The Student Room Group

Changing from full time to part time 2022-23

Hi Sfe, I have been studying for a BSc in computer science with goldsmiths university of London. It is a distance learning program.

I started in October of 2021 on a performance based entry. Meaning I had to pass two modules before being invited on to a full time study.

I passed the two modules in march 22 and then got invited to continue but messed up the student loans application. So had to wait until October 22 to start the next modules. I applied and was granted a full time study student loans for 22-23 and completed the 60 credits for he oct to march period then un registering for April to sept found I could only register for 30 credits of the 60 max as due to the performance based 30 credit modules I didn't have all the prerequisites to start on the level 5 modules. This meant that I only had studied for 90 of the 105 minimum credits to count as full time.

I have been told by sfe when I have called them that the uni should be able to change mode but the uni has said this is incorrect. I can't use a c01 as there is no option in section 4 for to change to part time and I obviously can't reapply as I have already applied and been granted a tuition fee loan for 22-23.

Could someone please advise on what I should do?

Kind regards, Luke
Original post by barracuda816
Hi Sfe, I have been studying for a BSc in computer science with goldsmiths university of London. It is a distance learning program.

I started in October of 2021 on a performance based entry. Meaning I had to pass two modules before being invited on to a full time study.

I passed the two modules in march 22 and then got invited to continue but messed up the student loans application. So had to wait until October 22 to start the next modules. I applied and was granted a full time study student loans for 22-23 and completed the 60 credits for he oct to march period then un registering for April to sept found I could only register for 30 credits of the 60 max as due to the performance based 30 credit modules I didn't have all the prerequisites to start on the level 5 modules. This meant that I only had studied for 90 of the 105 minimum credits to count as full time.

I have been told by sfe when I have called them that the uni should be able to change mode but the uni has said this is incorrect. I can't use a c01 as there is no option in section 4 for to change to part time and I obviously can't reapply as I have already applied and been granted a tuition fee loan for 22-23.

Could someone please advise on what I should do?

Kind regards, Luke

Hi Luke, we can't access accounts on this platform so we can check your application and assist you further please call us on 0300 100 0607 or use the live chat in your account and we'll be able to assist. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Luke, we can't access accounts on this platform so we can check your application and assist you further please call us on 0300 100 0607 or use the live chat in your account and we'll be able to assist. Thanks, Jason

No problem, are you able to give general advice on what I should do as I have spent hours on the phone and can't seem to get anywhere. The first time I was told the uni should handle it. The uni said this was wrong. The second time I was told to fill out a C01. This doesn't actually give me the option to keep the same course but change to part time. And the third time I was told to write a note and fill in an application form and send it via the post. This sounds like they didn't know what I should do and just mugged me off. The uni has given me 30 days to get it sorted, that was already 5 days ago but this problem was on going since June.
Reply 3
It also sucks that there is no email option to contact sfe. Telephone is fine when it's a simple issue but without a history of what has been tried or when a bit of back and fourth is needed the telephone option doesn't work. Not to mention the wait times are terrible.
Reply 4
Also I have never seen the live option come up. I have noted it shows when there are available advisors, this suggests to me there are nowhere near enough advisors employed.
No problem, are you able to give general advice on what I should do as I have spent hours on the phone and can't seem to get anywhere. The first time I was told the uni should handle it. The uni said this was wrong. The second time I was told to fill out a C01. This doesn't actually give me the option to keep the same course but change to part time. And the third time I was told to write a note and fill in an application form and send it via the post. This sounds like they didn't know what I should do and just mugged me off. The uni has given me 30 days to get it sorted, that was already 5 days ago but this problem was on going since June.

Hi there,

We can certainly try to help you here. So, what exactly does your university want you to do? Do they want you to re-apply to us as a part-time student? Or, are they happy for you to keep your full-time application as it is?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 6
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

We can certainly try to help you here. So, what exactly does your university want you to do? Do they want you to re-apply to us as a part-time student? Or, are they happy for you to keep your full-time application as it is?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,
Thanks for your message. They want me to either change the classification of my student loans application from full time to part time or reapply for a part time student loan. They have taken the payments for all the semesters except the last as It was the last semester that I could study only 30 credits not the full 60 for that period.
Hi Graeme,
Thanks for your message. They want me to either change the classification of my student loans application from full time to part time or reapply for a part time student loan. They have taken the payments for all the semesters except the last as It was the last semester that I could study only 30 credits not the full 60 for that period.

Okay, thanks - last of all, is it the 23/24 year they want you to do this for, or 22/23?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
It's the 22/23 year.
Kind regards, Luke
It's the 22/23 year.
Kind regards, Luke

Thanks for confirming this - since you already have a 22/23 application you need to use a paper form to apply for funding as a part-time student. So, you can post this form to us as soon as possible:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1155590/sfe_ptmn_form_2324_o.pdf

Just to say, we can't access your account on social media, so we can't say for sure that this is the correct thing to do here. However, if this is what your university has told you to do then that should be correct.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending