The Student Room Group

The Secondary MFL 2014 Applicant Thread :D

This thread will be about anything related to MFL PGCE applications.

So far I know the users below (plus myself) are Secondary MFL 2014 Applicants:

Original post by Tinitus
I've got an interview for MFL Secondary in York on the 9th! Anyone else there that day?

Original post by cinderella25
I can imagine how you feel!
I am applying for secondary MFL, so I am calmer than you :tongue:

Original post by ohlalach
Hi there, just submitted my application yesterday! Has anyone heard back yet? Im applying for PGCE Secondary MFL School Direct and University options.

Original post by ginger.
MFL (German and French)

Original post by znh
Hi! So I after much thinking, I have decided to apply for Secondary MFL PGCE! I'm currently writing my personal statement and my personal tutor will be my principal reference.

I am really confused about the secondary referee... I was an English Language Assistant in France last year so I was hoping to put one of the teachers down - someone who I worked alongside with and also would be able to write a reference in English.

However, the UCAS website says 'If you're providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it must come from the headteacher'. I wasn't employed by the school directly but allocated there by the French education department and I didn't observe, I taught... do you think it would be ok to put the teacher instead of the headteacher? The headteacher is lovely and I know she would provide and good reference BUT she does not speak English. Any advice?

------------------------------

Feel to post anything within the topic. Are you having problems with your referee? (I had some delays :frown: ), are you writing your PS? Have you sent your application? Which universities did you apply to? Do you feel nervous/confident about the interviews? Are you still doing school-based work experience?

Speak your mind on here! :smile:
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
I'm still waiting for my refrences :frown:

Which universities did you apply to?

I'm applying to Hope, Edge Hill and Chester :smile:
Reply 3
I'm applying for York, UEA and Oxford. .so far I've got interviews for York(9th) and UEA (21st), not a peep from Oxford yet :smile:
Reply 4
Has anyone had interviews yet, if so, what were they like? Any tips or advice?

I have one on Thursday for the Durham SCITT. Does anyone else have an interview there?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey there! I'm applying for university of birmingham and newman university, still didnt send my applicaiton..i'm PGCE French btw, but I'll eventually add spanish
Reply 6
I just received an offer from the interview I had yesterday :smile: :woo:.
Original post by znh
I just received an offer from the interview I had yesterday :smile: :woo:.

Well done!! what did you apply for? any tips for the interview? cheers
Reply 8
Original post by Bham_Studentessa
Well done!! what did you apply for? any tips for the interview? cheers

Thank you :smile:.

It was a MFL SCITT.

There was a written task and a numeracy test, but they weren't determinant factors.

The main part was delivering a 15 min 'lesson' to the interviewers as if they were a Year 10 class. They told me the topic when I received the interview email.

The interview part was around 20 mins (well, depending on how much you talk because another candidate was only in there for 10 mins) and I was asked a series of longer answer questions.

Tips... well I thought I rambled on too much lol! The main advice I can give is to be yourself and try to act confident (despite the nerves)!

Where have you applied?
Original post by znh
Thank you :smile:.

It was a MFL SCITT.

There was a written task and a numeracy test, but they weren't determinant factors.

The main part was delivering a 15 min 'lesson' to the interviewers as if they were a Year 10 class. They told me the topic when I received the interview email.

The interview part was around 20 mins (well, depending on how much you talk because another candidate was only in there for 10 mins) and I was asked a series of longer answer questions.

Tips... well I thought I rambled on too much lol! The main advice I can give is to be yourself and try to act confident (despite the nerves)!

Where have you applied?

That's a very throughout interview! thanks for sharing! I'm in the process of applying at the university of Birmingham and newman university...How did you find the teaching lesson? sorry to shower you with questions!
Reply 10
I had my MFL Interview yesterday and they followed the schedule: 3 min presentation, group discussion, short essay in English, task in German and then the individuell interviews. At the end they kind of told me that I had the place(if I complete a subject enhancement course for French)!!! So happy, York was my first choice :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Bham_Studentessa
That's a very throughout interview! thanks for sharing! I'm in the process of applying at the university of Birmingham and newman university...How did you find the teaching lesson? sorry to shower you with questions!

Haha it's ok :smile:.

I thought it was ok. The interviewer were very well behaved year 10s :lol:. I made sure I wasn't just presenting and asked them questions.

I just created a PowerPoint, a handout and a worksheet but another applicant there had loads of words to stick on a wall and used the whiteboard, which I personally find a bit of a hassle! But it's all down to personal preference :smile:.
Reply 12
Original post by Tinitus
I had my MFL Interview yesterday and they followed the schedule: 3 min presentation, group discussion, short essay in English, task in German and then the individuell interviews. At the end they kind of told me that I had the place(if I complete a subject enhancement course for French)!!! So happy, York was my first choice :biggrin:

Wow! I thought mine were quick to tell me the morning after the interview that I had an offer but to get told there an then is amazing! Well done!

Could you tell me more in detail about the day? Particularly the presentation and group discussion?

Congratulations on getting your first choice too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending