The Student Room Group

Can I do another degree

Hi,

I have no GCSE's or A-Levels, but I have a first class law degree from the OU. I want to study another degree at undergrad level, but at a Top 5 university. Would any top university overlook the fact that I don't have GCSE's or A-Levels because I have a first class law degree? and how do I go about applying because of my lack of qualifications?

Thanks
Email admissions at the universities at which you want to study would be the best way to get an answer. However I don't see why it would be a problem as you have already proven yourself at undergraduate level and have a higher qualification than A levels. They may still insist on certain A level or comparable qualifications in certain subjects depending on what degree you wanted to do e.g. certain sciences for science degrees.

Well done on getting a first by the way. Those I know who have taken the OU route have said that getting high marks is a difficult thing to achieve.
Reply 2
Do beware that with a degree already under your belt, you won't be eligible for Student Finance.

I'd echo the congrats on an OU First. I have three friends doing OU degrees at the moment and not only are the grade thresholds higher than most "brick" universities, but the marking is extremely rigorous.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Do beware that with a degree already under your belt, you won't be eligible for Student Finance.

I'd echo the congrats on an OU First. I have three friends doing OU degrees at the moment and not only are the grade thresholds higher than most "brick" universities, but the marking is extremely rigorous.

Thank you for the reply

I've heard that fees are dramatically increasing, is this true? If so, I won't be able to afford it. But as of now, it should be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Quantex
Email admissions at the universities at which you want to study would be the best way to get an answer. However I don't see why it would be a problem as you have already proven yourself at undergraduate level and have a higher qualification than A levels. They may still insist on certain A level or comparable qualifications in certain subjects depending on what degree you wanted to do e.g. certain sciences for science degrees.

Well done on getting a first by the way. Those I know who have taken the OU route have said that getting high marks is a difficult thing to achieve.

I guess I'll have to do that then. Do you think I have a good chance of getting into a BA in Politics at a Top 5 uni? I'm not interesting in doing any A-Levels though...
Reply 5
Original post by Raised
Thank you for the reply

I've heard that fees are dramatically increasing, is this true? If so, I won't be able to afford it. But as of now, it should be fine.

Undergrad fees are currently capped at £9000 per year and many courses still don't charge that much.

There's rumbling about increasing - or even removing - the cap, but I think this is just a bit of political jockeying for position by the unis. Fees are such a political hot potato that I doubt the Lib Dems would allow them to be touched. I suspect the Tories will be reminding us about them at regular intervals up to the next election, as they're a stick to beat the Lib Dems with.

My gut feel is that *if* anything is going to happen, it wouldn't be until after the election. If you started uni by then, you should be under the current fee scheme throughout your course.
Original post by Raised
I guess I'll have to do that then. Do you think I have a good chance of getting into a BA in Politics at a Top 5 uni? I'm not interesting in doing any A-Levels though...

Undergrad fee's are £9000 max. However you won't be classed as an undergrad. You would be classed as an ELQ student and, as such, fee's could be higher than £9000 per year.
Reply 7
Original post by Knalchemist
Undergrad fee's are £9000 max. However you won't be classed as an undergrad. You would be classed as an ELQ student and, as such, fee's could be higher than £9000 per year.

This is true, however there are some nice universities out there that don't, such as University of Birmingham :smile: so if it would make a difference to where you apply, definitely check with the universities first!
ELQ fees are usually somewhere between £1-2k extra. I personally think this is rather unfair as second undergrad students already don't get a loan and the extra fee is large enough to make a difference to the student but not enough to make any difference to the university!

As for any fee rises, if you start next year you should be ok as changes aren't implemented that fast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending