The Student Room Group

23, going to uni next year, what should I do regarding references?

It's been 5 years since I left college so I doubt they'll remember me too well, especially as I didn't exactly set the world alight grade-wise. Would they still offer me some sort of stock reference or would they be happy to look back at any records and write one up for me personally still?

I have my current employer, but with my job not really relating to what I want to do at uni I'm not sure what to do exactly.

I guess I could send both? Anyone been in this sort of predicament before?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
Of course they're going to remember who you are. You're JACKIE CHAN!!!!!!!
Reply 2
I am wondering the same, looking to apply to uni for sept 2014 and I was last there when i graduated in 2004, left school in 2000, so really stuck on what to do for a reference. Don't even have an employer as I'm a self employed childminder!
Reply 3
Original post by hazelg
I am wondering the same, looking to apply to uni for sept 2014 and I was last there when i graduated in 2004, left school in 2000, so really stuck on what to do for a reference. Don't even have an employer as I'm a self employed childminder!

Hi Hazel, what did you do in the end? I'm making a late application but also stumped on this. I'm self-employed in contractual work so I don't work with clients for more than a few weeks - hardly enough time for them to assess my suitability for a degree! The only suitable person I know is also my landlady so that just ain't gonna fly...
Reply 4
Original post by MollyApple
Hi Hazel, what did you do in the end? I'm making a late application but also stumped on this. I'm self-employed in contractual work so I don't work with clients for more than a few weeks - hardly enough time for them to assess my suitability for a degree! The only suitable person I know is also my landlady so that just ain't gonna fly...

Hi I volunteer on the committee of a local childrens charity and the manager there gave me a reference, not had a reply from uni yet so no idea if it was good enough!
Reply 5
Original post by hazelg
Hi I volunteer on the committee of a local childrens charity and the manager there gave me a reference, not had a reply from uni yet so no idea if it was good enough!

Thanks for the reply :smile: I've worked with a youth theatre for a few years so I think I might try that route too. Best of luck, I hope you hear soon with a yes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending