The Student Room Group

Law at Chester, Bucks New, Birmingham City, Winchester, Gloucestershire

Hey there Law students,

My UCAS is completed and sent and my choices are Chester, Buckinghamshire New, Birmingham City, Winchester, Gloucestershire.
I've received offers from Bucks and Birmingham and now waiting for the others.
What do you guys think?
Anybody also applied for these university?
:colondollar:
Original post by thanhhang
Hey there Law students,

My UCAS is completed and sent and my choices are Chester, Buckinghamshire New, Birmingham City, Winchester, Gloucestershire.
What do you guys think?

I think your blue font is eye-catching! :lol:

What university do you have your hopes set on?
I don't think any of those universities has much of a reputation for law, except insofar as they have a bad reputation. What are your grades (predicted or otherwise)?
Original post by thanhhang
Hey there Law students,

What do you guys think?

I think you should read child care at Gloucestershire, music at Birmingham City, furniture making at Bucks New, nursing at Chester, history at Winchester and law at none of them.
Reply 4
those unis are really **** for law, but if i had to pick i'd go with birmingham
As you can see, we have been extremely negative, but this is a lot of money and your future. What are your predictied grades and do you have any contextual factors that might help an application.
Original post by Forum User
I don't think any of those universities has much of a reputation for law, except insofar as they have a bad reputation. What are your grades (predicted or otherwise)?

Nice. Very nice. Such a nice community.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
i've applied for law and bucks new too.. But don't reaally want to go there.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
Nice. Very nice. Such a nice community.

With respect, the OP has asked for opinions on her choices. Both Forum User and myself have asked for the information necessary to give constructive advice. There is no point in giving fluffy bunny rabbits opinions to someone who is about to spend the thick end of thirty grand on a degree which will add little or nothing to their employability.
Original post by nulli tertius
With respect, the OP has asked for opinions on her choices. Both Forum User and myself have asked for the information necessary to give constructive advice. There is no point in giving fluffy bunny rabbits opinions to someone who is about to spend the thick end of thirty grand on a degree which will add little or nothing to their employability.

Exactly. Like I said, nice. Very nice. Nice community.
Reply 10
Original post by nulli tertius

A couple of my friends are currently studying law at Chester and they've given positive feedbacks on the university plus its staff as well as the nice area.

And as to what will add 'little or nothing to their employability', Chester is currently no.48 on the league table for law (that is higher than Sheffield or Westminster which ask for AAA-AAB whereas Chester only ask for 280-300 points and that is including AS level points too). But putting aside the league table/(s) which change every year, nobody knows whether or not the institute you studied in will have a high employability rate as it depends on the course itself and how competitive its field is.
Original post by LRita
A couple of my friends are currently studying law at Chester and they've given positive feedbacks on the university plus its staff as well as the nice area.

And as to what will add 'little or nothing to their employability', Chester is currently no.48 on the league table for law (that is higher than Sheffield or Westminster which ask for AAA-AAB whereas Chester only ask for 280-300 points and that is including AS level points too). But putting aside the league table/(s) which change every year, nobody knows whether or not the institute you studied in will have a high employability rate as it depends on the course itself and how competitive its field is.

No offence to Chester at all, one of my best mates went there; but for the legal profession, I'm afraid there is a certain bias towards more 'highly ranked' universities. Indeed, alongside Chester, someone from Westminster and Sheffield would have trouble gaining employment in a London firm.

Of course, if the OP does not plan on going to work in the city and wants to remain regional or go into a high street practice, it would be different in my opinion.

As for employability rates, that's always a sticky issue, I agree with you there.
Original post by LRita

I agree with you that it is a nice area. I did my solicitors' finals many years ago at the College of Law at Chester. I also accept that their service levels to students may be perfectly satisfactory.

Original post by arrowhead
No offence to Chester at all, one of my best mates went there; but for the legal profession, I'm afraid there is a certain bias towards more 'highly ranked' universities. Indeed, alongside Chester, someone from Westminster and Sheffield would have trouble gaining employment in a London firm.

Of course, if the OP does not plan on going to work in the city and wants to remain regional or go into a high street practice, it would be different in my opinion.

As for employability rates, that's always a sticky issue, I agree with you there.

The problem here is that the answer I am afraid has to be anecdotal because the Law Society, although having this information chooses not to publish the first degree choices of trainee solicitors. One recruitment agency has published some data, concentrating on city firms. None of the official statistics on graduate jobs is of much use. Most studies look at the position 6 months after graduation, which is pointless for establishing who is on the way to qualifying as a solicitor. There is a longitudinal study which publishes either by subject or by university but not by both.

There are about 20,000 law graduates a year (even this is not a robust figure as the number of QLD graduates is not certain). In the year to October 2013 3,092 solicitors were admitted who had a qualifying law degree. Going out on a limb, I think you will find that there are probably fewer than 100 solicitors and trainee solicitors who are University of Chester graduates (the first graduates were in in 2008). In large measure that is from a review of LinkedIn where there doesn't seem to be geographical biases (although there age age biases) in membership.

I do want to tackle the idea that somehow High Street and regional firms are a walk in the park for people with weak academic backgrounds. To some extent there is less emphasis on academic performance because geographical factors and client handling abilities are more to the fore and the fact many firms recruit from a paralegal base means that they can form their own opinions of trainee candidates rather than look at a degree certificate.

Having said this, a firm with one or two trainee posts may well get 300-500 applications. At the moment my trainee is from a university which would regard itself as being top 5. Her predecessor was from a top 10 university (though perhaps not a top 10 law school). Provincial firms do not need to take the floor sweepings in this market. Most of these candidates watch ROF and TSR from the sidelines and are therefore invisible to the market because applications aren't a camaraderie when there are only a few places at stake. My firm has been named once on ROF (since wiped) and never on TSR.

The reality is that very few graduates of the University of Chester have become or will become solicitors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending