The Student Room Group

Was there any homophobia during your secondary or college years?

I'm wondering though, as the title mentions, was there any homophobia during your secondary or college years?

Scroll to see replies

There was a lot in secondary school, both from people who were just being intolerant and people who turned out to be gay themselves.
Not that I ever saw. Although was too afraid to come out (mostly just because of society). The overall environment was good, so lon as you were liked LOL. I remember one cute guy coming out as bi and I was like "**** I wish I was that brave". That was the extent of my awe as a child. Awe for bravery of someone accepting themselves. How depressing lol

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
yep, started in year 8, coming up to the end of year 13 and it's still happening, it doesn't bother me any more it's boring
Reply 4
No in real life, I have never came across any homophobics.
Reply 5
Original post by shrn
No in real life, I have never came across any homophobics.

That's because the vast majority of them wouldn't dare let their views be known by other 'real' people, because they know they'll get ridiculed and quickly lose an argument if someone injects any common sense or logic.
Reply 6
Ofcourse; in every corner and shadow if you were gay you'd hear battyboi fi dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Noble.
That's because the vast majority of them wouldn't dare let their views be known by other 'real' people, because they know they'll get ridiculed and quickly lose an argument if someone injects any common sense or logic.

I thought about that actually, but I think my school has a greater sense of community than there is with people of hatred, ignorance and a sense in need to discriminate others. We have gays in my school, everyone gets along with them just like other students would. Even though some students parents, especially the more religious ones, don't accept it I would have to say none of the students are homophobic.
The world is changing, I think people are more accepting now than they were a decade ago.

I won't lie though there have been people who questioned about it, but they never had signs of being against LGBT.
Reply 8
Original post by shrn
I thought about that actually, but I think my school has a greater sense of community than there is with people of hatred, ignorance and a sense in need to discriminate others. We have gays in my school, everyone gets along with them just like other students would. Even though some students parents, especially the more religious ones, don't accept it I would have to say none of the students are homophobic.
The world is changing, I think people are more accepting now than they were a decade ago.

I won't lie though there have been people who questioned about it, but they never had signs of being against LGBT.

Of course, it's natural for people to be intrigued by the differences between them and other people, so questions are quite normal. From my own experience at university (and college), no-one really cares what you are. Plenty of people are open about their sexuality and it's such a non-issue, largely because it's irrelevant, but also because there's much better things to spend time on and worry about.
Reply 9
Original post by Noble.
Of course, it's natural for people to be intrigued by the differences between them and other people, so questions are quite normal. From my own experience at university (and college), no-one really cares what you are. Plenty of people are open about their sexuality and it's such a non-issue, largely because it's irrelevant, but also because there's much better things to spend time on and worry about.

Thats true, its quite irrelevant and no one really needs to know or worry about it. They're still human, just with different likings when it comes to relationship.
Reply 10
It was rife at my school. Mind you I come from a fairly Neanderthal area. No one would have chosen to come out then. And I don't even think homophobic abuse would have been considered bullying. Hopefully that institution has moved on..
Reply 11
Original post by Zarek
It was rife at my school. Mind you I come from a fairly Neanderthal area. No one would have chosen to come out then. And I don't even think homophobic abuse would have been considered bullying. Hopefully that institution has moved on..

TBH, I'm wondering where exactly this place really is...
Reply 12
In my school people enjoyed putting others down. They weren't necessarily homophobic, but as soon as they felt someone was gay and ashamed of it that person would get crap for it. They just smelt your weakness and exploited it.
Not really I only know of two girls that were homophobic
Original post by Noble.
Why do you hope it grows? There's nothing wrong with being gay, in fact, if it means there's less idiots like yourself, reproducing more idiots, homosexuality should be encouraged.

Hey, homosexuals can be morons too :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by William Turtle
Hey, homosexuals can be morons too :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't imagine it's very likely a gay couple raise a child to be ignorant, closed-minded and to discriminate based on pointless criteria (e.g. race, sexuality).
Reply 16
It was awful in my secondary school. Somebody I know quite well came out as gay and on one occasion he had quite horrible things shouted at him whilst he was in our local town centre with his mother and little brother by people from our school.

In year 11, somebody from my friendship group came out as bisexual and whilst our most in our group didn't care an idiot did leave our group because of it. I can remember people would just go up to him and quiz him about why he likes "c**k", as if it was some kind of a joke. He went back into the closet...

I haven't really seen any homophobic behaviour whilst at college, except the incessant use of the word 'gay' to describe things that are bad.
Very little at secondary school, perhaps because no-one came out.
Reply 18
Original post by Marcum

It was awful in my secondary school. Somebody I know quite well came out as gay and on one occasion he had quite horrible things shouted at him whilst he was in our local town centre with his mother and little brother by people from our school.

Owh, goodness. Whatever happened to him? :frown:

In year 11, somebody from my friendship group came out as bisexual and whilst our most in our group didn't care an idiot did leave our group because of it. I can remember people would just go up to him and quiz him about why he likes "c**k", as if it was some kind of a joke. He went back into the closet...

Poor lad : (

Are you still in touch with any one of them?
Reply 19
There was plenty of it during secondary school, and as a result not a single person out of the 300 people in my year was able to come out. I get the same bus as a lot of secondary school kids and I hear a fair amount of it from them.

I'm in sixth form at the moment and homophobia's very rare. One guy is homophobic as a result of being Christian, and everyone ridicules him for it. Another guy is just a ****, and I wish he was dead. He was my best friend in primary school, we lost contact in secondary school years and we're now going to the same sixth form, and he hit me the other day for being gay. I came out last year in lower sixth and since then have experienced very little homophobia; just this ex-friend, and some of his friends have jeered at me for it. But yeah, pretty much none really :smile: quite the opposite really, once I came out there were a lot of people, even those who had been hostile to me in the past, being nice and supportive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending