The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01
Can anyone help me? I need to make my classes more dynamic and I don't know what to do; especially with grammar. Really finding life hard.

Anything that gets everyone participating is the key, doesn't mean it has to be all-singing all-dancing "fun".

I like using mini-whiteboards (or in my currect school, using the pupils' iPads as mini-whiteboards) so everyone has to answer questions at the same time. You can do this with verb tenses, for example - "How do you say "fui" in English?", pupils write "I went". The key is to keep them on their toes, give them just a few seconds to write their answer and hold it up before doing the next one. And you can build them up to include extra detail so they're translating "Ayer fui al cine con mis amigos" or something. It's just translation, so very old fashioned, but much more dynamic than giving them a list of sentences to write out on paper.

This wipeout game is good for getting them to identify mistakes. http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Wipeout-interactive-starter-6167439/ You put in the correct and incorrect answers, so you focus on a grammar point (I do this with French with articles "du", "de la", "des", for example) and fill in phrases. Pupils have to find all of the correct phrases without choosing any of the incorrect ones.

Get them to work out grammar rules themselves, rather than you telling them. Using card sorts can be good - for example, if you were doing irregular past participles, you could give them a set of dominoes with a mixture of regular and irregular verbs.

eg: X - I play ---> I played - I buy ---> I bought - I listen --> I listened - I go ---> I went ---> I read ---> I read - I write ---> I wote - X

Pupils match the cards up in a snake, then you can give them questions to answer about what the pattern is, which words don't follow the pattern, etc. Then once you've gone through the key irregular verbs and they've written them down, you could do the drilling with mini-whiteboards a bit more to consolidate them.

Hope this helps!
Got to teach a 15 min interview lesson on a historical topic of my choice! To high ability y7 pupils. Any ideas/tips!?

They have said they aren't bothered about a traditional 3 part lesson, just want to see interaction with the pupils.
Original post by outlaw-torn
Got to teach a 15 min interview lesson on a historical topic of my choice! To high ability y7 pupils. Any ideas/tips!?

They have said they aren't bothered about a traditional 3 part lesson, just want to see interaction with the pupils.

Is this for an interview?

I would go with something they have an interest in and have a little prior knowledge. Something like WW1 or WW2, the Blitz, Black Death wouldn't be too bad I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am left physically and mentally drained travelling 1 and half hour to my placement on bus each way. I did inform university that I struggle with travel and yet they placed me far again. This is my second placement and I've just made the first week.

I need some advice I am putting in all the hours and i can't seem to get things done. My main issues are not having the time, as when I get home my body can't function due to the travel and long day.

I have to plan lessons, no resources are available so it's taking me 3 hours each lesson, create homework sheets and mark work. I also feel as if I am being left to my own device with no support. I create lessons with just one word given to me. It seems as if I have been set up to fail from the start. What should I do?

P.s. I'm very able and get things done normally, for instance I'm the one to submit an essay before the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
I am left physically and mentally drained travelling 1 and half hour to my placement on bus each way. I did inform university that I struggle with travel and yet they placed me far again. This is my second placement and I've just made the first week.

I need some advice I am putting in all the hours and i can't seem to get things done. My main issues are not having the time, as when I get home my body can't function due to the travel and long day.

I have to plan lessons, no resources are available so it's taking me 3 hours each lesson, create homework sheets and mark work. I also feel as if I am being left to my own device with no support. I create lessons with just one word given to me. It seems as if I have been set up to fail from the start. What should I do?

P.s. I'm very able and get things done normally, for instance I'm the one to submit an essay before the deadline.

As a last resort, is there any way you could afford to get accommodation nearer to your school? A friend of mine last year was in the same situation, and about half-way through the 2nd placement was assessed as being a "cause for concern". They then got lodgings near their school for in the week and things improved a lot. Before they were travelling an hour and a half each way to school, then coming back exhausted and having a nap before they got on with all the work.

Regarding planning and resources - you say there are no resources and you are unsupported - have you tried asking? I know they should be making the effort to support you, but sometimes I think experienced teachers simply forget how much work planning is at the start. You need to explain how long it's taking you and how you're feeling and see what support they offer, because ultimately that's their role. My first placement school didn't really have any department shared resources, as everyone had their own, so my planning workload was immense. But if I got really stuck, I could always ask "do you have any ideas/resources on ____?" and someone would help me out.

Planning from just a word was normal for me too - on my first placement I was given a list of lesson topics, which went "cinema, inviting people out, making excuses, revising hobbies, past tense, past tense, past tense..." etc. and beyond that I had to work things out myself or ask for advice.

As well as your department, try and get ideas and resources from PGCE colleagues (do you have a subject Facebook group, for example? As NQTs we still use ours to keep in touch and sometimes share lesson ideas) and from TES Resources. They won't usually be exactly what you want, but they can be a basis to adapt and add to.
Original post by myrtille
As a last resort, is there any way you could afford to get accommodation nearer to your school? A friend of mine last year was in the same situation, and about half-way through the 2nd placement was assessed as being a "cause for concern". They then got lodgings near their school for in the week and things improved a lot. Before they were travelling an hour and a half each way to school, then coming back exhausted and having a nap before they got on with all the work.

Regarding planning and resources - you say there are no resources and you are unsupported - have you tried asking? I know they should be making the effort to support you, but sometimes I think experienced teachers simply forget how much work planning is at the start. You need to explain how long it's taking you and how you're feeling and see what support they offer, because ultimately that's their role. My first placement school didn't really have any department shared resources, as everyone had their own, so my planning workload was immense. But if I got really stuck, I could always ask "do you have any ideas/resources on ____?" and someone would help me out.

Planning from just a word was normal for me too - on my first placement I was given a list of lesson topics, which went "cinema, inviting people out, making excuses, revising hobbies, past tense, past tense, past tense..." etc. and beyond that I had to work things out myself or ask for advice.

As well as your department, try and get ideas and resources from PGCE colleagues (do you have a subject Facebook group, for example? As NQTs we still use ours to keep in touch and sometimes share lesson ideas) and from TES Resources. They won't usually be exactly what you want, but they can be a basis to adapt and add to.

Aww thanks for your advice. I did consider moving near to the school it would be ideal but the amount of time I need to move and organise it all would not be worth it and it is expensive. If things do get worse I will need to have a word with university and ask them to help me find a place near the school.

Thanks I'm just constantly hunting resources asking questions. Today I've had to stand up and deliver a PHSE lesson on the spot, no notice nothing. I was given the topic and PowerPoint the second before.

I've spoken to others and they all feel that I've basically been put in a very hard position. At the moment there are many issues too many to list.

I am shocked at what is happening. My first placement was good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
Aww thanks for your advice. I did consider moving near to the school it would be ideal but the amount of time I need to move and organise it all would not be worth it and it is expensive. If things do get worse I will need to have a word with university and ask them to help me find a place near the school.

Thanks I'm just constantly hunting resources asking questions. Today I've had to stand up and deliver a PHSE lesson on the spot, no notice nothing. I was given the topic and PowerPoint the second before.

I've spoken to others and they all feel that I've basically been put in a very hard position. At the moment there are many issues too many to list.

I am shocked at what is happening. My first placement was good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a chat with your tutor at uni and see if they can make sure that you get the support you are entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of job applications, when a post says an application deadline when generally would you expect to hear back after the deadline passes? A school I applied to closed the application process today at 12 and it said if you don't hear from them it means you haven't been invited for interview but when should I assume that applies? Would it be after today has passed or do schools look at all the applications only once the deadline passes and then have a few days deliberating?
Original post by Steveluis10
In terms of job applications, when a post says an application deadline when generally would you expect to hear back after the deadline passes? A school I applied to closed the application process today at 12 and it said if you don't hear from them it means you haven't been invited for interview but when should I assume that applies? Would it be after today has passed or do schools look at all the applications only once the deadline passes and then have a few days deliberating?

The school I applied to waited a week between the deadline and inviting people to interview (as I'm training there at the moment I know that's because everyone in the department gets to look through the applications and have a say on who gets shortlisted). From what I've heard, most schools are a lot quicker than that, so if you have any info about when the interviews are expected to be that might help you judge how long the wait should be.

Entirely depends. I've been rung up on the night of the deadline, on the day after and a few days after.
How long would you say is the longest you usually have to wait and then can think it's a rejection at the first hurdle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
How long would you say is the longest you usually have to wait and then can think it's a rejection at the first hurdle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say if it's been over a week, assume the worst. You may still be pleasantly surprised after that stage, but it's unlikely.

I think most of mine responded in 2-3 days, but there was at least one I pretty much gave up on, then heard from after about a week.
Hmm interesting. I know the interview process is the week beginning the 10th March which is a week on Monday so if I don't hear by Tuesday of this week coming I'll assume I haven't got an interview but can't entirely rule it out going by what you've just said!
Hmm interesting. I know the interview process is the week beginning the 10th March which is a week on Monday so if I don't hear by Tuesday of this week coming I'll assume I haven't got an interview but can't entirely rule it out going by what you've just said!

It is not uncommon for interviews to be offered at extremely short notice as time goes on. I found out about some of my interviews less than 48 hours before! This probably won't be the case yet though - more in May when schools are rushing.
I applied for a job on Tuesday night, closing was Wednesday at 3pm. They called me on Wednesday at 5.30pm offering me an interview for this coming Monday! So quite short notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2955
Good evening guys,

I shall be starting pgce (primary) this September. I've read a few testimonies online and one or two concern me, more particularly pertaining towards time off uni/placements. One or two have said they get no downtime. Now I do fully appreciate I will be working loads at weekends and evenings, but I think people would burn out if they didn't get a decent amount of time away (half terms?).

Can anyone give me ideas on what the year timetable is like, how many assignments you have (word counts where possible) and when you can start applying for employment as an NQT. Assistance from any BGrot students will be particularly useful :-)

thanks in advance
Original post by Ali B
Good evening guys,

I shall be starting pgce (primary) this September. I've read a few testimonies online and one or two concern me, more particularly pertaining towards time off uni/placements. One or two have said they get no downtime. Now I do fully appreciate I will be working loads at weekends and evenings, but I think people would burn out if they didn't get a decent amount of time away (half terms?).

Can anyone give me ideas on what the year timetable is like, how many assignments you have (word counts where possible) and when you can start applying for employment as an NQT. Assistance from any BGrot students will be particularly useful :-)

thanks in advance

You can start applying for employment at any point in the year. Some people get jobs before Christmas.
If you're at BG then you should get half terms. One of my old housemates is currently on the course and she gets the half term off. Some unis do plan study weeks during them though. Bear in mind that you will likely spend a chunk of half term planning and marking in preparation for the week after!
Reply 2957
Original post by Shelly_x
You can start applying for employment at any point in the year. Some people get jobs before Christmas.
If you're at BG then you should get half terms. One of my old housemates is currently on the course and she gets the half term off. Some unis do plan study weeks during them though. Bear in mind that you will likely spend a chunk of half term planning and marking in preparation for the week after!

Haha roger that! I have no doubt I shall be worked to the bone. Just want these milestones away to look forward to. Certain I shall need them!
Reply 2958
Original post by Ali B
Good evening guys,

thanks in advance

I can't speak specifically for BGrot unfortunately but I can give an overview based on my PGCE and others that I've heard about.

Generally you don't get half terms, as you will be in uni during them, but you will get Xmas and Easter holidays and probably finish a bit earlier than the school year in the summer.

Teaching on the whole is all about finding a balance. It is very tough and it takes a lot of practice to get it right. Basically, you need to set time aside and say 'I am doing x with my friend on this date' or 'I am having a day off on the sofa on this date' and then STICK TO IT. The reason it's hard is that there are a lot of time sensitive things in teaching (so we think 'It's urgent, I have to do it' even if it's not necessarily important) and there is ALWAYS something you could do. Always. So the problem is training yourself to take some time off even though there is work you could be doing, and not feeling guilty about it.

Courses are generally organised so that you get appropriate breaks. For example, I had 5 assignments and two tests, one of the assignments being a presentation, one a collection of many short tasks and 3 essays of between 1500 and 3000 words. They were spread across the year and positioned after breaks from placement so you weren't deeply engrossed in planning AND having to write an essay at the same time. Two of them were in December (the collection of tasks and the shortest essay) a couple of weeks after placement finished, one was first week back in Jan, one was after half term a few weeks after placement finished again and the last was first week back after Easter. They also gave us some strategically placed study days so we could use those for assignments and to get a rest.

Primary jobs generally start to come up from around now right through until the end of the year. Pools generally open in Feb(ish) if you want to apply through one.

I would say, don't panic. If teaching is what you want to do then you will get through it. Many of the posts I've read make it sound worse than it was for me personally. I enjoyed the year, I learnt a lot. I still saw friends every now and then and I only had mini-breakdowns 2 or 3 times lol. My relationship wasn't tarnished. I also made some new really good friends who helped me through it all, and had lots of fun in the process! It certainly was extremely tough, probably the hardest thing I've done, but also it was a good year and I remember it fondly, rather than with hatred!

xxx
Been offered my first interview from my first application! A week today :eek: still waiting to hear from the school I really want as the deadline is on Thursday and the interview process is next week as well, possibly even the same day! Will just have to wait and see if I get an offer from there as well and then I'll have to make a tough decision.

Going to research the first school more now and swat up on interview techniques etc. nervous but really pleased that a school liked my application enough to offer me an interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending