The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

anyone that travels to uni from london

im trying to make a guestimate of how much ill be travelling to uni daily from my home in london

anyone makes the journey could you please tell me some details like where from and how long it takes you.
Original post by nmjasdk
im trying to make a guestimate of how much ill be travelling to uni daily from my home in london

anyone makes the journey could you please tell me some details like where from and how long it takes you.

Where about's in london do you live. I live in morden, surrey (aka end of the northern line). I usually get the train from wimbledon to guildford and it takes me between 1 hour and 30mins to 2 hours to get to Surrey uni.

Have you tried looking on journey planner, it will tell you how long it will take. :-)
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by kat19892012
Where about's in london do you live. I live in morden, surrey (aka end of the northern line). I usually get the train from wimbledon to guildford and it takes me between 1 hour and 30mins to 2 hours to get to Surrey uni.

Have you tried looking on journey planner, it will tell you how long it will take. :-)

i live in the eastern side. on average could you give me a more specific time it takes you to get their. i would be willing to travel an hour and a half, but 2 hours (if its quite a lot of the time) is just past my limit.

its a bit weird the times because i know people who go to kingston university and it should take just the same amount of time but they are saying it takes them an hour 20-30 maybe 4-50 maybe even an hour 10.
Original post by nmjasdk
i live in the eastern side. on average could you give me a more specific time it takes you to get their. i would be willing to travel an hour and a half, but 2 hours (if its quite a lot of the time) is just past my limit.

its a bit weird the times because i know people who go to kingston university and it should take just the same amount of time but they are saying it takes them an hour 20-30 maybe 4-50 maybe even an hour 10.

Its hard to give a more specific time, as it depends on the time of day, traffic and changing from bus to train. I guess you could say normally 1 hour 30 up to 1 hour 45mins ( if i have to wait longer for buses).

Perhaps have a look on google maps or journey planner, it will give you a better estimate. As it may take us a different amount of time, as we live in different parts of london.

With Kingston uni, it depends how they are travelling there. With Kingston, if you travel by bus in the rush hour, it would take alot longer, as you spend most of the time sitting in traffic. (I used to go to school near there and my friend went to Kingston uni).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Its hard to give a more specific time, as it depends on the time of day, traffic and changing from bus to train. I guess you could say normally 1 hour 30 up to 1 hour 45mins ( if i have to wait longer for buses).

Perhaps have a look on google maps or journey planner, it will give you a better estimate. As it may take us a different amount of time, as we live in different parts of london.

With Kingston uni, it depends how they are travelling there. With Kingston, if you travel by bus in the rush hour, it would take alot longer, as you spend most of the time sitting in traffic. (I used to go to school near there and my friend went to Kingston uni).

ok sorry to bother just a few more stuff, im wondering is it common thing a lot of people do staying at home in london.
also im wondering how long it takes you to get to your train station and how long the train takes to waterloo as it'd help me get an understanding of how long it would take me. thx
Reply 5

oh an i forgot to ask how often does the bus from the station to the uni come and how long does it take. I unfortuantely walked it thinking it would take a few minutes but ended up takeing a long route and i think its why it took me an hour 50 minutes to get to the university.
Original post by nmjasdk
ok sorry to bother just a few more stuff, im wondering is it common thing a lot of people do staying at home in london.
also im wondering how long it takes you to get to your train station and how long the train takes to waterloo as it'd help me get an understanding of how long it would take me. thx

Thats ok, no problem.

I think its probably half and half. It works out cheaper to stay at home.

I generally go to Wimbledon to get a train direct to guildford. This takes me approximately 25-30mins. (Sometimes its less if its very early in the morning before rush hour).

From guildford to waterloo. Most trains take 35-40 minutes. But the slow ones take 1 hour. They have loads of trains that go from waterloo to guildford. So you would have a good chance of getting the faster one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nmjasdk
oh an i forgot to ask how often does the bus from the station to the uni come and how long does it take. I unfortuantely walked it thinking it would take a few minutes but ended up takeing a long route and i think its why it took me an hour 50 minutes to get to the university.

Buses from the station come approximately every 10 minutes. And it takes 5 minutes on the bus, from the station to the uni.

If you use google maps, it will tell you the quickest route for you. That's probably the most accurate source.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending