The Student Room Group

Best 'Cramming' success story you know..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fortitude
The Sherlock way :holmes: :wink:

Lol oh yes! :wink:
Reply 41
For my Higher Biology, I never turned up to class (long story, heh) and when I did it was only for the practicals. I tried to do independent study during the year but could never read more than a page and got bored easily.

Less than two weeks before the exam, I finally decided that perhaps I needed to study harder :tongue: I spent literally 12-14 hours a day cramming everything in (not recommended) and ended up with an A. It was the only A I got but I'm still damned proud of it. My brain was just mush after that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Was expelled (very unfairly) from school in March Year 13. Was on BBC with my final exam session in june coming up.

Started cramming one exam 24 hours before (about 40 pages of notes)

Got 100% in 4 exams, 95%+ in my other 3 ...ended up getting A*A*A overall with no teaching all self taught

just learn the mark schemes and your notes by writing them out over and over, thats what i did. Had about 2hrs sleep over 3 days.

Anything is possible , believe me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Started revising for A Levels under a month before final exams. Got 3 A*s and an A.
Reply 44
I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I got a 2:1 in a pretty difficult degree without going in years 2-3. I just crammed by studying past papers and making sure I could answer every question in there. A level and university lecturers are quite lazy and don't vary the theme of the questions much, and in most cases the syllabus doesn't change much.

The key is knowing you can do past papers.
Original post by Top Queen
What is the best result you've heard someone achieve in their A-Level results with a month or under revision.

Personally, mine is my brother. He started his Maths revision 16 days before the exam and got an A* in the A-Level.

Legend has it that little timmy didn't revise a single minute of his whole time in college. Nevertheless he was predicted very high grades and for this reason his parents did everything they could to make him study. Little timmy was a stubborn little runt and didn't have any of it. On the day of the exam however, little timmy realised that he better do some work or else he would not be able to live up to what was expected of him.

As they were handing out the exam papers, little timmy seized the opportunity and did some last minute cramming.

Little timmy got 4A*s for his a-levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by alow
Started revising for A Levels under a month before final exams. Got 3 A*s and an A.

That's crazy! How did you make your revision so effective? How did you manage to do Biology revision in a month and get an A :eek:
Reply 47
That's crazy! How did you make your revision so effective? How did you manage to do Biology revision in a month and get an A :eek:

I'm quite a fast worker (past papers never took me more than 20-25 minutes) so I could get a lot done in a short amount of time.
Reply 48
Original post by mandem2k11
Was expelled (very unfairly) from school in March Year 13. Was on BBC with my final exam session in june coming up.

Got 100% in 4 exams, 95%+ in my other 3 ...ended up getting A*A*A overall with no teaching all self taught

just learn the mark schemes and your notes by writing them out over and over, thats what i did. Had about 2hrs sleep over 3 days.

What subjects did you do?

Well done!!!
Original post by alow

I haven't started revising for my 11 exams yet. Hopefully I'll be able to pull this off though :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Mindless Behavior
I haven't started revising for my 11 exams yet. Hopefully I'll be able to pull this off though :smile:

If you're dumb, you don't have a hair's breadth of a chance.
For an A2 biology exam I memorised all the notes on that exam within one day (I also did an all nighter with the aid of lots and lots of coffee :biggrin:) and I got 95 UMS for that exam :biggrin::biggrin: it was a miracle to be honest :tongue:
Friend got some crazy mark in A Level History and she revised on the train on the way there, she wasn't lazy just already had the A in the bag, turned out she could have done it for all exams.

Not strictly speaking cramming but a mate was literally assured an A in Biology (back in the days of 6 units he'd done 5 and got full marks in the lot, putting him on exactly 80% with the summative to go) and turned up to the only summer Bio exam, his last, basically still absolutely hammered from the night out to celebrate the last exam he had which counted the night before, think he'd had a can to 'take the edge off the hangover'. He got 89% in that exam, he's going to be a doctor in a year and a bit, God help us all.
My gosh! That is amazing, so you did no revision beforehand? :eek:

Thank you :colondollar: only for a few topic tests dotted around the year, nothing substantial :tongue:
Original post by KingStannis
You're making me feel slightly better about about my situation.

What's your situation then? :teehee: I'm glad, though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Thank you :colondollar: only for a few topic tests dotted around the year, nothing substantial :tongue:

What's your situation then? :teehee: I'm glad, though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a week to relearn Italian and German unification, and practice the exams. Also, I need to brush up my Tudor Knowledge.

I need to relearn Micro economics in this same week, and finish Macro by two weeks.

I need to revise Philosophy and ethics.

I need to learn my set/wide texts in English and practice the papers within two weeks.

So quite a lot. Apart from the Economics, I understood all of it when I did it, so the problem is quantity and exam technique at the minute. Still panicking though.
Reply 55
Original post by Mindless Behavior

Good luck :smile:

Original post by Manic Boy

True dat.
Revised History a week before, got a A. :smile:
Original post by Manic Boy

3 A*s and an A is probably a bit ambitious :colondollar:

(I'm not dumb though, don't worry)
Original post by mandem2k11

Nicely done,what subjects?

OP,I usually 'peak' my knowledge of a subject when I revise constantly for about a week.I've only really been hardcore revising AS biology for the last two days and things are looking good.The problem is my exams are packed so close together so I don't have time to devote to only one subject.But yeah,I'm expecting four As.Maybe one or two Bs that I can push up at A2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Changing Skies

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is so amazing! What did you do to revise?

Quick Reply

Latest