The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Ahhhh I have a Goldsmiths interview tomorrow! Does anyone know what questions they ask? Or what kind of work they're interested in? My work is here www.roisincreanart.tumblr.com
Original post by omifeeney
Yeah it is :/ I feel totally unprepared, i came off my bike on sunday and have been in bed since. But my boyfriend is taking me and carrying my portfolio, which is nice of him. Just have to wing it and hope they're not too cruel! What will be will be! :smile:

Oh no, hope you weren't too badly injured. At least you have your boyfriend for support. (both moral and physical) :smile:
Good luck.

Original post by roisin123456
Ahhhh I have a Goldsmiths interview tomorrow! Does anyone know what questions they ask? Or what kind of work they're interested in? My work is here www.roisincreanart.tumblr.com

Good luck! Most peoples interview experiences have been very different so it's hard to say what questions they will ask you. If you go back through the last few pages of this thread you can see some of the questions they asked people during last weeks interviews.
Goldsmiths are known for conceptual work, so I think your work would fit in.
Reply 522
Original post by HelveticaBold
Oh no, hope you weren't too badly injured. At least you have your boyfriend for support. (both moral and physical) :smile:
Good luck.

Good luck! Most peoples interview experiences have been very different so it's hard to say what questions they will ask you. If you go back through the last few pages of this thread you can see some of the questions they asked people during last weeks interviews.
Goldsmiths are known for conceptual work, so I think your work would fit in.

No I'm ok, I was fortunate not to break anything and I was wearing a helmet. Just cuts and bruises but I scraped one side of my face so not looking my best. Last interview though so looking forward to it being over!
Reply 523
Yeah it is :/ I feel totally unprepared, i came off my bike on sunday and have been in bed since. But my boyfriend is taking me and carrying my portfolio, which is nice of him. Just have to wing it and hope they're not too cruel! What will be will be! :smile:

sorry about your bike accident :frown:

all the best of luck.. let us know how it went :smile:
:smile:
Reply 524
Is anybody else still waiting to hear back from the Slade?
Original post by ART1

I think mmarian is still waiting. I'm sure you're not the only one. Good luck!
Reply 526
Original post by HelveticaBold
I think mmarian is still waiting. I'm sure you're not the only one. Good luck!

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one!
I think I must be the most impatient person ever :') I hope Goldsmiths replies soon I want to sort my bloody accommodation out haha.
Reply 528
Original post by ART1

I am still waiting! It's driving me mad. I might phone them tomorrow...
Reply 529
I was thinking about phoning them too, but they'll probably just tell us that they have sent out all responses to ucas. Not sure, may be worth a shot but might just have to wait a little longer! They could respond tomorrow. Are you on foundation?
Reply 530
Original post by ART1
I was thinking about phoning them too, but they'll probably just tell us that they have sent out all responses to ucas. Not sure, may be worth a shot but might just have to wait a little longer! They could respond tomorrow. Are you on foundation?

Original post by mmariann
I am still waiting! It's driving me mad. I might phone them tomorrow...

Fingers crossed that no news= good news for you guys! :smile:
Reply 531
'Do you not think that if your work was in a building site that people would step over it thinking it was a pile of ****?'
Interesting interview to say the least! The student was nice and didn't say a lot, one of the tutors loved everything, and the other one absolutely slated everything. At least they were sympathetic about my injuries! Said they'd take two weeks to let me know their decisions, which is a goldsmiths two weeks so probably three or four.
Reply 532
Original post by sr211
sorry about your bike accident :frown:

all the best of luck.. let us know how it went :smile:
:smile:

ah thank you, it's fine actually, it was just a shock. Some forced rest has been good too.

The student didn't say much at all, one tutor loved everything and the other tore everything to shreds, so impossible to say how it went really! :wink:
Reply 533
ah thank you, it's fine actually, it was just a shock. Some forced rest has been good too.

The student didn't say much at all, one tutor loved everything and the other tore everything to shreds, so impossible to say how it went really! :wink:

Ah, typical of art interviews... but i'm sure u did well.

Fingers crossed.
do u know when will they send u their decision?
Reply 534

Wow how do you know she loved it all? Mine were both really impartial - just questioned everything! :/

I've never had any really positive comments in an interview, like " wow that's great" or " how interesting"

They just acknowledged and questioned everything! Maybe this is a bad sign!? As it always happened in 6 fine art interviews I've done - I thought it was normal! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 535
Original post by arty
Wow how do you know she loved it all? Mine were both really impartial - just questioned everything! :/

I've never had any really positive comments in an interview, like " wow that's great" or " how interesting"

They just acknowledged and questioned everything! Maybe this is a bad sign!? As it always happened in 6 fine art interviews I've done - I thought it was normal! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they was really positive about everything and she defended the work and said things like 'I disagree' and 'I really like it' while the other one ripped it. Overall it was quite comical. Hard to tell how it went though.

My interviews were all very different. At Chelsea the guy didn't give away anything but at Camberwell the course leader told me I had a strong portfolio, and I could tell she was responding well.

We'll just have to wait and see. I have other offers so I'm not THAT bothered. If they reject me then i'll just assume they don't think that I would be best suited to the course and that I'd be better off at another college.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 536
Original post by sr211
Ah, typical of art interviews... but i'm sure u did well.

Fingers crossed.
do u know when will they send u their decision?

First one I've had like that so it was a bit strange! They told me 2 weeks, but I have a feeling it will be longer!
'Do you not think that if your work was in a building site that people would step over it thinking it was a pile of ****?'
Interesting interview to say the least! The student was nice and didn't say a lot, one of the tutors loved everything, and the other one absolutely slated everything. At least they were sympathetic about my injuries! Said they'd take two weeks to let me know their decisions, which is a goldsmiths two weeks so probably three or four.

Was that a question they asked you? What a strange thing to say haha :') at least the interview went well for you and it seems it went well. The student I had in my joint honours was rather quiet and in the single honours she seemed impressed with my explanations so I hopefully have her fighting in my corner haha but the tutors were really nice as well.

I hope they don't take that long haha I can't stand the lengthy waits and we've got student finance and accommodation stuff to sort! But well done :smile:
Reply 538
Original post by AndyHoccom
Was that a question they asked you? What a strange thing to say haha :') at least the interview went well for you and it seems it went well. The student I had in my joint honours was rather quiet and in the single honours she seemed impressed with my explanations so I hopefully have her fighting in my corner haha but the tutors were really nice as well.

I hope they don't take that long haha I can't stand the lengthy waits and we've got student finance and accommodation stuff to sort! But well done :smile:

Yep the guy did. When he saw the first piece he said 'Don't you think this is the kind of thing you would see in a hotel lobby?' and he kept saying how ridiculous some of the group performative pieces were because people were laughing and grinning at the camera, at this point I questioned him and said 'Well can art not be playful?' and 'Have you not seen Marvin Gaye Chetwynd's performances?' to which he (finally) backed down. The lady said he hadn't seen performance like it either but that she really liked it so hopefully I pulled it off and he was just winding me up but he was pretty harsh!

It was interesting as the (constructive) questions they asked me weren't really about concept/themes. Perhaps my explanations were adequate, who knows! I doubt they'll be speedy considering how long they took to respond to the e portfolios haha. Good luck though! What course would you choose if you had both offers?
Reply 539
Original post by LiamDunne
I'm waiting for Goldsmiths, guessing it will be next week I hear? Quiet interview, here is my online portfolio (a lot are works in progress that I finished in time for the interview and I took other work as well) https://www.flickr.com/photos/liamdunneart/

I had my interview today and they'd let me know by 2 weeks so I'd say probably next week or the week after, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest