The Student Room Group

I don't get it, why am I so dumb at maths?

I don't understand how people do it, I would like to do physics due to an interest yet I'm **** at maths, my GCSE in maths is diabolical. I'm doing engineering as well which requires maths! Every forum I sign up to, I get discouraged and made to feel like an idiot.

I want to follow a career in science yet maths and science go together, I feel like a spaz.

I was always so weirdo at school, I even had to have a brain scan and hearing tests because I day dreamed too much and apparently not responding.

Not only that, I have some intense rivalry with my cousin, and if I failed, he would know and laugh. His family has always succeeded whereas my family fails. My dad isn't intelligent and my mum is from some 3rd world country slum!

How do you all keep succeeding in life here people? I actually don't see life worth living if I'm going to work in some menial labour job like a press operator it isn't pretty! No, I'm not suicidal but logically, if my future is going to be stuck in a dead end job doing the same stupid **** over and over again? This is my worst fear, being a mong!

No matter what I do, two steps forward, one step back and then a **** load of bad news.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can relate to you, I had a similar position. My GCSE in Maths was C and B in Physics.
What I do is never give up, and work very hard to achieve my goals! It might be that you get frustrated with maths, but trust me once you get it its easy and then just practice it to master it!

If you don't understand something in maths do not leave it, because not only will it make you feel bad, but it will also catch up to you. Once you know any problem the book throws at you, you should treat yourself and feel good!

Look man, I am 22 years old I worked as a painter and I studied at the same time to do Mechanical engineering. Working as a painter had motivated me even more to study for 5-8 hours daily this summer.

Also, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself!
Reply 2
You're not necessarily bad at maths - maybe at rote calculation, but that's not the same thing. http://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/mnewman/LockhartsLament.pdf
Reply 3
I know some people like you, they try really hard in maths, practice and practice but it doesn't pay off. If you're not strong on the foundations of maths it's going to be an uphill struggle. I'm a bit confused though, this is the engineering forum and you want to do physics? Also where are you in education atm, in a degree or doing A-Levels? If you go to a decent sixth form, your teachers should be happy to see you, they don't charge too so you should make the most of them go and see them at least once a week outside of lessons (thats if you're doing A-Levels, I dont know if you are :P)
Some things can seem daunting, but as with most maths, practice, practice and practice!
you are not dumb. my mum always told me (because i was actually soooo bad at maths) try and find something else your good at because not everyone is absolutely amazing at maths. believe me i am soooooooooooo bad at maths i just don't understand any of it. and you said your parents were bad at math so that's probably why you aren't very good at it. that's why i'm bad at it my mum was really not good at maths but she was an amazing artist. so don't feel so down there's always going to be people in the world who are just amazing at everything. but why not try to find something you are good at there's got to be at least one

hope this helped p.s don't feel sad and down (maths doesn't run the world ) xxx
It is unfortunate that some people are less good at calculations and sums. Practice will no doubtless help.
Reply 7
Going around and acting as if not being good at maths is the worst thing EVER, is terrible. You're literally not helping yourself. Stop panicking about it and accept that maths isn't your strong point! I can guarantee that my maths is worse than yours...but I'm so much better at other subjects, and you will be too. Like what above said - maths doesn't run the world.
Reply 8
Original post by ttreb
maths doesn't run the world.

Sorry to break it to you but it kinda does.
Reply 9
My dad isn't intelligent and my mum is from some 3rd world country slum!

wow!you really seem to value your parents :congrats:
Reply 10
you got a brain scan cause you day dream a lot? wait whaaaaat?..
Reply 11
Original post by anatolia3

haha right?! Yeah this kid sure is headed somewhere..
Reply 12

Your name is ANATOLIA?? :eek: oh wow. My co just launched this "project" and it's code named "Anatolia"! Just a nice coincidence or something. I never expected it was named after a name...
Original post by Futility
Sorry to break it to you but it kinda does.

Oh snap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Exactly what I thought as well when I saw it! How has no one else commented on that yet?
You might have dyscalculia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by RedArrow
Your name is ANATOLIA?? :eek: oh wow. My co just launched this "project" and it's code named "Anatolia"! Just a nice coincidence or something. I never expected it was named after a name...

it's not an actual name, hehe.

from wikipedia:
Anatolia (from Greek Ἀνατολή, Anatolḗ "east" or "(sun)rise"), also known as Asia Minor (from Greek: Μικρὰ Ἀσία Mīkrá Asía ("small Asia"); in modern Turkish: Anadolu), Asian Turkey, Anatolian peninsula, Anatolian plateau, denotes the westernmost protrusion of Asia, which makes up the majority of the Republic of Turkey.[1]
Reply 17
Original post by wishful
haha right?! Yeah this kid sure is headed somewhere..

Original post by KingKumar
Exactly what I thought as well when I saw it! How has no one else commented on that yet?

the only thing I can think of, is that he is either frustrated with his situation :confused:, trolling or just being a bloody fool!
Stop disrupting lessons, work harder in school, don't answer back to teachers, do your homework, ask for help when stuck etc.
Original post by Willbean
I don't understand how people do it, I would like to do physics due to an interest yet I'm **** at maths, my GCSE in maths is diabolical. I'm doing engineering as well which requires maths! Every forum I sign up to, I get discouraged and made to feel like an idiot.

I want to follow a career in science yet maths and science go together, I feel like a spaz.

I was always so weirdo at school, I even had to have a brain scan and hearing tests because I day dreamed too much and apparently not responding.

Not only that, I have some intense rivalry with my cousin, and if I failed, he would know and laugh. His family has always succeeded whereas my family fails. My dad isn't intelligent and my mum is from some 3rd world country slum!

How do you all keep succeeding in life here people? I actually don't see life worth living if I'm going to work in some menial labour job like a press operator it isn't pretty! No, I'm not suicidal but logically, if my future is going to be stuck in a dead end job doing the same stupid **** over and over again? This is my worst fear, being a mong!

No matter what I do, two steps forward, one step back and then a **** load of bad news.

let no one lie to you....i used to get regular Es and Fs but i did something that changed my grade to an A for both IGCSE and A level.
1.Look at your foundation. Is you basic algebra foo?ARE you Ok with basic trig?
2.Find a teacher WHOM YOU CAN UNDERSTAND AND UNDERSTANDS YOU. this is important because i have two maths teachers. one ids for slow and detailed explained which really helps me understand the concept rather than just absorb. The other i use for quick brush in revision sessions cos he's really advanced and is experienced as an examiner. Basically dont mix addmath level teacher with normal math level teachers.
3. Past paperssssssss. i have seen people go from a U to an C within 4 weeks using them. they dont help you understand, they help you predict the examiner, the way he'll set the qstn, how he expects it to be answered e.tc.
most student are so intimidated by a paper that they dont evn try themget discouraged
4. believe in yourself.....and your parents genes dont determine jack! it hard work only!!
5.best ofluck i know you can do itttt

Latest