The Student Room Group

Muslim father beats daughter for dating a white

'You have no faith in God. I'm going to kill you before the community find out': Muslim father slapped and beat his 14-year-old daughter with a tennis racquet when she started dating white boy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626182/You-no-faith-God-Im-going-kill-community-Muslim-father-slapped-beat-14-year-old-daughter-tennis-racquet-started-dating-white-boy.html

Scroll to see replies

And he's a racist scumbag.
Dating is not allowed in Islam. Period.

although beating with a baseball bat (was it?) is a bit excessive.
Reply 3
Original post by Abdul-Karim

um...?
and yeah it might not be but people also have to realise that times are changing. We can only stick to traditions for so long before they don't apply to everyday life anymore.
(edited 9 years ago)
The fact that this family is muslim is more of an after-thought, I feel. It's more about the upbringing. I find it interesting how they don't mention their background. From the defence counsel, Mohammed Nawaz, I'd say that they're Pakistani.

People have to remember that culture and religion are different yet are often mixed up. In this case, by the father. His second sentence is actually representative of the whole problem: I'm going to kill you before the community find out.

Sexual relationships pre-marriage aren't allowed in Islam, that's true. So, that doesn't make a girl a good muslim. That said, the father isn't one either for wanting to kill her and beating her up.

In these type of backgrounds, I can't emphasise how important the sense of community is. What the community think of a person is sadly one of the most important, if not the important, drive between the actions of people from this type of background.

We hear about people in India or other places being stoned to death in rural villages or raped because they tried to run away with someone or something. It's because of the community's view that the person is no good/whore etc and as a result the family feels shame/embarrassment.

Most people that do this type of beating and think like this are often from a working class/rural background without much education. Actually, in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan etc, the difference between the wealthy and the poor is absolutely huge. Here, we expect the poor to have a tv and a council flat at least. There, the poor have maybe straw huts at best or are beggars on the streets while the rich live in huge mansions with guards and servants and have gone to international schools and can speak better English than even some of us.

Even a middle class family will live in the city, have a tv, some servants and the kids will go to university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim

His beliefs don't make it okay to lay a hand on someone else though does it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Father is ashamed of his daughters actions and is more scared that it will damage the reputation of the family, sad but true.
Reply 7
This is appalling. Which father would beat her daughter ?

Dating is prohibited in Islam but that in no way gives him the right to beat her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think most girls from traditional asian families would be treated like this if they dated a white. This is typical multiculturalism, we show tolerance to a group of people that do not reciprocate.
Daily mail.

Dating is prohibited

Beating is abuse and is prohibited

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its **** like this that leads to young women stabbed to death and stuffed into a suitcase.
Not all cultures are equal. Those here in this country that say they are, are selling themselves short.
Some cultures are dreadful.
Its no coincidence that this is the same patriachal culture that tells women to cover themselves from head to toe for " their own " benefit.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'll never understand a "community" that rates what other people think above the happiness of your family.
I suppose a good thing is that at least the daughter hasn't grown up having the same backwards attitude as her dad has
Reply 13
Daily Mail are defo trying it here.

No need to play on the fact the father is a Muslim imo since we know it effects other communities too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess What?
He's RACIST :frown:
Dating allowed in Islam? Yes and no really you just have to be very commited to each other, yeah your not allowed to have sex and so so but you can talk and see each other you just have to be sure that's the one.

Yeah you have to ask her dads premission but as a girl I hate that, because it shows that the guy isn't thinking about my happiness... Which makes me sad.
Can we all just grow out of religion, it's such a inconvenience
culture is equally bad, I come from a Sikh family so i'm Indian.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are a lot of people in this day and age that still hit their kids, It's not right, but it still happens. Don't know why this specific story is in the newpaper though, it happens, the daily mail and their tricks to brainwash people against islam strikes again. (btw I beleive dating in islam is allowed as long as the couple intend to get married, there no pre-marital sex and the parents are aware. As long as it is love and not lust that is driving a relationship, things are alright imo)
I think from the father's POV he want's what's best for his daughter so would want someone from the same culture/religion but it's pretty obvious his actions were very excessive. I'm sure his actions really pleased his God :rolleyes:

Original post by Ggmu!
Daily Mail are defo trying it here.

No need to play on the fact the father is a Muslim imo since we know it effects other communities too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This, but it is the Daily Fail lol.
I think the headline would be more appropriately changed to "abusive father beats daughter". The fact that he's Muslim is really an irrelevant fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending