The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Rakas21
Never knew that (did know it's one of the most profitable).

I imagine that's down to it being almost exclusively private sector driven. In order to get about £600mn from the government that had to be met with planned private finance of about £10bn.

If current projections are correct then by 2030 we could have 10% global market share and 200,000 jobs supported.A great (and unknown) success.

I could well be wrong, one of those 'I think I remember hearing that on Radio 4' things hence I caveated it with as far as I understood.
Most MPs are already top lawyers bankers consultants etc before they even go into politics where they would be earning a whole lot more than £66K. If it was as low as £25K then they just wouldn't do the job. Besides, the humiliation they receive in the press is probably alone worth £66K. I wouldn't dream of being an MP.
Reply 82
Original post by Quady
As far as I understood it, the UK has the only profitable space industry.

IIRC, the Indian space industry is also profitable (I think). :smile:

As for MPs, I don't think their pay is too high really, it seems fair enough. I do however think they should work more (less holidays/longer hours) for it - they seem to like slacking off a bit.
Believe it or not there are hundreds of very decent and hard working MPs in the commons. They should be paid more, not less.
Reply 84
Original post by Rakas21
The first British person in space went up in 1991.

Aside from which sending people up is not hard in comparison to sending probes, satellites and telescopes and keeping them working so again i ask how their programme is more advanced,

I'm guessing that was as part of the US space program? Not too sure I'd agree with the bit in bold. After-all there were satellites and machines in space before humans.
Reply 85
Original post by Quady
As far as I understood it, the UK has the only profitable space industry.

That is because it is commercial and not innovative/research-driven like NASA, RFSA, ESA etc.
Reply 86
Original post by elohssa
I'm guessing that was as part of the US space program? Not too sure I'd agree with the bit in bold. After-all there were satellites and machines in space before humans.

The failure rate of probes, satellites and space telescopes is pretty high. Kepler was only designed to last 3 years. Time's a killer in space, getting things up there is relatively easy. We did it from Australia until the 70's and then the ESA since.

Russian. We were the third country to get a satellite up though in 1962 and sent a probe to Mars in 2003.

Point being that currently neither China or India are more advanced and the UK will actually increase its market share.

Original post by elohssa
That is because it is commercial and not innovative/research-driven like NASA, RFSA, ESA etc.

I'd say it's innovative looking at Skylon for example but yeah..
Reply 87
Original post by Rakas21
The failure rate of probes, satellites and space telescopes is pretty high. Kepler was only designed to last 3 years. Time's a killer in space, getting things up there is relatively easy. We did it from Australia until the 70's and then the ESA since.

Russian. We were the third country to get a satellite up though in 1962 and sent a probe to Mars in 2003.

Point being that currently neither China or India are more advanced and the UK will actually increase its market share.

I'd say it's innovative looking at Skylon for example but yeah..

1. 4th not third. Using NASA technology and jointly working with NASA (of course India and China use recycled technology as well).

2. Nothing has come of Skylon as of yet. From what I've read it's looking to simply make improvements on current spaceships, rather than re-inventing them (so to speak).

Bottom line is that if there was a betting match on who will get a man on mars first (for example) I'm sure China and India will be much higher then UK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by elohssa
China has actually sent people to space.

Hmmm....the name Helen Sharman really should be imprinted on the minds of people in this country, but it isn't.

Project Juno wasn't part of the American space programme.
Reply 89
Original post by River85
Hmmm....the name Helen Sharman really should be imprinted on the minds of people in this country, but it isn't.

Project Juno wasn't part of the American space programme.

Yea it was part of the Soviet space programme. As you can see China did send a man to space:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_space_travel_by_nationality
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by elohssa
Yea it was part of the Soviet space programme.

Not really. It was a part of a privately funded British Space programme in association with the Soviets.

The cost was meant to be fully covered by British companies but there was a shortfall. It's believed it was partly subsidised by the Soviets (ie. they made the shortfall).

As you can see China did send a man to space:]

I know.
Reply 91
Original post by elohssa
Yea it was part of the Soviet space programme. As you can see China did send a man to space:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_space_travel_by_nationality

Does it really matter if they are the ones to make the rocket? Our missions still occurred well before China and our space industry is far more developed and profitable. In terms of revenue the launch industry accounts for just 3% of the overall space sector and the UK has one of the 7 largest space industries in the world (4th-7th, not sure where between there) and will more importantly actually gain global market share.

Original post by elohssa
1. 4th not third. Using NASA technology and jointly working with NASA (of course India and China use recycled technology as well).

2. Nothing has come of Skylon as of yet. From what I've read it's looking to simply make improvements on current spaceships, rather than re-inventing them (so to speak).

Bottom line is that if there was a betting match on who will get a man on mars first (for example) I'm sure China and India will be much higher then UK.

The fact that it can take off normally and the engine design is pretty revolutionary and innovative. It's passed tests so far, the main prototype is now being built.

Private companies will get man there long before the state.
Reply 92
Original post by Rakas21

Private companies will get man there long before the state.

What incentive do private companies have in a Mars mission? Something like asteroid mining; yes, I'd expect that to be led by private companies. But not a Mars mission.
Reply 93
Original post by elohssa
What incentive do private companies have in a Mars mission? Something like asteroid mining; yes, I'd expect that to be led by private companies. But not a Mars mission.

Of the couple of plans i have heard one is simply a non-profit thing that thinks it can fly somebody there, around the planet and back again. The business wanting to actually land people believes that it can do it via advertising revenue. It thinks that since a billion people watched the Royal Wedding, similar numbers would watch man land and set foot on Mars.
Original post by kidomo
Believe it or not there are hundreds of very decent and hard working MPs in the commons. They should be paid more, not less.

whilst I agree some of them are doing a good job (regardless of whether I like that job and how they do it), I really don't think you can argue they should be paid more, they are already paid £65k a year (thrice the average wage) and expenses on top of that which includes the cost of a second home (most people can barely afford one home), that is a very generous salary for what is at the end of the day a job they should be doing out a sense of public duty rather than personal financial gain.
Reply 95
Original post by SciFiRory
whilst I agree some of them are doing a good job (regardless of whether I like that job and how they do it), I really don't think you can argue they should be paid more, they are already paid £65k a year (thrice the average wage) and expenses on top of that which includes the cost of a second home (most people can barely afford one home), that is a very generous salary for what is at the end of the day a job they should be doing out a sense of public duty rather than personal financial gain.

Its closer to twice the average wage for the UK.

Most people don't work four days a week several hundreds of miles from where they live/work the other other three days.

Could the same 'public duty' not be said of any public sector post?
Reply 96
Original post by Rational Thinker
http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/
From 1st April 2013 the average MP salary is £66,396 not including expenses. Why are these parasites on so much money, considering that far more intelligent and useful people, eg teachers, University lecturers and such are on so much less? I know many of us would happily be an MP for £25,000 or less, so why are MP's paid so much?

They are paid so much because they get to vote if they have a pay rise or not and they vote yes to more money. I think they are well over paid for what they do and many of them have 2/3/4 jobs on the side as well which makes them even more money. On top of that they can claim expenses and they do.
I work for UK Parliament, particularly with two MPs, and they certainly earn their money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
Its closer to twice the average wage for the UK.

Most people don't work four days a week several hundreds of miles from where they live/work the other other three days.

Could the same 'public duty' not be said of any public sector post?

the average wage is like £22k a year or something IIRC, so unless my maths is really off, £65k a year is nearly exactly thrice that.

I'm not saying they can't have some expenses and such, I mean travel and a hotel for those nights is reasonable enough, but a second home and such I can't agree to, there is a shortage of available housing as it is without MP's taking them when they can stay in a hotel or B&B like the rest of us would have to.

of course, and I would not support other posts in the public sector having overly generous salaries and such either, though I would point out that a lot of public sector jobs are actually paid quite poorly, nurses for instance and often on very low wages, as are social workers, just as an example, so I would use the money saved to boost wages for others in the public sector who aren't paid well :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by Ripper-Roo
If they were paid lower they'd be more likely to be open to bribes or corruption.

I'm not particularly outraged by their incomes, however I'm not impressed by the quality of them either.

I think if everyone had a membership and say in a party then people could change things and get a better representation for their local area additionally MP's could have finances open and be forced for tighter anti corruption methods.

Latest

Trending

Trending