The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steveluis10
I have been offered 3 interviews next week!

One on Monday and two on Wednesday.

The one I really want is on Wednesday so going to have to cancel the other interview on that day - what's the etiquette when it comes to doing that? What excuse should I give?

You're doing really well. I've only been invited to one and that's a pool. I feel my statements are letting me down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Steveluis - congrats on the interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2982
Yeah I understand this. The way I see it, if I get a good vibe from the school, my lesson goes well and I get offered the job on Monday then I'll accept and be very pleased that I've impressed them so much and have secured a job. If I don't get it I'll have good experience before Wednesday and will have the chance for feedback as to how I can improve.

Remember most schools will be expecting that you will have applied for multiple jobs so it's not a massive insult that you have another interview. As long as you are open with then and never say you can do something you can't you will be fine.

Original post by qwerty_mad
My mentor sat me down today and told me that she'll be trying to get me into as soon as possible. I'm on the Primary 5-11 route so doing KS1 and KS2. However because the uni found it so difficult to find a KS1 place they put me in Reception. But I'm not suited to it and finding it kinda difficult to adjust. She said she will email my uni to let them know. Will this harm me in any way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it should be fine, you shouldn't really be in early years anyway, so it's not an unreasonable comment for the uni to expect. However, you may find that the uni isn't able to do anything about it... Though a different placement may have come up in the last month or so.

Hope it all gets sorted out, and if you ever want any early years advice feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help!

Original post by JungleeBilli
People, I am currently in a position where pulling all my hair out one by one feels easier than being rejected and doing prep for interviews. So, for all those people that feel the same as me or even worse, can we please have some kind words of advice?? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try thinking of two awesome teachers you know. Imagine if they went for the same post... one of them would be rejected! Rejection is not avoidable in teaching, what's important is that you reflect and learn from it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm yet to go for interview but one thing I was told by someone is if the class has lolly sticks use them. Since it's a secondary school they probably won't but no harm asking. And try to get a few names of the kids in while teaching.

One question. Does your mentor mind you leaving school? I have to tell mine about my interview next week but just worried that it's gonna be a trend - I'm gonna have quite a few interviews. But I guess my mentor should be okay as she should kinda expected it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of the secondary schools I've worked in have used lolly sticks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I think it should be fine, you shouldn't really be in early years anyway, so it's not an unreasonable comment for the uni to expect. However, you may find that the uni isn't able to do anything about it... Though a different placement may have come up in the last month or so.

Hope it all gets sorted out, and if you ever want any early years advice feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the uni will care if the school just move me to KS1. But I really hope my current mentor doesn't tell my KS1 one that I was struggling. I really am not a EYFS practitioner and made this clear to my uni beforehand.

Also, can this be a cause for concern? There's no real ground is there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
You're doing really well. I've only been invited to one and that's a pool. I feel my statements are letting me down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I have to admit I'm surprised to have 3 interviews. The statement is tricky but I was told to make each one personal to the school I'm applying to so read their school website and their Ofsted report and quote from them in your application to show you have actually done a bit of research into the school.

Keep trying, you'll get more. Try and show your statement to a tutor or a teacher if possible so they can give you some tips on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go look at the TES jobseeker blogs. There is some excellent advice on there regarding statements.
Reply 2987
I don't think the uni will care if the school just move me to KS1. But I really hope my current mentor doesn't tell my KS1 one that I was struggling. I really am not a EYFS practitioner and made this clear to my uni beforehand.

Also, can this be a cause for concern? There's no real ground is there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you are being moved to a different placement I don't see why it should be a cause for concern, since the idea is 'If you stay the same you won't pass' and you won't be staying the same if that makes sense!

If you stay on your current placement it's possible they could move it further, though it seems early for a CfC (iirc you only started a few weeks ago). But even if that did happen remember it's meant to be supportive. They'll give you loads of extra help which can only be a good thing to support you in a different environment.

xxx
If a school creates a post with a trainee teacher in mind, do you think they would advertise the position to the public? Do they have to? I just assumed they would have to advertise it even if they knew they wanted the trainee.
Original post by outlaw-torn
If a school creates a post with a trainee teacher in mind, do you think they would advertise the position to the public? Do they have to? I just assumed they would have to advertise it even if they knew they wanted the trainee.

According to Theo (who is in charge of giving out advice on TES Jobseekers) they don't have to advertise by law. However, they pretty much always do advertise. It doesn't have to be nationally though, they might just put the vacancy on their website which obviously won't attract much traffic.
Have my lessons planned for the interview on Monday and Wednesday (Wednesday just a rough plan but fairly happy with it), just need to print out all the resources and do some more prep on the actual interview questions. Feeling nervous but also quite eager to see what the interview process is all about. I haven't taught In 4 weeks as I had half term and time back at Uni so I'm worried I might be rusty but I guess I just have to hide my nerves and try and make the lesson engaging and get the pupils to evidence progression in their learning.
When do you expect most jobs for September will start appearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things start getting busier from around now.

Last year I had my first interview in February, then 3 interviews in March, then another 4 in May.

There's a bit of a mad rush in May due to the deadline for teachers handing their notice in at May half-term. I ended up having 2 interviews (well, 1 interview and 1 informal chat) on the same day on the last Thursday before half-term, and being offered both jobs, which was a bit nuts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your subject. I'm teaching English and have been attending interviews since January. The 'peak' period for jobs starts about now until about June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm primary in the north east and have so far applied for 3, discounted 5 and am currently sifting through about 15 more adverts deciding which ones I am interested in / suited to.

They've really picked up in the past week or two and I'm seeing far fewer April starts and more September starts now.
Yeah there's quite a lot of September starts. In the North West (where I'm looking) for secondary English there's currently around 80 odd jobs with the majority being September starts.

I suppose the downside to interviews now is that you could be in competition with experienced teachers still whereas from May it will just be NQTs and teachers not on permanent contracts.
...whereas from May it will just be NQTs and teachers not on permanent contracts.

Why's that? And when's that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why's that? And when's that from?

May half-term is the deadline for teachers handing their notice in.

So if you're already in a job, you can't go to any interviews after then, because you wouldn't be able to leave your current job to start a new one in September.

So the couple of weeks before May half-term are pretty busy with interviews as schools have a more limited pool of applicants to pick from if they wait any longer. But obviously any teachers who get jobs during the May rush then hand their notice in and the post is advertised during/after the half-term so NQTs can go for those too.
Original post by myrtille
May half-term is the deadline for teachers handing their notice in.

So if you're already in a job, you can't go to any interviews after then, because you wouldn't be able to leave your current job to start a new one in September.

So the couple of weeks before May half-term are pretty busy with interviews as schools have a more limited pool of applicants to pick from if they wait any longer. But obviously any teachers who get jobs during the May rush then hand their notice in and the post is advertised during/after the half-term so NQTs can go for those too.

Okay I see, really explains it. Looks like I'll be having to wait until May. Because I don't think I'll be beating a more experienced applicant to any post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't put yourself down. A lot of the schools I'm interested in specifically want NQTs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending