The Student Room Group

I suck at History :(

I'm in year 13. In order to get into my dream course I need to get 3 As but I fear I will fail to get an A in history.

Don't get me wrong, I love history but I really flop writing good answers to questions for it. Last year I got a B and a C in the two history exams I had for AS History when I was predicted an A.

Anyone got any tips on how to write good history essays or have any good tips on revising history?

I would also be grateful to see examples of top mark history essays which easily can show me what to do to improve.

I cannot stress how badly I really need that A :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't comment on doing well at History but I would say make sure you find a secondary course which you'd be happy doing and with more attainable grades. There's utterly no sense putting all your faith in one application as your chances aren't guaranteed even with the grades.

You make courses what you want to an extent anyway so you'll be happy even if you don't get your number 1 :smile:

And as ever, don't panic :smile:
Reply 2
If you were predicted A grade results and got a B and a C perhaps you need to practice doing exams. :wink:
Just believe in Yourself
Reply 4
Perhaps it's your exam technique? As well as having the correct knowledge to apply to the essay, it needs to be structured well and in answer to the question. I'd recommend going onto your exam board's website and printing off examiners reports, past papers and mark schemes, that way you have an idea of exactly what the examiner sees in a great answer :smile:
Yes if your prediction is an A and you got a B and a C the issue is clearly exam technique, i am prepared to help if you wish?
Reply 6
Thank you all for your advice, are there any specific revision tips anyone can offer for when revising history? Most my revision is just summarising the textbook and exam questions

Original post by AndrewGrace
Yes if your prediction is an A and you got a B and a C the issue is clearly exam technique, i am prepared to help if you wish?

Sure, a lot of people say I need to work on exam technique but I am not sure how. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Practice writing essay plans for potential answers based on your course material. Restrict yourself for time. That way you a) get used to thinking up stuff on the spot, and b) have lots of potential questions to revise, and the question you get might be something similar.

Original post by Xroz
Thank you all for your advice, are there any specific revision tips anyone can offer for when revising history? Most my revision is just summarising the textbook and exam questions

Sure, a lot of people say I need to work on exam technique but I am not sure how. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any essays you have written i could take a look at and give some advice on technique?
Reply 9
There is a key to acing history. And it isn't that hard. Honestly, follow this and you'll do well.

The key is to

- make your point.

- To explain the point.

- Then to give an example,

Nothing too complex as it's only an exam.

So to pluck a random example out of my brain... If the question was: 'To what extent does the French Revolution account for Napoleon's rise to dominance?'

You would make a point; i.e. One of the many benefits that came with the French Revolution was the way in which it allowed men of low birth to rise rapidly to unprecedented positions within the military.

Then explain it a bit; so...: previously, under the Bourbon monarchy, only nobles of high birth could ever expect to gain prestigious rank. With the revolution the notions of liberty and equality came to the fore and these ideals were very much transposed onto the military - you get the point, just explain what you're saying.

Then! An example: This can best be illustrated by assessing quite how Napoleon came to be the Commander of the Interior. His actions at Toulon and later against the Parisian mobs paved the way for his being given such a prestigious position in the army at such a young age - etc.

So that would be one paragraph (make it a bit longer than that, I don't need to). The move onto another point, doing the same again. Make about 5 points. But at the start of each new point take it back to the question, so simply start the next paragraph with something along the lines of:

Another way in which Napoleon owed his rise to power to the revolution was that................. and write on.

The reason is this makes certain that you aren't straying from the question, this is a mistake a lot of people make. They start prattling on about irrelevant rubbish.

Don't dwell too long on the wording, an exam is about demonstrating your knowledge, not your lyrical prowess.

Write a basic introduction and conclusion (pretty much saying the same thing in each). And plan your points first, just jot down 5 relevant points at the start and stick to them, a paragraph each.

Well I hope you read this because it took 10 minutes to write! But there's my advice. Take it or leave it :biggrin:

Original post by Xroz

Just look through old exam papers. Questions tend to repeat. If you can answer all the old exams, you'll be able to answer the new ones.
Original post by Xroz
I'm in year 13. In order to get into my dream course I need to get 3 As but I fear I will fail to get an A in history.

Don't get me wrong, I love history but I really flop writing good answers to questions for it. Last year I got a B and a C in the two history exams I had for AS History when I was predicted an A.

Anyone got any tips on how to write good history essays or have any good tips on revising history?

I would also be grateful to see examples of top mark history essays which easily can show me what to do to improve.

I cannot stress how badly I really need that A :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you checked to see if there is a thread on here for your specific exam board or specification?
I found the one for my politics exams just a few days before my exam and it really helped me so you'd probably be able to benefit from one for your history course.
Reply 11
Original post by Jjj90
There is a key to acing history. And it isn't that hard. Honestly, follow this and you'll do well.

The key is to

- make your point.

- To explain the point.

- Then to give an example,

Nothing too complex as it's only an exam.

So to pluck a random example out of my brain... If the question was: 'To what extent does the French Revolution account for Napoleon's rise to dominance?'

You would make a point; i.e. One of the many benefits that came with the French Revolution was the way in which it allowed men of low birth to rise rapidly to unprecedented positions within the military.

Then explain it a bit; so...: previously, under the Bourbon monarchy, only nobles of high birth could ever expect to gain prestigious rank. With the revolution the notions of liberty and equality came to the fore and these ideals were very much transposed onto the military - you get the point, just explain what you're saying.

Then! An example: This can best be illustrated by assessing quite how Napoleon came to be the Commander of the Interior. His actions at Toulon and later against the Parisian mobs paved the way for his being given such a prestigious position in the army at such a young age - etc.

So that would be one paragraph (make it a bit longer than that, I don't need to). The move onto another point, doing the same again. Make about 5 points. But at the start of each new point take it back to the question, so simply start the next paragraph with something along the lines of:

Another way in which Napoleon owed his rise to power to the revolution was that................. and write on.

The reason is this makes certain that you aren't straying from the question, this is a mistake a lot of people make. They start prattling on about irrelevant rubbish.

Don't dwell too long on the wording, an exam is about demonstrating your knowledge, not your lyrical prowess.

Write a basic introduction and conclusion (pretty much saying the same thing in each). And plan your points first, just jot down 5 relevant points at the start and stick to them, a paragraph each.

Well I hope you read this because it took 10 minutes to write! But there's my advice. Take it or leave it :biggrin:

Just look through old exam papers. Questions tend to repeat. If you can answer all the old exams, you'll be able to answer the new ones.

Thank you very much for all that helpful info! I really do appreciate your input :biggrin:

Original post by AndrewGrace
Do you have any essays you have written i could take a look at and give some advice on technique?

I will try and give you some when I have them on me, our teacher usually likes keeping our essays for some reason but I can ask for em. Thanks for your help :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending