The Student Room Group

What does the adjective fat mean to you?

Scroll to see replies

When they are clearly overweight eg. broader than most guys, love handles, wobbly thighs and belly etc.
Reply 41
Original post by the bear
there was a young lady from Perth
who never took care of her girth;
all the pies and the chips
ended up on her hips
?????????????????

can anyone flesh out the last line ?

:beard:

And her mum thought she was gonna give birth?

(Cos she was fat :teehee:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
So did the men pick the first option and the women pick the third option.
i did not say that 100% of fat people share the traits i mentioned. maybe 95%. it is possible that you fall into the other 5%.

Ah stats pulled out of your arse. The best kind, aren't they. :rolleyes:
Reply 44
there was a young lady from Perth
who never took care of her girth;
all the pies and the chips
ended up on her hips
?????????????????

can anyone flesh out the last line ?

:beard:

Until to a feast she gave birth. :biggrin:
Fat is neither "a bit chubbier" nor "obese". It's kinda in between, like big, round and a bit overweight, at least that's the connotations I picture. I think fat is a mean word anyway. It's implications and the word-user's (usually bully's) intentions are derogatory. I got called a fat slag once, it was comical. :laugh: Pathetic people. I think "fat" starts in between the second and third options but I selected the third option as that's kinda how I see it. I mean no offense to anyone. Fat is socially a stupid adjective, it should just stay as a noun i.e. body fat.
Reply 46
When you say the word fat a few bad traits pop into my head:

1. Ugly

2. Low self-esteem/hates themselves

3. poverty

4. uneducated/stupid
Pretty sure the second one about tight clothes applies more to blokes who want everyone to know that they've been at the gym.
Reply 48
Original post by Red one
When you say the word fat a few bad traits pop into my head:

1. Ugly

2. Low self-esteem/hates themselves

3. poverty

4. uneducated/stupid

You're projecting.

Is this some kind of troll meme, because someone else made another identical post already?
Reply 49
Original post by cole-slaw
You're projecting.

Is this some kind of troll meme, because someone else made another identical post already?

Projecting what? Care to elaborate?

I made that post after reading the title. When I think the word fat I immediately picture an ugly and self-hating person.
Reply 50
Original post by Red one
Projecting what? Care to elaborate?

I made that post after reading the title. When I think the word fat I immediately picture an ugly and self-hating person.

The word "Fat" doesn't mean that. Look in a dictionary.

Projecting means that when I say "X" you say "ugly and self-hating".

It doesn't matter what X is, because all you have on your mind is "ugly and self-hating" because that is how you view the world, and by extension, yourself.

I say potato, you say "ugly and self-hating"
I say continuum, you say "ugly and self-hating"
I say "Red one" you say "ugly and self-hating".
Reply 51
The word "Fat" doesn't mean that. Look in a dictionary.

Projecting means that when I say "X" you say "ugly and self-hating".

It doesn't matter what X is, because all you have on your mind is "ugly and self-hating" because that is how you view the world, and by extension, yourself.

I say potato, you say "ugly and self-hating"
I say continuum, you say "ugly and self-hating"
I say "Red one" you say "ugly and self-hating".

Haha :teehee: What is it with pseudo-intellectuals on TSR and psychoanalysis? That's a major leap from saying X is Y to saying that X is Y because Y is an extension of me.

Do you have anything to back it up? Or do you make a habit of making wild and obscure conjectures out of thin air?

By your logic your defensiveness following my initial point could be interpreted as you "projecting" as you were offended by the connotations of ugly and self-hating to the word fat.

Moreover are you fat?

Am I doing it right? :mmm:
Reply 52
Original post by Red one
Haha :teehee: What is it with pseudo-intellectuals on TSR and psychoanalysis? That's a major leap from saying X is Y to saying that X is Y because Y is an extension of me.

Do you have anything to back it up? Or do you make a habit of making wild and obscure conjectures out of thin air?

By your logic your defensiveness following my initial point could be interpreted as you "projecting" as you were offended by the connotations of ugly and self-hating to the word fat.

Moreover are you fat?

Am I doing it right? :mmm:

No.

I'm just explaining that if you give completely the wrong definition of a word as you did, there are three possible explanations, either you're chronically stupid and/or don't really understand english, you have personal issues that you are projecting onto others, or you're a troll. You said in another thread that you weren't a troll, your English seems generally competent, so the only remaining conclusion is that you're projecting.
Reply 53
No.

I'm just explaining that if you give completely the wrong definition of a word as you did, there are three possible explanations, either you're chronically stupid and/or don't really understand english, you have personal issues that you are projecting onto others, or you're a troll. You said in another thread that you weren't a troll, your English seems generally competent, so the only remaining conclusion is that you're projecting.

You're overreaching and otherwise labouring a point which doesn't have any real merit or indeed evidence. The OP didn't ask us for a literal definition of the word he asked what fat means to you implying that he is interested in any connotations or implications we derive from the word.

You've gone off a long winded tangent about my comprehension when your reading capacity appears impaired without even doing as much as establishing any evidence for your abstruse and visibly dubious conjecture.
Reply 54
Original post by Red one
You're overreaching and otherwise labouring a point which doesn't have any real merit or indeed evidence. The OP didn't ask us for a literal definition of the word he asked what fat means to you implying that he is interested in any connotations or implications we derive from the word.

You've gone off a long winded tangent about my comprehension when your reading capacity appears impaired without even doing as much as establishing any evidence for your abstruse and visibly dubious conjecture.

Visibly dubious? Do you mean ostensibly dubious? Visibly makes no sense in that context.

The fact that the word "fat" means something to you that it doesn't mean to anyone else in the entire universe tells us all we need to know.
Reply 55

The fact that the word "fat" means something to you that it doesn't mean to anyone else in the entire universe tells us all we need to know.

It doesn't matter what it means to anyone else, the OP asks us directly what fat means to us as individuals. Hello, are we speaking English or what? :rolleyes:

How do you know what everyone in the entire world thinks when they hear the word fat? This is what I meant when I said that you have a habit of making conjectures. Frankly, you're pulling stuff out of your ass at this point.

:giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Red one
It doesn't matter what it means to anyone else, the OP asks us directly what fat means to us as individuals. Hello, are we speaking English or what? :rolleyes:

How do you know what everyone in the entire world thinks when they hear the word fat? This is what I mean with making conjectures you're pulling stuff out of your ass at this point.

:giggle:

The word fat has a specific meaning. That is how language works. You can say that to you, black means white, white means purple and yellow means red, but that doesn't change the meaning of those words, all that means is that you're an idiot. You can equally try and tell us that to you, fat means poor and uneducated. But again, all it shows is that you're stupid*.

*Or in reality, it shows us that you're trolling, which everyone here already knew.

You don't really think that fat means uneducated. You just like the idea of trying to bully and intimidate normal weight people into anorexia because you're an extremely psychotically disturbed individual.
Reply 57
The word fat has a specific meaning. That is how language works. You can say that to you, black means white, white means purple and yellow means red, but that doesn't change the meaning of those words, all that means is that you're an idiot. You can equally try and tell us that to you, fat means poor and uneducated. But again, all it shows is that you're stupid*.

*Or in reality, it shows us that you're trolling, which everyone here already knew.

You don't really think that fat means uneducated. You just like the idea of trying to bully and intimidate normal weight people into anorexia because you're an extremely psychotically disturbed individual.

I don't know how many times I can reiterate myself without beginning to sound like a broken record but here goes... The OP is interested in our individual perception of the word fat, my interpretation is not aligned with yours and that's perfectly acceptable however they're both valid in the context of this thread, this is the point that eludes you. I find it comical that someone who repeatedly fails to comprehend the simple point of this thread has the gall to lecture me on how language works - certainly not the way you think it does judging by your responses. :lol:

You attach an overabundance of emotion to your posts which gives me the impression that you're currently too distressed to engage in a level-headed discussion as a result I'm going to discontinue this conversation for the time being. :smile:
Reply 58
It means 'awesome', because the Danish language has poisoned my mind.
Reply 59
Original post by keromedic
I thought so too. But with the amount of people arguing that they, or certain others, aren't fat I realised that fat didn't simply mean a bit overweight for some.

Original post by Emilehh
Fat is a derogatory term used to try and shame larger people into not being large. Be who you are, I say!

Too many people thinking that they aren't overweight.

Although, I have a problem with the use of the word overweight as it can be heavily skewed for a fair percentage of athletes. I'd prefer 'overfat', if it were a term. A lot of people I would call 'overfat' (overweight, but with a poor bodyfat percentage - say 20-25% and above) seem to think that they are perfectly healthy just sitting around on the sofa watching TV. It's getting bad.

Personally I hit the gym five times a week with sprint interval training on top of heavy weights sessions. My goal weight would actually categorise me in the middle of the overweight section of the BMI ranges. I do it fairly intensely, but it's not that hard to go for a 25-30 minute jog every morning before work/uni/school or, if you can't manage the morning, go at night. I've been for runs with sprint training as late as 2am on campus haha. Btw heavy interval training and circuit training is far better for burning fat that purely going for a slow jog. And doesn't have to last as long.

Also manage your food better by cutting out more fat and sugars. Eating less will help some people too. It's very easy to say "one bit of chocolate won't hurt". But it's very easy to do that all the time and it builds up. Keep it low, have it as special treat a couple of times per week at most.

Additionally joining clubs which do some form of dancing or martials arts or thereabouts can be intense but are great for getting in shape. My sister recently lost 2 stones and toned herself up by doing a lot of cheerleading.

Well... this has turned into me trying to give advice about losing weight haha, but I do feel quite strongly about this ever increasing problem. In every sense of the phrase.

Quick Reply

Latest