The Student Room Group

Why is Britain such a backward country?

Scroll to see replies

The only country which has done more for humanity is the USA.
Original post by barnetlad
If you compare Britain with Germany, the Scandanavian countries, the Netherlands and perhaps Belgium, France and Austria, then maybe socially and emotionally we are backwards. This could be evidenced by the level and nature of drunkenness, economic inequality, attitudes to sex, lack of style in the way we dress, inability to manage sensibly in patterns of weather that only occur for a few days a year, and the proportion of people who feel unhappy about their appearance. I blame the legacy of Oliver Cromwell, Queen Victoria and to a lesser extent the period of the governments of Margaret Thatcher and John Major.

Though if you compare our standard of living, the proportion of people who have enough to eat, level of education, arts and culture with probably all bar twenty countries in the whole world, we are in a much better position. If we were that bad, why do so many people from other countries in the EU and Commonwealth come and live here? The way I view it, if you are born in the UK, if where you are born is a lottery, being born here is akin to getting five numbers and the bonus ball.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hungry-britain-welfare-cuts-leave-more-than-500000-people-forced-to-use-food-banks-warns-oxfam-8636743.html

Welcome down to our level. Third world country, riddled with death, dressed up with hooring lipstick in fancy arsed first world clothes. In Ireland, young people are genuinely expected by the State to beg charity for fuel or food if they cannot live at home with parents and are out of work. Still, 500'000 people going hungry in Britain would be equivalent to 50'000 going hungry here.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's nice to have a choice. Only a **** would want to force me to work specific days that don't fit in

And as any reasonable liberal country should be secular, we should sort that out

Why? Even secular turkey has Friday as its day off.

Incidentally though, we're not a secular country.
Reply 83
Original post by River85
I don't know about you, but I've been able to do pretty much anything I want to do on a Sunday, and have been since the mid-1990s. Even buses run reasonably frequently on a Sunday where I live.

But what's wrong with having one day a week that is a time for relaxing, spending time with family? Perhaps because everything is so rush rush, and there's so much daily pressure and stress, we have the rates of mental illness that we have?

Have your own "relaxing" day if you want. Just don't expect the rest of the population to conform to these standards, and accept the consequences of that for yourself.

P.S. My gym closes at 4pm on a Sunday which is intolerable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why? Even secular turkey has Friday as its day off.

Incidentally though, we're not a secular country.

Why should I be forced to have a day off and everything shut when I don't want to, don't follow the religion and want a different day off?

We should be. If we want to be considered modern and not backwards.
Reply 85
Not if you're doing a job that would involve working on Sundays? Fancy doing a 9 to 5 job on Sunday for no extra pay?

The career path I've chosen will require working on weekends. No two billy bob ways about it.

So the answer to your question is yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
As mush as little Englanders piss me off two with their EU and immigrant obsession those seem like stupid reasons to leave, your essentially complaining because the country is too socially conservative.

For me to leave (Ireland, Canada or New York probably) it would have to be for greater economic opportunity.

Someone emigrating to Ireland. That's a good one.
Reply 87
Original post by notthegreatest
I know he didn't but I used them as examples.

But it was a biased example. Why didn't you choose to compare to one of the Scandinavian countries that many say are vastly ahead of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Progress may have been made but its still not enough, i can't pop to Tesco at 9pm for a weekly shop.

Why should employees have a say? They are employed to work a set number of hours, if these hours happen to be on a Sunday then they should work.

I just don't see why the state should regulate opening hours at all.

The working man produces with his sweat, toil and labour. The employer profits from this labour and only pays him a fraction of the full value he produces. Employers should not be allowed control every aspect of the working man's life. They control too much as it is in multinationalism anyways.

The workers do all the work. It's attitudes like this that would have us all doing 70 hours a week for sixpence so William Bastard Murphy can print his little articles in his little paper saying how we should work 80 hrs for fivepence. Stop away with this eegitry, would ye?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Iodized_Salt
Oh OP so young and stupid. Wait until you DO leave and then you realize how many problems other countries have. Honestly...the tube closes at midnight and everything comes to a standstill on Sunday? (Where!?). What a load of horse bollox.

No it's not a load of "bollox" and no I'm not stupid. I'm doing a Masters at LSE (what, may I ask, are you doing?). I have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the politics of essentially every country on earth, having been studying the stuff for 5 years, if you really care. You haven't addressed any of the issues I raised in my post. Don't make assumptions about my intelligence just because you disagree with my points - by raising patently inaccurate objections.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Where exactly did the OP mention Russia, Greece or Albania?

I've already gone into it elsewhere on here but there's plenty I don't miss now that I live in Denmark. There are various things that Denmark is equally rubbish at, but many things that it is light years ahead in when compared to the UK.

PM me. I want to emigrate from Ireland and would love to live in Denmark.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why should I be forced to have a day off and everything shut when I don't want to, don't follow the religion and want a different day off?

We should be. If we want to be considered modern and not backwards.

Try working seven days a week for anything longer than 4 weeks and then tell me you don't need a day off.

One day when you leave school and grow up you'll look forward to weekends off. Especially if you live near a tube station, factory etc to give a little respite.
Reply 92
Try working seven days a week for anything longer than 4 weeks and then tell me you don't need a day off.

One day when you leave school and grow up you'll look forward to weekends off. Especially if you live near a tube station, factory etc to give a little respite.

Where did he/she say anything about "working seven days a week"?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Suetonius
Where did he say anything about "working seven days a week"?

When he said 'why should I be forced to have a day off.'

We have a poster who seems to think that the world revolves around him and is incapable of seeing the bigger picture.
Reply 94
When he said 'why should I be forced to have a day off.'

We have a poster who seems to think that the world revolves around him and is incapable of seeing the bigger picture.

Why should they not be allowed to work Sundays if they want to?

People can and do work Sundays. It depends on what career path you take.
Reply 96
Original post by BaileIuiliain
Someone emigrating to Ireland. That's a good one.

Sounds stupid now but actually bar the monumental housing boom and bust the Irish economy is structurally one of the best in the Eurozone and will over time see strong growth.

In practice it's going to be their future employer that stops them working on Sundays, assuming he/she chooses a job with standard office hours, not the government enforcing traditional Christian values.
Reply 98
is it me or is there always these pointless political debates(either to do with the muslim religion, stupid taxes, british society views etc.) ? Tbh I actually can't stand them.

General life here in the UK generally sucks ass, compared to other parts of the world where life is much more interesting and better (Australia, US, Canada) which is why a lot of people tend to come here to do their degrees (since education here is quite respectable) and leave.

I'm personally going to leave, though ill probably have to work here for 1 or 2 years prior after graduation :tongue:
Reply 99

Come on OP, I'm intrigued to know where it is you want to relocate in order to have a better life than if you were in the UK. If it's all true I might follow you there! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending