The Student Room Group

Help! How badly have I limited myself?!

I am currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Economics and Business. At the time of choosing my a levels, I didn't realise just how soft business was and how looked down upon it is. I didn't think taking one soft subject would be too bad, as I planned to drop it at AS, and business looked interesting, so I took it. Now I'm hammering myself that I didn't take maths or something like history instead. Honest opinions guys, how badly have I limited my options for post sixth form? I am quite interested in an chemistry degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Some universities require maths for chemistry.
Reply 2
Hmmm I could apply to the ones that don't, I'll doubt I'll make the top grades for the ones that require it anyway :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie77
Hmmm I could apply to the ones that don't, I'll doubt I'll make the top grades for the ones that require it anyway :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath offers at
Typical Offer: AAB

In some circumstances we will make a reduced offer of ABB and we welcome applications from candidates with predicted grades of ABB or above.

Essential:

minimum of grade B in A2 Chemistry
in addition to A2 Chemistry, at least one other A2 level subject should be Maths, Physics or Biology

As you got biology, you will probably be fine for most universities. I doubt too many universities REQUIRE maths.

To sum up, as long as you take Biology for A2 and get good grades between Chemistry & Biology, your not limited that much.
(edited 10 years ago)
You seem alright with chemistry and physics.
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Bath offers at
Typical Offer: AAB

In some circumstances we will make a reduced offer of ABB and we welcome applications from candidates with predicted grades of ABB or above.

Essential:

minimum of grade B in A2 Chemistry
in addition to A2 Chemistry, at least one other A2 level subject should be Maths, Physics or Biology

As you got biology, you will probably be fine for most universities. I doubt too many universities REQUIRE maths.

To sum up, as long as you take Biology for A2 and get good grades between Chemistry & Biology, your not limited that much.

So do you think changing to maths now would not be worth it? Or picking it up next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jamie77
So do you think changing to maths now would not be worth it? Or picking it up next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, i doubt your college/sixth lets you swap so late? Also theres no point i think personally doing an extra As as it will contribute little.

Anyways, if Bath doesnt mind you not having maths, i doubt many will REQUIRE maths.
Reply 7
Original post by Jkizer
To be honest, i doubt your college/sixth lets you swap so late? Also theres no point i think personally doing an extra As as it will contribute little.

Anyways, if Bath doesnt mind you not having maths, i doubt many will REQUIRE maths.

Your most probably right, just really upset I didn't take it... It's kinda like a step in the wrong direction. But I'm not really sure how much the AS maths concepts will help with the actual content of the chemistry degree itself tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Jamie77
Your most probably right, just really upset I didn't take it... It's kinda like a step in the wrong direction. But I'm not really sure how much the AS maths concepts will help with the actual content of the chemistry degree itself tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its more of the skillz you learnt. Logical thinking & the other 'stuff'

Just make sure you look carefully at the entry requirements and ensure that they specify that chemistry is an acceptable subject.
I see that universities like Southampton may increase the offer though: E.g. for your case
AAB for students taking Chemistry with at least one other science subject or Mathematics

Just do your best in your AS levels and try aim for A's & B's across your set :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer
Its more of the skillz you learnt. Logical thinking & the other 'stuff'

Just make sure you look carefully at the entry requirements and ensure that they specify that chemistry is an acceptable subject.
I see that universities like Southampton may increase the offer though: E.g. for your case
AAB for students taking Chemistry with at least one other science subject or Mathematics

Just do your best in your AS levels and try aim for A's & B's across your set :smile:

Cheers man I was getting so unhappy I was thinking I'd ruined my future and stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest