The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

The only good thing about QPR going up is that they will probably try and buy Ashley Young.
Feel so ****ing low right now.

All of the possession, all of the chances (Green made several good saves) and they score with their only shot on target from our captain's mistake. In the last minute too.

Anybody that says we didn't deserve to go up, in that game or indeed over the course of the season, is a straight up liar. Interesting how they're all fans of top half teams as well - United fans living in London and such.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scott129
Feel so ****ing low right now.

All of the possession, all of the chances (Green made several good saves) and they score with their only shot on target from our captain's mistake. In the last minute too.

Anybody that says we didn't deserve to go up, in that game or indeed over the course of the season, is a straight up liar. Interesting how they're all fans of top half teams as well - United fans living in London and such.

I stand by what I said. The game is about sticking the ball in the net and you have to do that when you're completely dominating the game. If you don't and it comes back to bite you on the backside then I think you do get what you deserve.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I stand by what I said. The game is about sticking the ball in the net and you have to do that when you're completely dominating the game. If you don't and it comes back to bite you on the backside then I think you do get what you deserve.

The only reason they didn't get it in the net was because of a spectacular performance by Green and a cynical challenge by O'Neil. Even at 11v11 QPR were dour, awful and made no attempt to win the game. Derby were by far the better side and a QPR win was completely undeserved.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The only reason they didn't get it in the net was because of a spectacular performance by Green and a cynical challenge by O'Neil. Even at 11v11 QPR were dour, awful and made no attempt to win the game. Derby were by far the better side and a QPR win was completely undeserved.

Exactly.

Check out O'Neil's classy tweets after the game as well:

Gary O'Neil ‏@Gazoneil 4h

To the fans sending me abuse! I thought Russell was going to score and knew I was getting a red! But decided to do it to ... 1/2

..help the team and thankfully it worked out! First red in 15 years!! Worth it now tho eh? #ladssaiditwasagooddecision

Buck-toothed ****.

That's why teams have keepers.

I wanted Derby to win because I don't think McClaren is held in as high regard as he should be and I'd rather not see Redknapp succeed because it will make people think he's great when he's not. I can't bring myself to show any sympathy for them though. As I said earlier I thought they lacked a bit of creativity, especially on corners. It was frustrating to watch.

I'd understand what you were saying if we didn't create actually any clear-cut chances. But the only thing that stopped us getting at least a goal was Rob Green.

We were unlucky, no doubt about it.
Exactly.

To the fans sending me abuse! I thought Russell was going to score and knew I was getting a red! But decided to do it to ... 1/2

..help the team and thankfully it worked out! First red in 15 years!! Worth it now tho eh? #ladssaiditwasagooddecision

Buck-toothed ****.

I wouldn't be happy if my defender didn't do what O'Neil did.
Exactly.

Buck-toothed ****.

Well that first tweet opens up the question of whether just a red is suitable in such situations - Russell is in with a one-on-one if he doesn't get fouled, I think it was Clint Hill on his right, but he wasn't going to get across to stop Russell. He would have had one chance, and almost certainly a free strike at any rebounds - by fouling him, O'Neil may have got a red card, but he's allowed QPR to get their defence set, and also got the defence back to cover - in the end blocking the shot from the free-kick. A red for O'Neil is certainly preferable to conceding as far as QPR are concerned, but does that just encourage cheating?

Pretty classless person though - hope they go straight back down.

What does that mean for derby though - with the hype around Hughes I can't imagine you could keep hold of him without offering Prem football?
Well that first tweet opens up the question of whether just a red is suitable in such situations - Russell is in with a one-on-one if he doesn't get fouled, I think it was Clint Hill on his right, but he wasn't going to get across to stop Russell. He would have had one chance, and almost certainly a free strike at any rebounds - by fouling him, O'Neil may have got a red card, but he's allowed QPR to get their defence set, and also got the defence back to cover - in the end blocking the shot from the free-kick. A red for O'Neil is certainly preferable to conceding as far as QPR are concerned, but does that just encourage cheating?

I agree with you here. In an ideal world there would be some further punishment. Not sure what that would be though. Whilst the rules are what they are though, you do what O'Neil did.
I wouldn't be happy if my defender didn't do what O'Neil did.

Bragging about it on a social networking site though? As I say, pretty damn classless.

By all means, celebrate, congratulate the fans, whatever. Just don't make a joke about it with a hashtag like that. "Lads said it was a good decision HUR HUR HUR".

What does that mean for derby though - with the hype around Hughes I can't imagine you could keep hold of him without offering Prem football?

I don't have an issue with the challenge, as such. I wouldn't be against retrospective action against him as he's admitted to not even trying to win the ball but, as MagicRat said, I'd expect my defenders to do the same probably. It's just the way he's chosen to address it which makes him a ****.

Wouldn't be too bothered if we sold Hughes, I'd much rather have Bryson and Hendrick in midfield. If it gave us some sizeable funds to go and buy George Thorne permanently, I'd snap a bidder's hand off. It seems sad but the only thing going through my mind when the FT whistle went was that we may never see the likes of Thorne, Wisdom and Bamford in a Derby shirt again. I genuinely think we could be a considerably weaker team without them next season :frown:
I don't have an issue with the challenge, as such. I wouldn't be against retrospective action against him as he's admitted to not even trying to win the ball but, as MagicRat said, I'd expect my defenders to do the same probably. It's just the way he's chosen to address it which makes him a ****.

Wouldn't be too bothered if we sold Hughes, I'd much rather have Bryson and Hendrick in midfield. If it gave us some sizeable funds to go and buy George Thorne permanently, I'd snap a bidder's hand off. It seems sad but the only thing going through my mind when the FT whistle went was that we may never see the likes of Thorne, Wisdom and Bamford in a Derby shirt again. I genuinely think we could be a considerably weaker team without them next season :frown:

Look no further than Watford as a prime example of how not to come back from playoff despair, and look to Leicester as to how to come back. So long as you don't change the team too much, you should still be up there.

PRSOM

I'm less fussed about keeping Hughes as I am about Thorne. He's been great. Bamford & Wisdom I'm less bothered about. Hopefully the Mac will get a couple of signings & loan players in as that's really all we need as long as we don't loose any others.

It's not cheating, it's a professional foul, no intent to deceive the referee whereas diving is what you should consider cheating as there is attempt to deceive the referee.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
It's not cheating, it's a professional foul, no intent to deceive the referee whereas diving is what you should consider cheating as there is attempt to deceive the referee.

Its bad sportmansship really. Getting yourself sent off to stop a bloke scoring seems kind of unfair.
Original post by CraigWM
Its bad sportmansship really. Getting yourself sent off to stop a bloke scoring seems kind of unfair.

It's not unfair as the other team benefits from having one man extra. It's really no different to a defender commiting a professional foul and getting a yellow as a result to stop the opposition from counter attacking that could potentially lead to a goal. It's called taking one for the team and no doubt players in every team do this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
It's not unfair as the other team benefits from having one man extra. It's really no different to a defender commiting a professional foul and getting a yellow as a result to stop the opposition from counter attacking that could potentially lead to a goal. It's called taking one for the team and no doubt players in every team do this.

Not necessarily though, the prime. Example is Suarez v Ghana back in WC2010 - handling it stopped the goal that would have knocked them out, and they went on to win on penalties. Now, how do Ghana benefit in that situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily though, the prime. Example is Suarez v Ghana back in WC2010 - handling it stopped the goal that would have knocked them out, and they went on to win on penalties. Now, how do Ghana benefit in that situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like that is genuinely what a footballer SHOULD do in that situation.

Tactically it makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the case of somebody preventing a goal by deliberate handball I think a 'penalty goal' should be awarded and the offender booked.

For cases where it's denying an 'obvious goalscoring opportunity' it's a bit harder. I recently re-qualified as a referee and we were told that IFAB is considering an amendment to the rules on this whereby only if the penalty is missed does the offender get sent off and if it's outside the area I assume automatic red.

This is still open to abuse though as a team might decide to deliberately miss to get a one man advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest