The Student Room Group

Challenging an overseas fee status

So I recently received an offer for my top choice University yet have been given overseas fee status, despite being British with a British parent living in the UK. I've lived outside of the EU for a few years, and despite 2 universities awarding me Home Status, I'm curious as to if and how I can go about persuading the other university to change this status.

Already I can see this sounds hilariously snotty, but with no financial help from parents, overseas fees is clearly out of the question. Is it possible they would change the fee status? Is it because they are oversubscribed? Any advice would be very much appreciated :smile:
Being British matters not a jot. Where you've been in the last 3 years is all that counts. Outside the EU and not as a consequence of a short term parental job then you are screwed.
Reply 2
Do you know why two universities gave you Home status? Residency is key to both SF entitlement and fee status. It's critical that you should have been living in the UK for three years prior to the start of your propsed course, in order to be considered for Home status. That's regardless of your British nationality. You need to find out why you were given Home status elsewhere and present that to the uni which is insisting on International status. For example, if you were living with a parent who had temporarily been posted overseas, then this would give you an exemption from International fees.

QMUL have a very useful summary of the Home vs International fee situation here:
http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/feestatus/
Reply 3
Original post by mikele
So I recently received an offer for my top choice University yet have been given overseas fee status, despite being British with a British parent living in the UK. I've lived outside of the EU for a few years, and despite 2 universities awarding me Home Status, I'm curious as to if and how I can go about persuading the other university to change this status.

Already I can see this sounds hilariously snotty, but with no financial help from parents, overseas fees is clearly out of the question. Is it possible they would change the fee status? Is it because they are oversubscribed? Any advice would be very much appreciated :smile:

, but if you've lived outside the UK for 3 years or more and it wasn't a temporary absence then you wont be eligible for student finance so you'll have to pay yourself, its possible this university is applying this criteria
Reply 4
Original post by mikele
Is it because they are oversubscribed?

It certainly won't be for this reason. Home vs International status is governed by legislation, so you're looking at universities who are either interpreting the legislation in different ways, who have misunderstood your situation or who have not had correct information passed to them.

Amongst other things you need to know why one university has given you International status - have they given a reason? It would also help to know why the two other universities judge you to be a Home student.
Reply 5
Mmm I requested a questionnaire and in the information section this was included:

'Please note that the following exceptions can apply as detailed below:We refer to Relevant Family Member (RFM) below and this can include spouse, civil partner, child, stepchild, or grandchild. If you feel that you have a family relationship that entitles you to consideration for home fee status which is not included here please indicate this relationship in section 1 of the form'

No idea if this applies to parents too. The residence abroad is temporary and based on a UK-based contract. My brother was able to attain home status and student finance last year in the same circumstance. It's all very strange, was just wondering the likelihood of changing the status. Also the information does mention temporary work outside of the EU but then fails to account for that in the list of ten categories for having Home Fee Status.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending