The Student Room Group

1st year FAM student University of Nottingham

Im currently in my first year studying FAM and Notts Uni and I'm really struggling. I literally cannot cope with the workload and having 6 modules in a semester. In my first semester results I got a 2.2 but did literally last min revision the week before each exam.
I've just got to the point where I want to transfer uni's as I'm so scared of wasting so much money to fail my degree.

Is there anyone that feels the same, or any 2nd/3rd year FAM students at Notts that can tell me what 2nd/3rd year is like compared to 1st year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is that Accounts, Finance and Management? I currently got an offer for that course and i wanted to know what is it like? I'm sorry I'm unable to help you.
Reply 2
Original post by MominK
Is that Accounts, Finance and Management? I currently got an offer for that course and i wanted to know what is it like? I'm sorry I'm unable to help you.

Yeah it is, and it's difficult... If you're looking to go Notts to party and have great social life I would not recommend! The work load is massive, I'm currently looking at switching uni's.
Reply 3
Oh no.. That was one of the few reasons i thought of to firm that offer LOL. How many exams did you do in January?
Reply 4
Original post by MominK
Oh no.. That was one of the few reasons i thought of to firm that offer LOL. How many exams did you do in January?

I had only 4 in January, but 6 this summer. The exams were really hard, on one of them almost 40% of the course failed. If I was you I'd definitely look at other unis which have less modules, I'm looking at Liverpool and Sheffield now, or even a poly as they offer a year in industry, you should too, especially if you want to party! My timetable is full too, I only have one day off. At a-level I got 2 A*s and an A in relevant subjects and I think the workload is too much :smile:
What I'm not understanding is your statement 'I literally cannot cope with the workload' and yet you admitted to studying only a week in advance of your exams.

I did Engineering in university and I did 6 modules per semester.. surely accounting at Nottingham University isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. You'll just need to put more time into your studies.. moderate the amount you go out and organise your time better.
This business of having "6 modules a semester" is a bit of a nonsense and reminds me of the old joke about a person wanting his pizza cut into 4 because he wasn't hungry enough to eat 8. Students at one university (e.g. the LSE) may take 4 modules a year, at another (Bath) it might be 6 per semester, but the 'module count' by no means implies Bath's course as the harder.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel
This business of having "6 modules a semester" is a bit of a nonsense and reminds me of the old joke about a person wanting his pizza cut into 4 because he wasn't hungry enough to eat 8. Students at one university (e.g. the LSE) may take 4 modules a year, at another (Bath) it might be 6 per semester, but the 'module count' by no means implies Bath's course as the harder.

I'd much rather have 3/4 solid accounting modules than 6 which include subjects such as psychology...

I'm afraid the logic doesn't quite work like that. Different subjects at different universities command different levels of intensity. I'm pretty sure a medical student has to do more work in order to pass than your typical LSE student who is likely a social science/humanities student. The medical student does more subjects per term and also has to sit more exams.

Your logic only makes sense if you're comparing the same subjects, which wasn't what I was getting at in my earlier post. But even then it depends on the university. Maths at Cambridge is harder than maths at the LSE, for instance.
Original post by cjexx
I had only 4 in January, but 6 this summer. The exams were really hard, on one of them almost 40% of the course failed. If I was you I'd definitely look at other unis which have less modules, I'm looking at Liverpool and Sheffield now, or even a poly as they offer a year in industry, you should too, especially if you want to party! My timetable is full too, I only have one day off. At a-level I got 2 A*s and an A in relevant subjects and I think the workload is too much :smile:

What A-Level subjects did you do?
Original post by Roronoa
I'm afraid the logic doesn't quite work like that.

surely obviously it does.

Suppose this lass has modules in management accounting and financial accounting. These are two modules. If another university calls it 'financial and managerial accounting' for one module, that is not easier if it covers the same workload. Different universities will have different ways of carving it up but if the Nottingham Business School decided to divide its courses again, such that her 6 modules became 12, it would be no harder than having 6.

You mentioned Cambridge. In year 2 of the natural sciences course students make 3 option choices to study for the whole year. Only 3! Pah! It has surely got to be a piece of piss compared with FAM at Notts where they do 6 per semester.

The Bath degrees are famously bitty. The LSE courses are chunky. The number doesn't matter.
(edited 9 years ago)

Original post by cjexx
I'd much rather have 3/4 solid accounting modules than 6 which include subjects such as psychology...

I have sympathy with the OP. I have had two modules this term that are 10 credits which meant I had 4 modules in total. I work equally hard for the 10 credit modules as I do the 20 credit modules. Usually for humanities courses one would take 3 20 credit modules.

In my first year I had 6 modules a term and it definitely felt like I had more work in the first year than this year (my second year).

OP how many assessments do you have per module?
Reply 12
Original post by Meat is Murder
I have sympathy with the OP. I have had two modules this term that are 10 credits which meant I had 4 modules in total. I work equally hard for the 10 credit modules as I do the 20 credit modules. Usually for humanities courses one would take 3 20 credit modules.

In my first year I had 6 modules a term and it definitely felt like I had more work in the first year than this year (my second year).

OP how many assessments do you have per module?

This semester, 6 exams... 4 of which are within the space of 4 days :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Melon girl
What A-Level subjects did you do?

Accounting, Business and English
Reply 14

Suppose this lass has modules in management accounting and financial accounting. These are two modules. If another university calls it 'financial and managerial accounting' for one module, that is not easier if it covers the same workload. Different universities will have different ways of carving it up but if the Nottingham Business School decided to divide its courses again, such that her 6 modules became 12, it would be no harder than having 6.

You mentioned Cambridge. In part ii of the natural sciences course, students make 3 option choices to study for the whole year. Only 3! Pah! It has surely got to be a piece of piss compared with FAM at Notts where they do 6 per semester.

The Bath degrees are famously bitty. The LSE courses are chunky. The number doesn't matter.

I totally agree, this semester I have modules in accounting, finance, law, psychology, economics and maths. I'd much rather have 3 solid modules instead!! :smile:
Reply 15
If it makes you feel better, we have six modules too (Bath). Law, Accounting & Organisations, Macroeconomics, Business Computing, Corporate Finance, and International Financial Markets. It's tough going; but I guess first year is to learn how to adjust and deal with the workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I don't think you should quit if it is because you find it hard, I am sure you can do well. Just try a little bit harder.. Hope it goes well
Original post by cjexx
Im currently in my first year studying FAM and Notts Uni and I'm really struggling. I literally cannot cope with the workload and having 6 modules in a semester. In my first semester results I got a 2.2 but did literally last min revision the week before each exam.
I've just got to the point where I want to transfer uni's as I'm so scared of wasting so much money to fail my degree.

Is there anyone that feels the same, or any 2nd/3rd year FAM students at Notts that can tell me what 2nd/3rd year is like compared to 1st year?

Original post by Squirb
If it makes you feel better, we have six modules too (Bath). Law, Accounting & Organisations, Macroeconomics, Business Computing, Corporate Finance, and International Financial Markets. It's tough going; but I guess first year is to learn how to adjust and deal with the workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I missed a significant detail: you guys are first years!

Of course you are doing more modules! I had 6 per term in my first year which has gone down to an optional 4 or 3! Don't change unis OP on this basis.

You mentioned Cambridge. In year 2 of the natural sciences course students make 3 option choices to study for the whole year. Only 3! Pah! It has surely got to be a piece of piss compared with FAM at Notts where they do 6 per semester.

You've completely missed my point. But never mind.
Reply 19
Looking to go into Notts FAM over Manchester. Hoping to hear more views from 2nd/3rd year FAM students...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending