The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Stay at Essex or transfer to Lancaster?

Hey guys, just a quick question really!

I recently got into Essex university, which was my insurance, and while I don't hate it I sometimes feel like it's too far from home (Newcastle) so I sent a few emails out to various universities about transferring...

I got average a-levels at A2 (ACC) after attaining strong AS results and being predicted AAB... One of the contributing factors was my dad getting diagnosed with bowel cancer and my aunt receiving a diagnosis of terminal pancreatic cancer; so it was a fairly stressful time and affected by performance.

Having got to uni so far I've got 2 1sts and 2 2.1s in my first 4 assignments and it's going okay. Anyway having sent the e-mail out I eventually got a reply from Lancaster stating that they'd allow me to transfer into 2nd year providing I get a 2.1 at Essex, which is possible.

Anyway I've had mixed opinions on it, Lancaster is such an amazing uni and is ranked highly for my subject (Linguistics)... But I don't hate Essex and I'm worried about losing the friends I have and being unable to make new ones as friend groups will have already formed... So, I thought I'd post on here to see what people think? Should I accept the offer?
Reply 1
My advice is check Lancaster out more and see if you like the feel of the place, and if you do I'd probably go with transferring, you can always keep in touch with old friends while making new ones here, and don't worry about making new ones, you're sure to find people you enjoy the company of. I'm sure lots of people move about uni's in the second year, through transfers, exchanges etc. so don't worry about missing out on making friends.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I just started as an undergrad this year at Lancaster after spending some time abroad doing overseas voluntary work , and had may questions and reservations myself . I am now happily there after an amazing three months , so much so that I recently trained to be a tour guide and will be doing this as soon as i am back next week . I would argue the only way you truly get a feel for a university is to go and take a look and I will be more than happy to show you round if you so choose :smile:

Kind regards
Josh
Original post by JordanC55
Hey guys, just a quick question really!

I recently got into Essex university, which was my insurance, and while I don't hate it I sometimes feel like it's too far from home (Newcastle) so I sent a few emails out to various universities about transferring...

I got average a-levels at A2 (ACC) after attaining strong AS results and being predicted AAB... One of the contributing factors was my dad getting diagnosed with bowel cancer and my aunt receiving a diagnosis of terminal pancreatic cancer; so it was a fairly stressful time and affected by performance.

Having got to uni so far I've got 2 1sts and 2 2.1s in my first 4 assignments and it's going okay. Anyway having sent the e-mail out I eventually got a reply from Lancaster stating that they'd allow me to transfer into 2nd year providing I get a 2.1 at Essex, which is possible.

Anyway I've had mixed opinions on it, Lancaster is such an amazing uni and is ranked highly for my subject (Linguistics)... But I don't hate Essex and I'm worried about losing the friends I have and being unable to make new ones as friend groups will have already formed... So, I thought I'd post on here to see what people think? Should I accept the offer?

Lancaster is such an amazing supportive community, its really a one-of-akind place
Original post by soonlancstudent7
Lancaster is such an amazing supportive community, its really a one-of-akind place

You do realise this post was 6 years ago lolz
Original post by Anonymous
You do realise this post was 6 years ago lolz

LMAOOO i'm crying ICBA this was lit before i even went

Latest

Trending

Trending