The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by omifeeney
Yep the guy did. When he saw the first piece he said 'Don't you think this is the kind of thing you would see in a hotel lobby?' and he kept saying how ridiculous some of the group performative pieces were because people were laughing and grinning at the camera, at this point I questioned him and said 'Well can art not be playful?' and 'Have you not seen Marvin Gaye Chetwynd's performances?' to which he (finally) backed down. The lady said he hadn't seen performance like it either but that she really liked it so hopefully I pulled it off and he was just winding me up but he was pretty harsh!

It was interesting as the (constructive) questions they asked me weren't really about concept/themes. Perhaps my explanations were adequate, who knows! I doubt they'll be speedy considering how long they took to respond to the e portfolios haha. Good luck though! What course would you choose if you had both offers?

I have to say that's pretty kick ass haha :') because to be able to not only answer their questions but challenging their opinions as well shows you have no fear in being able to defend your work. I had a female tutor do the same to me and she asked me a question in the hope I'd agree but I straight up said that I completely disagreed with her opinion which felt bloody brilliant.

Now we just have to wait but I'm in the same boat haha I have offers from other places and I'm not confident but I really hope I get a place. I think if I was to get an offer for both I'd take the single honours as I'd have more time to just sit in my studio and make art :smile:
Reply 541
Original post by AndyHoccom
I have to say that's pretty kick ass haha :') because to be able to not only answer their questions but challenging their opinions as well shows you have no fear in being able to defend your work. I had a female tutor do the same to me and she asked me a question in the hope I'd agree but I straight up said that I completely disagreed with her opinion which felt bloody brilliant.

Now we just have to wait but I'm in the same boat haha I have offers from other places and I'm not confident but I really hope I get a place. I think if I was to get an offer for both I'd take the single honours as I'd have more time to just sit in my studio and make art :smile:

Haha, well I really think he was just trying to be difficult! He seemed to have a real problem with performance being playful which I couldn't understand. Awh well done.

Well fingers crossed for you. Where else do you have offers from? And yeah, I did like the sound of the joint honours but it seemed like a huge workload. Do you remember how many tutorials they said you can have on the single honours? I thought it was one a fortnight but I'm not sure.
Reply 542

And you should be confident, sounds like both your interviews went really well :smile:
Reply 543
Haha, well I really think he was just trying to be difficult! He seemed to have a real problem with performance being playful which I couldn't understand. Awh well done.

Well fingers crossed for you. Where else do you have offers from? And yeah, I did like the sound of the joint honours but it seemed like a huge workload. Do you remember how many tutorials they said you can have on the single honours? I thought it was one a fortnight but I'm not sure.

By any chance was the guy somewhat short, and bald-ish (and not a million miles away in looks from stanley tucci), and the other tutor a foreign woman? The guy I had was similarly trying to put things down!

Haha I think the tutor was a bit taken back when I said that I don't mind if peoples thoughts and interpretations of my work wasn't something it should be. I just said I prefer my work to be subjective as it allows the viewer to make their own connection to the work instead of me trying to take a form of authority and tell them.

I've been offered a place at Wimbledon for Fine art sculpture and at Westminster for Fine art which I'm pretty happy with but it isn't Goldsmiths haha :'). From what I can remember I think that's about right. I think the student in my interview said something about a seminar a week or every fortnight one of the two.
Reply 545
Original post by Zoeah
By any chance was the guy somewhat short, and bald-ish (and not a million miles away in looks from stanley tucci), and the other tutor a foreign woman? The guy I had was similarly trying to put things down!

Yes he was! He did seem deliberately difficult so I didn't take it too personally. The lady sounded english to me but I can't be completely sure!
Reply 546
Haha I think the tutor was a bit taken back when I said that I don't mind if peoples thoughts and interpretations of my work wasn't something it should be. I just said I prefer my work to be subjective as it allows the viewer to make their own connection to the work instead of me trying to take a form of authority and tell them.

I've been offered a place at Wimbledon for Fine art sculpture and at Westminster for Fine art which I'm pretty happy with but it isn't Goldsmiths haha :'). From what I can remember I think that's about right. I think the student in my interview said something about a seminar a week or every fortnight one of the two.

Well all art is subjective, whether people like it or not, so it's better to just except that!

Would you accept Wimbledon over Westminster? I'm sure you'll have offers from Goldsmiths though :smile:
Original post by Zoeah

That's who I had! He didn't put my work down, but didn't seem to care much about anything.
I think maybe they realised pretty quickly that I wasn't who they were looking for.
'Do you not think that if your work was in a building site that people would step over it thinking it was a pile of ****?'
Interesting interview to say the least! The student was nice and didn't say a lot, one of the tutors loved everything, and the other one absolutely slated everything. At least they were sympathetic about my injuries! Said they'd take two weeks to let me know their decisions, which is a goldsmiths two weeks so probably three or four.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. They were probably just trying to see your reaction.
I was hoping we'd hear this week. :/
Reply 549
Original post by HelveticaBold
Wow, that's pretty harsh. They were probably just trying to see your reaction.
I was hoping we'd hear this week. :/

It was kind of ok actually because he was so irritating i could tell he was doing it deliberately and I laughed at most of his responses!
Maybe you will, they could be letting people know systematically after their interviews. But I would have thought they'd want to interview everyone first.
Reply 550
'Do you not think that if your work was in a building site that people would step over it thinking it was a pile of ****?'
Interesting interview to say the least! The student was nice and didn't say a lot, one of the tutors loved everything, and the other one absolutely slated everything. At least they were sympathetic about my injuries! Said they'd take two weeks to let me know their decisions, which is a goldsmiths two weeks so probably three or four.

To me it sounds like you had a very interesting interview. Is it your first choice?

I'm at the point where I'm really curious to know the result of my interview, and I'm considering waiting for a reply from Goldsmiths because it was such a strange, intense interview. However, 2+ weeks is just too long for me, given how it's not my first choice and would like to just be able to get on with everything.

Considering whether to just firm Slade and put CSM as my insurance in the next few days, and cut Goldsmiths out of the picture completely... What do you think? Sort of need a second opinion
Reply 551
Original post by Zoeah
To me it sounds like you had a very interesting interview. Is it your first choice?

I'm at the point where I'm really curious to know the result of my interview, and I'm considering waiting for a reply from Goldsmiths because it was such a strange, intense interview. However, 2+ weeks is just too long for me, given how it's not my first choice and would like to just be able to get on with everything.

Considering whether to just firm Slade and put CSM as my insurance in the next few days, and cut Goldsmiths out of the picture completely... What do you think? Sort of need a second opinion

I'm not sure :/ I'm tossing between Goldsmiths and Camberwell at the moment, in a sense I wouldn't mind too much if I got rejected from Goldsmiths because I'm really torn and it would make the decision for me.

From everything I've heard, Camberwell is a lot more supported and there is more tutor contact, I want an independent course but I'm not sure which would be better for me, I had a gut feeling about Goldsmiths but I've heard very mixed things about it, and pretty much only good about Camberwell. However Camberwell don't have a general Fine Art course which I would prefer. I'm really stuck! I just don't want to start at one uni and wish I went to the other :/

If I was you I'd just firm Slade. I'm sure you've got into Goldsmiths, but if you're certain that Slade is your first choice then it seems irrelevant now? All it would be is a confidence boost, but it wouldn't be greater than the one you got from the offer from Slade so would it matter? If you're still unsure about your first choice then I would wait it out, but if you're completely certain then there seems little point in hanging around for Goldsmiths.
Reply 552
I'm not sure :/ I'm tossing between Goldsmiths and Camberwell at the moment, in a sense I wouldn't mind too much if I got rejected from Goldsmiths because I'm really torn and it would make the decision for me.

From everything I've heard, Camberwell is a lot more supported and there is more tutor contact, I want an independent course but I'm not sure which would be better for me, I had a gut feeling about Goldsmiths but I've heard very mixed things about it, and pretty much only good about Camberwell. However Camberwell don't have a general Fine Art course which I would prefer. I'm really stuck! I just don't want to start at one uni and wish I went to the other :/

If I was you I'd just firm Slade. I'm sure you've got into Goldsmiths, but if you're certain that Slade is your first choice then it seems irrelevant now? All it would be is a confidence boost, but it wouldn't be greater than the one you got from the offer from Slade so would it matter? If you're still unsure about your first choice then I would wait it out, but if you're completely certain then there seems little point in hanging around for Goldsmiths.

My boyfriend is having similar problems deciding whether to do illustration at Brighton (for which he has an unconditional) or Graphic design at CSM (I think its going to be Brighton, though). I think maybe one way of looking at it would be to go for the one you feel you would probably end up regretting least, perhaps? You can always transfer in second year, too.

I have a feeling that Goldsmiths would be challenging for any artist, in my interview they spoke about how they have a highly critical approach to student's work so that they push their boundries and limitations by making them question their work constantly, and how there is no real 'language' at Goldsmiths (which is something I disagree with somewhat... everyone knows how concept-orientated they are) and that everyone works from a completely blank slate. Camberwell is a fantastic course, but, supposing you got into both, you would probably find yourself more challenged at Goldsmiths, I reckon.

You really have a point. It wouldn't be a confidence boost as such, however, its more that I'm simply very intrigued as to see whether someone as interested in the physical process of creating artwork could get into a course like Goldsmiths (also, was just such a crazy interview, would sort of feel like a waste of effort lol). However, If I were to be offered a place, I still wouldn't take it, so you really have a point.

Maybe I should firm Slade just incase Goldsmiths were to want me, so as to (hypothetically) free up a potential place for someone for whom Goldsmiths is a first choice?? Not that I think I would get an offer from them, but I'd hate to be the reason for which someone else got rejected...
Reply 553
Original post by Zoeah
My boyfriend is having similar problems deciding whether to do illustration at Brighton (for which he has an unconditional) or Graphic design at CSM (I think its going to be Brighton, though). I think maybe one way of looking at it would be to go for the one you feel you would probably end up regretting least, perhaps? You can always transfer in second year, too.

I have a feeling that Goldsmiths would be challenging for any artist, in my interview they spoke about how they have a highly critical approach to student's work so that they push their boundries and limitations by making them question their work constantly, and how there is no real 'language' at Goldsmiths (which is something I disagree with somewhat... everyone knows how concept-orientated they are) and that everyone works from a completely blank slate. Camberwell is a fantastic course, but, supposing you got into both, you would probably find yourself more challenged at Goldsmiths, I reckon.

You really have a point. It wouldn't be a confidence boost as such, however, its more that I'm simply very intrigued as to see whether someone as interested in the physical process of creating artwork could get into a course like Goldsmiths (also, was just such a crazy interview, would sort of feel like a waste of effort lol). However, If I were to be offered a place, I still wouldn't take it, so you really have a point.

Maybe I should firm Slade just incase Goldsmiths were to want me, so as to (hypothetically) free up a potential place for someone for whom Goldsmiths is a first choice?? Not that I think I would get an offer from them, but I'd hate to be the reason for which someone else got rejected...

It's difficult. I think I'd be more challenged at Goldsmiths too, which is why I'm more interested in studying there, as I think challenge is good. I feel like I could be pushed more there and get more out of the course.
I am interested in the writing side too, so I don't mind that they are heavy on theory.
However I'm concerned that I won't get on with the tutors and that they'll be overly critical for the sake of it and that il end up hating the place.
The physical process and making is a large reason for why I make art work, but I don't see why that would rule me or you out of one uni. Their going to want a varied group of students, they wouldn't gain from everyone's work being the same.
Sounds like everyone is having strange interviews, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Don't worry about other applicants though, that's not your problem! I just feel like it would be a weight of your shoulders to accept Slade and then you can stop fretting! And if you said you only need to pass art foundation then the insurance choice doesn't really matter as you're bound to meet the conditions.
Original post by Zoeah

Maybe wait until the end of the week, and if Goldsmiths haven't got back to you move on with you application. But if you're really curious about whether you got in then there's no harm in waiting.
I too would be worried about taking a place away from someone else, but if you reject them straight away they'll probably have time to offer it again.
Reply 555
Just got a place at the Slade for BA fine art!
Original post by ART1

Well done! Where else are you waiting for now? Is it just Goldsmiths or haven't you applied there? :biggrin: My apologies I have a brain like a sieve haha.
Reply 557
Well done! Where else are you waiting for now? Is it just Goldsmiths or haven't you applied there? :biggrin: My apologies I have a brain like a sieve haha.

I didn't go for Goldsmiths, Slade was the last to respond!
Original post by ART1

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 559
Original post by ART1

congratulations!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest