The Student Room Group

GCSE ICT or Computing

Hi,

My younger sister is looking at choosing her GCSE options. She's trying to choose between GCSE ICT or GCSE Computing?

I was wondering what people's opinions/experiences are on which is the better option? Particularly if she decides to think about a career in the IT industry in the future.

The GCSE ICT is with CCEA and GCSE Computing OCR.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help :smile:
GCSE ICT would be the better option.
Reply 2
Original post by Lornz*
Hi,

My younger sister is looking at choosing her GCSE options. She's trying to choose between GCSE ICT or GCSE Computing?

I was wondering what people's opinions/experiences are on which is the better option? Particularly if she decides to think about a career in the IT industry in the future.

The GCSE ICT is with CCEA and GCSE Computing OCR.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help :smile:

Depends on what she wants to do. If she wants to become a software developer then Computing is the better option.
If she just wants to learn how to use a variety of packages and look at business system then ICT is the better choice.
Both courses have their strengths and faults, she needs to find out more about what they entail and go with what interests her the most.

Thinking of the future - Computer Science graduates are in more demand than IT graduates.
Reply 3
I would say Computing is almost undoubtedly the better option.
ICT teaches you nothing that a few hours playing around in a particular software package won't give you.
Reply 4
As a teacher, I endorse Computing whole-heartedly.

Management don't like me telling students ICT is largely a waste of time.

Computing teaches problem-solving skills and adaptability. ICT is death-by-MS Office.
Reply 5
COMPUTING. It is greatly admired. I did ICT and it is a waste of time.
Reply 6
I did ICT in year 9 and I'm doing computing now (GCSE). Computing has taught me MUCH more than ICT-I can now make basic programs and mobile phone applications. So I would recommend Computing.
Computing!
Reply 8
My students who do ICT are bored witless and only enjoy it when I go off-syllabus.

My students who do Computing love every minute, though it is certainly tougher.
Reply 9
Computing. ICT is a waste.
Reply 10
ICT doesn't teach you anything that the average teen doesn't already know. So it's easy but not very fulfilling.
Reply 11
My son is really struggling witth computing. He is in year 10 now and he finds it very hard. Can you please let me know how he could find an easier way of managing it. Eg. websites or revisions books. As you are a teacher you might have some clues. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 12
Computing is more in demand, but ICT is better for business.
Computing is a skill that you can easily get a job with.
ICT is regarded higher by University's.
Reply 13
Original post by Jane-doe

ICT is regarded higher by University's.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, because it definitely is not.
Reply 14
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do computing, people will assume you know everything from ICT automatically.

Computing involves things like creating websites, applications and working with hardware or databases etc. It's a lot more useful and interesting.

ICT is really just admin work or something, writing word documents and spreadsheets...
Computing for sure, but sadly I missed out on taking it for GCSE; I was 1 year too late!

I picked ICT, it's dull and most of it is common sense. If you can do computing, you sure as hell can do IT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending