The Student Room Group

uni chances with my subjects

i do maths, further maths, chemistry, and economics. (year 12)

now my school is letting me do physics, but i can only do 1 exam in the summer, so i wont have a full AS in physics. if i do the exam and get an A/B
will this look good on my ucas, will i be at a disadvantage compared to other students, as i have not done a full AS in physics just 1 exam out of the 4 ( i will complete the other 3 exams in summer 2014).

i want to apply to the top unis e.g. imperial, UCL, maybe even cambridge.

it is unlikely i will be predicted an A in physics as i have only done 1 exam ( which i really want)

im interested in doing chemical engineering or maths at uni.

thank you.
Reply 1
Most universities don't REQUIRE Physics to A Level and say you can have Chemistry or Physics but Maths is compulsory. You could apply to Cambridge via their Natural Sciences route which requires Maths and Chemistry. Other good uni's are Nottingham, Bath, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds. I emailed UCL and they said for October 2014 applications you require AS Physics so I'm afraid you might have to give that one a miss.

I'm also applying for Chemical Engineering and I have done Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Eng Lit at AS. I will take the first three to A2 and also take up Further Maths AS. One more thing, do as many Mechanics Modules as possible and avoid stats if possible as Mechanics is large in Engineering.
:smile:Good Luck
All the unis u hav mentioned are hugely academic and will obviously favor the applicant with the most relevant subject choices.

ie Maths, FM, Chem, Econ and Phys AS will look very mathematical and u urself will have a broader knowledge. Chemeng is involves much physics, and even if u wanna do maths, physics may be helpful at some point?

if ur sure u can handle it and get 1 A* and the rest A then by all means go for it.

or if u really like physics, then self teach urself the other unit and get the AS level.
Original post by Syed513
Most universities don't REQUIRE Physics to A Level and say you can have Chemistry or Physics but Maths is compulsory. You could apply to Cambridge via their Natural Sciences route which requires Maths and Chemistry. Other good uni's are Nottingham, Bath, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds. I emailed UCL and they said for October 2014 applications you require AS Physics so I'm afraid you might have to give that one a miss.

I'm also applying for Chemical Engineering and I have done Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Eng Lit at AS. I will take the first three to A2 and also take up Further Maths AS. One more thing, do as many Mechanics Modules as possible and avoid stats if possible as Mechanics is large in Engineering.
:smile:Good Luck

Roarmaster??
Roarmaster

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Coral Reafs
Roarmaster??

Yes??
Original post by Roarmaster
Yes??

R u and syed513 the same person?? :sherlock:

Posted from TSR Mobile