed to El Chorro this year! The walk could be a very interesting rest day :p:
HIV test. Didn't tell anyone and went on my own. Thank God it came up negative.
Reply 35
Did a leap of faith from 2 meters and a half gate on a snowy day, plus to add to this the ground was covered with soft snow which overlay another hard layer of ice. Did have an audience even though this was in a local park, I guess they all knew my stupidity would break my leg. Some even sighed when it didn't happen, too bad no YouTube clip for you:colone:.

(It was 2 meters, not 2 and a half foot for heavens editing errors -.-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Go into the women's lavatory to get a quick pee. :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Faced The Elite Four
Rode down a steep hill on my bicycle with friends at night (and the road was busy with cars).

Little did I know that my front and rear brake wasn't working properly, so I lost complete braking ability. I could swear I was doing just more than 20mph so I had to make the decision of taking my rear off the saddle and had to use my trainers to make contact with the road to slow down. Was ****ing scary man.

Then again though, that was on my old bike, where the brake callipers were fragile, so I think I must have gone over a heavy bump before the downhill road section without realising the brakes wouldn't function properly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Graduating. I have absolutely NO idea how I managed to work myself up into such a state, but somehow I managed to convince myself I'd fall flat on my face walking across the platform, and the nerves kind of ruined the whole day for me.

At my uni there was an event on campus and graduation at the cathedral - two groups, one did part of it in the morning and the other bit in the afternoon, and the other group did it the other way round. Unfortunately our cathedral was in the afternoon so I didn't enjoy the photos, chatting, drinks, buffet etc in the morning. If only it had been the other way round and I would have had a wonderful time!

(I do sometimes work myself up about random things, it sounds stupid now).

Quick Reply

Latest