The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
It is very familiar to me, but I can't say how often it is done and which parts of the Mass it happens.

Thanks. :biggrin:
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Thanks. :biggrin:

I just searched for some Altar Serving guides that provide a brief explanation. The act is part of the opening prayer, although I think it only really an aesthetic act to add to the worship and only really takes place in bigger Churches where they have a number of Altar Servers at hand. I can always remember the Priest doing it at my Church in my old area, but when I moved to where I presently live, the Church was a lot smaller and don't ever remember the Priest doing it :holmes:

OPENING PRAYER
After the Penitential Rite and Gloria, the priest says, “Let us pray.” By this time the book bearer should have the Sacramentary in hand and takes it to the priest.
The server should stand to hold the book in such a way that the priest can both easily face the people and clearly see the text.
3. If the server is tall he should hold the Sacramentary to the side so that the priest can see the people as well as the book when he looks up.
After the priest reads the Opening Prayer, the book bearer, waits for him to close the Sacramentary. Once it is closed, the server puts the Sacramentary down and sits for the readings.
(edited 10 years ago)
I just searched for some Altar Serving guides that provide a brief explanation. The act is part of the opening prayer, although I think it only really an aesthetic act to add to the worship and only really takes place in bigger Churches where they have a number of Altar Servers at hand. I can always remember the Priest doing it at my Church in my old area, but when I moved to where I presently live, the Church was a lot smaller and don't ever remember the Priest doing it :holmes:

Awh thankyou! You didnt have to do that. :h:
Fellow Lourdes pilgrims 2013, do you guys miss those Carrefour nights?
What do you think of watching mass online?

Cool idea or not?

[video="youtube;eqwV_8QTCJg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqwV_8QTCJg[/video]

Not as good as the real thing but great if you can't make it to mass.

At six minutes he has a guy hold up a book which he reads from and holds his hands out. Is that normal? Like a rule?

Totally normal in my church, just depends on if there's any altar servers, that was one of my jobs when I first started out, normally the younger ones do that I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiz my confirmation saint's feast day :awesome:

Happy Feast of St Cecilia's day! :woo:
Reply 6046
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Happy patron feast day!

'Kay guys, super serious prayer request coming up...
It's our confirmation retreat this weekend. Will be the second time they've all been together as a group. Prayers wanted for the intentions of the young people, and that they will be open to what God wants to tell them this weekend. Also, for the volunteers leading the retreat, and for us cathechists, that we'll be able to get some sleep tomorrow night... (!)

Thanks guys :h:
Original post by Aula
Happy patron feast day!

It's our confirmation retreat this weekend. Will be the second time they've all been together as a group. Prayers wanted for the intentions of the young people, and that they will be open to what God wants to tell them this weekend. Also, for the volunteers leading the retreat, and for us cathechists, that we'll be able to get some sleep tomorrow night... (!)

Oh wow, you take them on a retreat?! I'm glad I've not had to do that! :eek3: Definitely praying for you, your fellow catechists and the volunteers and of course the young people themselves :yep:
Original post by Aula
Happy patron feast day!

Good luck!!! Hope all goes well, might be a good idea to do a little bargaining with St. Jude and St. Rita... :tongue:
Reply 6049
Oh wow, you take them on a retreat?! I'm glad I've not had to do that! :eek3: Definitely praying for you, your fellow catechists and the volunteers and of course the young people themselves :yep:

Aye, we head over to SPEC :yep:
Original post by kath_igidbashian
Good luck!!! Hope all goes well, might be a good idea to do a little bargaining with St. Jude and St. Rita... :tongue:

:giggle: I think you may be right...
Original post by Aula
Aye, we head over to SPEC :yep:

:yay: Have a fantabulous time! I pray that it is a time of real spiritual growth for the young people in your charge :yes:

Wait? People celebrate their confirmation Saint's feast day? >_< Damn! I just missed the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi last month :frown: Although I couldn't exactly ask people to get me present to celebrate the Feast of Saint Francis as it would be rather contradictory to his message and life's work :tongue:

Happy Saint Cecilia's day :smile:
Wait? People celebrate their confirmation Saint's feast day? >_< Damn! I just missed the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi last month :frown: Although I couldn't exactly ask people to get me present to celebrate the Feast of Saint Francis as it would be rather contradictory to his message and life's work :tongue:

Happy Saint Cecilia's day :smile:

Not so much in this country but in France they do :yes:
I like the idea of Mass online. It's great for people like me, who can't get to Mass easily :yes:

My grandmother when she became too infirm to go to her local Church on Sunday would watch the Sunday service on tv. Now that a Sunday service in the UK on tv has been replaced by a religious discussion programme or repeat of Corrie, mass on the internet would be something valuable for anyone in her position today. Communion is taken to anyone sick or housebound by a Eucharistic Minister.

I was reminded that the Year of Faith is ending today. A year given the resignation of Pope Benedict and the election of Pope Francis that will not be forgotten easily.
Not so much in this country but in France they do :yes:

I thought in France they celebrated their baptism Saint's feast day? :holmes:
I thought in France they celebrated their baptism Saint's feast day? :holmes:

Ah maybe that's what I was thinking of when I said France :colondollar:
Reply 6056
Has anybody here heard of this "Growing in Faith" thing? I had someone from the Church come to my house on behalf of the "Growing in Faith" project. Apparently they want everybody to pay £11 per week or something :holmes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anybody here heard of this "Growing in Faith" thing? I had someone from the Church come to my house on behalf of the "Growing in Faith" project. Apparently they want everybody to pay £11 per week or something :holmes:

Only vaguely, not actually sure what it's about... :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kath_igidbashian
Only vaguely, not actually sure what it's about... :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems to be about raising money for the Church, but I don't get how this entails "Growing in Faith". It sounds as it they are saying you can grow in faith if you donate money to us. Kind of sounds a bit too much like indulgences to me, whereby one can become more 'pious' through money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending