The Student Room Group

Nazi consolidation of power

Can anyone help me with this essay question please :smile:

‘Nazi consolidation of power in 1933 was primarily due to the use of terror and violence’ how far do you agree with this judgement?
I did this question not too long ago, here's a couple of paragraphs for inspiration :tongue:

Upon Hitler’s appointment of Chancellor in January 1933, he faced series of issues that would need to be tackled in order to allow the Nazis to consolidate their power and secure a strong position within Germany. After all, there were only two other Nazis in the cabinet of twelve and so attempting to maintain their power was extremely vital. However, it is evident across their methods that violence and terror were indeed prominent strategic components in achieving the final power necessary, primarily shown through the somewhat ‘dictatorial’ behaviour of the SA and their brutality that advanced the rise of Nazism. Despite this, violence and terror were not solely responsible for their consolidation of power, Hitler’s intelligent decision to call for an election in March, the somewhat “lucky” outcome of the Reichstag fire and the Enabling Act are all contributing factors and therefore challenge this opinion extensively.

One aspect to the political style of Nazism was the systematic encouragement and the use of violence. Regardless of the fact that Weimar politics implemented the use of violence from the start, Nazism brought violence to a new height and enforced an unprecedented affair of persecution and intimidation. Due to an increase in unemployment, the SA were able to thrive in popularity and therefore inflict acts of terror within Germany. They consolidated power using violence through the method of attacking the opposition, notably the communists, thus eradicating strong opposition, simultaneously weakening other groups within Germany whilst strengthening their own. During the campaign of July 1932, battles between communists and Nazis resulted in the death of 10 people and a week later a further 19 due to a Nazi march through a working-class suburb of Hamburg. Leading Nazis only encouraged this however, as they believed that for the expansion of Nazism to occur, control of the streets was the first step to be taken. Violence was also used in perhaps more formal occasions such as the Reichstag election of March 1933, showing that terror was a method used in a series of situations and wasn’t to be a limited method used by the Nazis. The method of terror being effective is also shown in the way that on the 5th March, an election had a high turnout of 88 per cent, suggesting that the violent actions of the SA and the corruption of officials frightened people into voting, gaining more votes for the Nazis and therefore contributing to their consolidation of power. Clearly the Nazis were far from being a “peaceful” group, rather using brutal methods appealed to them more and ultimately allowed them to consolidate power in 1933 through the destruction and weakening of both the communists and regular citizens of Germany. Despite this, there were many other reasons as to why the Nazis were able to consolidate their power that didn’t involve violence or terror, thus challenging this as being the most prominent reason.

One event that the Nazis were able to use to their advantage was the Reichstag fire that occurred in February 1933; it allowed them to strengthen their position and therefore advance their consolidation of power. On the 27th of February, it was reported that van der Lubbe, a Dutch communist, was responsible for setting the Reichstag building on fire. Although at the time some believed the Nazis purposely started the fire to support the claims of a communist coup, the Reichstag Fire was significant in the way that it ultimately resulted in the Nazis exploiting it to their advantage. In response to this event, Frick organised the ‘Decree for the Protection of People and State’, with Hindenburg signing it. This resulted in a great deal of civil and political liberties being suspended and to the Nazis advantage, the power of the central government was strengthened. The “excuse” for the passing of this decree was simply as a result of the threat posed by the communists, thus justifying the Nazis’ behaviour. However the Nazi consolidation of power was once again maintained using violence within this situation, as after the final week of the election campaign, hundreds of anti-Nazis were arrested and the violence continued.

:tongue:
Is this for AQA? I'm sure I've done a similar question before.

Half of the essay will be how the Nazis DID use terror and violence in their consolidation of power in 1933 and half of the essay will be other reasons that helped them consolidate their power.

Make sure it's balanced and you give your judgement throughout on whether you think it was the terror and violence or another reason. Prioritise your factors, e.g "I think this is the most important one because..."
Reply 3
I remember doing this question too, now i'm doing History at uni. I was going to give you a few pointers too but the above posts have it spot on! Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaNick
Have you learned how else the Nazis attained power? Because they also sympathised with certain classes (ie working and middle class) to get their vote. Furthermore the Nazis owed it to their use of propaganda and the failing Weimar Republic.

I would structure an essay like this:

Introduction - say the question and your side
Paragraph 1 (Yes, it was due to terror/violence) - come up with three well explained reasons why their use of terror got them to power. Then explain why it was the most/less important depending on your side.
Paragraph 2 (No, other factors) - explain the three reasons I mentioned, and at the end explain why they were less/more significant depending on your side.
Conclusion - make a substantiated conclusion as to why your argued side is so.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by smozsolution
Is this for AQA? I'm sure I've done a similar question before.

Half of the essay will be how the Nazis DID use terror and violence in their consolidation of power in 1933 and half of the essay will be other reasons that helped them consolidate their power.

Make sure it's balanced and you give your judgement throughout on whether you think it was the terror and violence or another reason. Prioritise your factors, e.g "I think this is the most important one because..."

Nope Edexcel :smile: Thanks for the help
Reply 6
Original post by Lucy96
I did this question not too long ago, here's a couple of paragraphs for inspiration :tongue:

Upon Hitler’s appointment of Chancellor in January 1933, he faced series of issues that would need to be tackled in order to allow the Nazis to consolidate their power and secure a strong position within Germany. After all, there were only two other Nazis in the cabinet of twelve and so attempting to maintain their power was extremely vital. However, it is evident across their methods that violence and terror were indeed prominent strategic components in achieving the final power necessary, primarily shown through the somewhat ‘dictatorial’ behaviour of the SA and their brutality that advanced the rise of Nazism. Despite this, violence and terror were not solely responsible for their consolidation of power, Hitler’s intelligent decision to call for an election in March, the somewhat “lucky” outcome of the Reichstag fire and the Enabling Act are all contributing factors and therefore challenge this opinion extensively.

One aspect to the political style of Nazism was the systematic encouragement and the use of violence. Regardless of the fact that Weimar politics implemented the use of violence from the start, Nazism brought violence to a new height and enforced an unprecedented affair of persecution and intimidation. Due to an increase in unemployment, the SA were able to thrive in popularity and therefore inflict acts of terror within Germany. They consolidated power using violence through the method of attacking the opposition, notably the communists, thus eradicating strong opposition, simultaneously weakening other groups within Germany whilst strengthening their own. During the campaign of July 1932, battles between communists and Nazis resulted in the death of 10 people and a week later a further 19 due to a Nazi march through a working-class suburb of Hamburg. Leading Nazis only encouraged this however, as they believed that for the expansion of Nazism to occur, control of the streets was the first step to be taken. Violence was also used in perhaps more formal occasions such as the Reichstag election of March 1933, showing that terror was a method used in a series of situations and wasn’t to be a limited method used by the Nazis. The method of terror being effective is also shown in the way that on the 5th March, an election had a high turnout of 88 per cent, suggesting that the violent actions of the SA and the corruption of officials frightened people into voting, gaining more votes for the Nazis and therefore contributing to their consolidation of power. Clearly the Nazis were far from being a “peaceful” group, rather using brutal methods appealed to them more and ultimately allowed them to consolidate power in 1933 through the destruction and weakening of both the communists and regular citizens of Germany. Despite this, there were many other reasons as to why the Nazis were able to consolidate their power that didn’t involve violence or terror, thus challenging this as being the most prominent reason.

One event that the Nazis were able to use to their advantage was the Reichstag fire that occurred in February 1933; it allowed them to strengthen their position and therefore advance their consolidation of power. On the 27th of February, it was reported that van der Lubbe, a Dutch communist, was responsible for setting the Reichstag building on fire. Although at the time some believed the Nazis purposely started the fire to support the claims of a communist coup, the Reichstag Fire was significant in the way that it ultimately resulted in the Nazis exploiting it to their advantage. In response to this event, Frick organised the ‘Decree for the Protection of People and State’, with Hindenburg signing it. This resulted in a great deal of civil and political liberties being suspended and to the Nazis advantage, the power of the central government was strengthened. The “excuse” for the passing of this decree was simply as a result of the threat posed by the communists, thus justifying the Nazis’ behaviour. However the Nazi consolidation of power was once again maintained using violence within this situation, as after the final week of the election campaign, hundreds of anti-Nazis were arrested and the violence continued.

:tongue:

Thank you soo much that helps a lot :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by vwilsdon1
I remember doing this question too, now i'm doing History at uni. I was going to give you a few pointers too but the above posts have it spot on! Good luck!

How is History at uni?
Original post by xsabahx
Thank you soo much that helps a lot :biggrin:

You're very welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by xsabahx
How is History at uni?

It's quite a lot of research and independent learning but if you enjoy the subject you'll be fine! I am no straight A student or anything so if it's something that interests you don't be put off by that! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest